What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Brown leaf tips

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Yup, would make very much sense, because when you over water nitrogen gets locked out if the medium stays too wet, so back off on the watering as much, it is happening towards the upper part of the plant which means water is sitting down at the end of the pot for long periods, mostly due to heavy watering or frequent waterings and not allowing it to dry out a bit before the next watering.

Queso45

Wow so both of those issues (yellowing at bottom and curling at top) could have been caused by me slightly overwatering them? I know when plants are young you're supposed to let the soil dry out completely. I've been under the impression that flowering plants are treated slightly different.

Its kind of ridiculous for me to do the lift method at this point. I can't really tell the difference anymore now that these pots are 5 gallons. They're both heavy as shit. I guess 5 days in between watering is what my plants are telling me they want.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
YEllowing of the plants is due to nitrogen deficiency/lockout or lack of o2, when you get leaves curling underlike that along with yellowing, overwatering can help cause the yellowing, because nitrogen gets poorly absorbed in soils that stay too wet. Give the factor nitrogen is not very plentiful and you have more to the problem.

The curling is just build up of salts left over that has acumulated, caused by not giving it plain water once in a while.
It's like us, we eat food we need and our body removes what we don't need. Planets take in food from the soil and leave the stuff they don't need, well when it builds up it causes problems.

Your never supposed to let it dry out completely to where the soil is moving away from the rim of the pots, that can cause a big problem with the way organics are absorbed when plants are in organic mixtures.
Always have a slight moist to them, but after touching it your fingers feel dry quickly, when this happens it's time to water.

When you get them into that size pot, it is true it gets harder to tell, so you have to go by the plants tell you. I flowered in all 5 gallon pots unless the plant was growing short and fat.

Queso45

I'm thinking its time for me to up the dosage of nutrients in each of my feedings. I'm almost certain that my plants could use a bit more calcium, because I'm seeing more of those orangy spots like I was a few weeks ago.

I've been feeding 2 ml cal-mag and 2.5 ml Iguana bloom. Do you think it would be okay if I fed 4ml cal-mag at next watering? Today the plant was given just RO water.

Heres my northern lights plant:

I'm worried my big cheese plant will get a little more deficient by next watering. I'll bring her to see you when I take some more pics tomorrow.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Yes, since you are using RO water it's ok to up the dosage, I never seen a C deficiency like that before but it never hurts to try it.

Up it to the dosage you listed.
Is it spreading to the leaves?

Queso45

It starts off as small dots and its only on a handful of leaves. The spots like the one I pointed to in the first picture was from what you said was a buildup of cal/mag when i fed it too much microblast.

Do you think its safe to use microblast at next feeding too? How much?

I'll try to get you some better pictures.

Queso45

Here are some close ups of the spotting issues.

My small cheese plant is beginning to show the spots:

My northern lights has a lot of spots:

Heres a shot of the underside of a leaf

Is this a calcium def or something else?

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
yup, calcium deficiency! Now it's full blown enough to show it's face. Yes it is a calcium problem.

Yours started out very very odd... first time I seen it like that happen. It seems it started out very slowly and ended up turning necrotic and not showing it, because it was getting just the bare minimum calcium.

that is why it did not look like a normal one.

Queso45

Shit looks a lot worse

Shit looks a lot worse

So even though I fed them all 2.5 Iguana and 4 ml cal-mag at last watering.... something is definitely wrong. I check my PH at every watering now, and its never out of range. I am really getting worried, but I don't know what to do anymore.

Side Note: My Third Cheese plant is showing BARELY any problems. Next to the other plants it virtually has nothing wrong with it.

I'm at day 43 I believe. I was planning on taking my plants 60+ days.

Cheese

Northern Lights

Does this ever start eating away at the bud? Its looking awfully close

Last edited:

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Queso45 said:
Here are some close ups of the spotting issues.
My northern lights has a lot of spots:
Heres a shot of the underside of a leaf

Is this a calcium def or something else?

I get this same spotting on my NLs over and over and Ive had a hell of a time figuring it out. Yes it looks like Cal def but I dose Cal-Mag pretty heavily and it's still there (hydro btw) and slowly progressing. It starts as spotting then crisps up the leaf from the tip back. I think it's something with the NL genetics that makes them very picky. Id love to figure it out so Ill keep checking your thread.

Queso45

Its good to know I might not be the only one having this frustration. Do your plants ever look like this?

I sure hope stitch has another trick up her sleeve to get me out of this one.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Late in flower Ill get some old fan leaves that look sorta like that. Some yellowing late in flower is normal though. Im trying some things out so if I find a fix Ill let you know.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
When did you start adding the cal mag? That looks like a calcium deficiency that has been slowly fixed to me.

If not potassium, because the edges are affected and some inner parts which calcium is the only one affecting both leave edges and inner parts.

POtassium does affect leaves edges and then can cause the rest to yellowinwards, but it will not cause the affect you see now and another reason why I say the problem looks old is the edges are missing on some of the leaves which the tissue is dead and it takes a little time for the plant to suck it dry and decay so the problem that was occuring was a little slow.

Queso45

I've been using cal-mag for about a month now, every other watering. Last feeding I upped it from 2 ml to 4 ml. This leaf looks different from the other ones...

It just seemed to me like more leaves are being affected even though I've fed it cal-mag a few days ago. Is it normal for leaves to still go even after the plant has been fed?

Please reference my earlier post on this page for all of the pictures (a lot of them).

Last edited:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
WHat are your night time temps like?
How cold is it getting at night?

You are using RO water correct? your plants are pretty big and you should be using your nutrients every water....... but I would get a more complete nutrient than cal mag.

If your temps are cooler, get the temps up a little, cause depending on how long you keep your cold temps can cause problems with nutrients related.

If you are still using RO water use half tap water, cause your plants are lacking some other micronutrient that it's not getting and I am not sure which one.

You are also using it every other watering and if it was deficient it's not getting enough with using it every other watering, how often are you watering?

Every 4 days?

If you are watering every 4 days say you used it today, your next watering which is 4 days away you did not use any, so the plant did not get any other micros for another 8 days from the first time you used it.

That is not enough of calcium for the size of your plants since you are using RO water.
you are supposed to use around 4 ml per 4 liters of water nearly a tsp per gallon of water.

I would use it every watering. I had to do the same when I used RO water, those brown spots I got those on mine when I switched over to using RO water... I have absolutely no idea what they were though, but all I DO know is it was caused by using RO water after from switching over from tap and not using micros. If you were to water your plants, most people have hard water so your plants are getting 2x the amount of cal mag and other micros in tap water than what you are giving your plants. Cal mag is more stronger, but still the same amounts you are giving are still too weak for them to stop going away.
Remember I said in a few posts it looks like it was slow acting like it was starting to get enough and then it kept coming back, I said that a few times and now I know why.......

Queso45

This is exactly what I needed to hear. I knew my plants couldn't have been getting enough nutrients because I've been feeding plain RO every other water. I also water every FIVE days.

Edit: I fed my biggest plant plain RO today, but 1 hour later watered it with cal-mag, Iguana bloom and 5ml microblast. Was this a no-no? I will feed the other plants tomorrow.... without watering them an hour earlier. Its just that I watered my big plant, saw your post, and then watered it again with nutes. I figured the RO would runoff and the nutes would stay?

Edit: My temps minimum is 66 and my Max is 82. It has been a lot colder here lately so thats why my temps are so low. If I adjust my temps... it will make the maximum higher---- so is it worth it? Only my NL plant is turning purple... but i guess thats a strain related thing.

I'm so happy you are here to clear everything up for me. I was losing my mind trying to figure out why they still needed the food I was already feeding them. Thank you again stitch.

Last edited:

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
The RO issue would make sense. My tap water is near RO quality (6.8ph 48ppm). I upped my overall feeding to get it in line with the Lucas formula so hopefully that will resolve it. Ill update on progress. Thx for the good thread Queso and Stitch.

Queso45

Hey a few days ago I noticed some (2) roots were coming out of my drainage holes at the bottom of my biggest plant. I didn't touch them, and now they've gone from white to brown. I don't want the brown to spread to the rest of the roots--- should I cut the brown roots with a scissor?

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
You did your waterings close enough to where it should not cause a problem.
May show some slight droopiness, but nothing major.

66 will cause them to slow down which is why you have some of the problems you do, I would try to stay around 70 minimum.

Lots of strains change color, but only a small handful only change when certain conditions are not met.
cooler temps bring out strain color a lot of times.

So lets see how things go queso :)

I am sure it will fix your problem now, as I was confused too as how you were feeding, but the plant was responding like it was just getting enough and slowing down and coming back repeating which was why you got the leaf problem you did and that was why it was confusing me.

Latest posts

Latest posts