What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mites?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest3498

Are tmv-like growth, cupping of leaves, and eggs (some of which I found on new growth about 5 minutes ago) not consist with cyclamen/broad mites?

Not to mention several people who have acquired this same cut have had their gardens infested and plants destroyed by BM's... thank you for the advice everyone but I'm playing it safe over here.

Also: "The egg of the cyclamen mite is elliptical 0.1 mm long and smooth."
Doesn't say anything about bumps, and mentions white bumps on broad mite eggs in the next paragraph.
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/O&T/flowers/note28/note28.html

Frankly I'm not going to wait until my garden is destroyed before I treat it.

Last edited:

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
VADO, all those things are indicative of BM's.

If the people you got the genetics from are having BM's - I'd venture you do too. I saw some of those symptoms in mine before I knew what was going on. Also, the flowers about 2 weeks in also looked burnt and depleted of pistils (hairs). A 30x loupe scope is enough to see the mites with. Look along the backside of seemingly affected leaves. Along the spines of the leaves..

VADO's photo illustrates damage well. Note also the reddish dusty look where the stem meets the leaf. Another indicator of BM's.

TripleDraw27

Veteran
The mites are 100% in otto and I's gardens. They have much more of a presence in my garden and are very, very early in otto's. Neither of us have even flowered with them around yet. Every early symptom has been displayed in my garden. I first noticed something was wrong when I got some strange tmv growth on a cut that has never, ever done that before. Pulled this pic off google as an example:
View Image
A few days later I was tipped off that a cut we are now growing has been getting passed around with BM's, and decided to do some more research. At that point I noticed the cupping of some leaves, just like this (minus the rust):
View Image

Went and got my hands on a microscope, and the eggs have been identified. Some strains are more affected by the above symptoms than others...

Frankly we just got lucky and caught em stupid early before any plants were flowered.

fwiw, that first pic. I tend to get that with this mother I've had for years, then cloned from the clone, made mom, cloned etc etc , then i started getting those curling leaves...its a kush. I just call them Deliverance leaves. No BMs, as I bathe my veggies in avid and have rotations of sprays. But no BM. Just a few ree -ree leaves like your first photo. And other strains in the same place have none of those effects at all.

ottoman, vado, I have had similar symptoms and have been searching for broad mites for over a month but havnt found any.

At first i thought those timy dots or balls were the egss to, but it turns out they are tiny glands that are normal on a leaf.

This is why I keep asking someone to post a picture of a broad mite on a cannabis leaf, so we can see the size comparison to the hairs and glands we see on the leaves.

I hope you find out whats up with your garden, My symptoms have finally gone away, but im worried they might come back.

I have a 40x-800x usb scope and still cant see dots on those translucent glands. Suposedly people are ableto see them with a 30x

S

Shan Diego

This is why I keep asking someone to post a picture of a broad mite on a cannabis leaf, so we can see the size comparison to the hairs and glands we see on the leaves.

If you go back to the start and read all of the posts, you will learn that Broad Mites do not live on the leaves. I had a devastating infestation, but I never saw one on any leaf.

Subsequently, you are asking for the impossible, my friend...that's why nobody is producing said pic. Start at the top, read everything. Read it twice if you need to.

the gnome

Veteran
If you go back to the start and read all of the posts, you will learn that Broad Mites do not live on the leaves. I had a devastating infestation, but I never saw one on any leaf.

Subsequently, you are asking for the impossible, my friend...that's why nobody is producing said pic. Start at the top, read everything. Read it twice if you need to.

{ Broad mites don't lay eggs on leaves, they don't even venture out there. A

hey shan,
I think you may be thinking of another type of pest.
you have it entirely wrong.
broad mites **do** live on the leaves 100%
and they do lay their eggs on the leafs 100%

they prefer the young new leaf growth points but as they population grows they migrate out onto the other leaves.
I have seen eggs on the tops and bottoms of leaves, big and small.

but I do agree, newcomers to this thread really need to read it from the start.

thefanfx

friendly solution

friendly solution

well fellows i read almost all of your posts and i have to admit :) you are ready to put a lot of poison over the stuff that you'll smoke later

let me give you some tested and plant friendly suggestions works on 100%

1. Tobacco's water - put in clean water 500ml (in bottle with cap) / (cut) around 20 cigars or 50 grams of cut tobacco for 24 hours - you can leave it on sunny place during the day to make the mixture as much stronger , spray the plant on next day with it , i mean wash it :) it must dive in water all leafs (the water should be super brown and it will smell as hell). you can repeat it after 2-3 days - after that procedure no living creature will try to eat your plant leafs proved :)

2. Hot (spicy) water - same procedure but instead of water a hot chilly powder in water 500ml/1 spun powder - again 24h on sun in bottle - spray it again on next day , you can repeat procedure

none of these 2 can harm the plant neither you :) but will keep all bug's away from the leafs

hope it helps
njoy

Everything Ive read seems to say, look at the center vein of the leaves and inside the newest growth.

Are you talking about russet mites, the pictures look like they are more on the stems and branches.

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
I understand how Shan Diegos statement could be mistaken. He is fully aware that the BM live in the newest growth /leaves. The point that was being made IMO is that you're not typically ( unless you have a high population) going to find them on fan leaves.

As far as a picture goes...Go to page 2 and check out the pics Storm Shadow posted. Props to Storm Shadow for all his input! Lots of pics of eggs but at least one has an adult visible.

I kinda feel like this thread has done all it can. All the info is here with most of it coming early on.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
yea when you break out the microscope dont check the fan leaves, check where the leaf meets the stem right in the crevices...you will see small white spots that look like little glass balls. they like to kick it on the edges of veins as well...

i havent seen any signs of BM in my rooms for a month now! only had to spray in veg like 1 week before flip....latest crop has zero infestation and its at day 52

Ok thats good to know i must have missed that part.

The only clear picture I could find of a BM on a cannabis plant shows it not on the leaf but where it meets the stem.
broad_mite_1.jpg

http://forum.sensiseeds.com/fdata/gallery/2stoned4this/broad_mite_1.jpg

stasis

Veteran
Russet Mites and Broad Mites are all Cyclamen Mites... Same deal. Same need for AVID>..

I have found Broad mites at the leaf juncture with the stem.. But also russet colored damage on the stem in that area. Even without mites present. They leave a dark orange crustiness behind. A telltale sign of their presence. Bastards.

Good to know Yes4... Way to beat ;em. Seems like you made it.

I havent seen a live one since the 10th, my third spraying on what were relatively infested plants. Now in Light dep, 3 weeks into flower. They look great now.. Especially the Chiesel and the Grape Romulans. But I am on the lookout. Scope in hand - cause there are still some leaves that appear to have BM damage.

I think I saved my cut of GSC from the BM Scourge. 5 nice happy veggers 4 feet tall + in the full-season greenie. Will pull some clones off 'em in a day or two. Better hurry, they are showing preflowers...

Bastards. Now every green leaf of new growth that appears yellowish, or curls one mm, and it sends me indoors to get the Jewelers' Loupe.. I am so trained.

Last edited:

RetroGrow

Veteran
Russet Mites and Broad Mites are all Cyclamen Mites... Same deal. Same need for AVID>..

I have found Broad mites at the leaf juncture with the stem.. But also russet colored damage on the stem in that area. Even without mites present. They leave a dark orange crustiness behind. A telltale sign of their presence. Bastards.

Good to know Yes4... Way to beat ;em. Seems like you made it.

I havent seen a live one since the 10th, my third spraying on what were relatively infested plants. Now in Light dep, 3 weeks into flower. They look great now.. Especially the Chiesel and the Grape Romulans. But I am on the lookout. Scope in hand - cause there are still some leaves that appear to have BM damage.

I think I saved my cut of GSC from the BM Scourge. 5 nice happy veggers 4 feet tall + in the full-season greenie. Will pull some clones off 'em in a day or two. Better hurry, they are showing preflowers...

Bastards. Now every green leaf of new growth that appears yellowish, or curls one mm, and it sends me indoors to get the Jewelers' Loupe.. I am so trained.

Correction: Russett mites and Broad mites are not Cyclamen mites. They all belong to the family Tarsonemidae, including Cyclamen mites.

stasis

Veteran
Correction: Russett mites and Broad mites are not Cyclamen mites. They all belong to the family Tarsonemidae, including Cyclamen mites.

Guess I read wrong... I had both on my worst infested plants..

In any case, AVID is going to work, tobacco juice AND praying to several Local Deities ain't.

The BM's will certainly migrate to the larger leaves... Especially if they were present when said fan leaves were small leaves..>!

Thing about BM's is that it is easy to mistake the damage for something else. But, if you can see the new growth clawing, yellowing, and coming up on the side edges - and it is at that point, you have a problem on your hands.... One that could send you to the nearest seedbank, buying completely new genetics.

None of us want to use things like AVID, but this pest requires it.

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dicofol and abamectin are the most effective mitacides. Dicofol is a contact killer only and abamectin is a systemic. The predatory mite Neoseiulus cucumeris is your best bet for none chemical warefare. Neoseiulus californicus and Neoseiulus barkeri have also been described to offer good control of broad mites.

Norkali

Oh, wow! I thought that I had that russet/burnt orange necrosis because of my Orthene dunks! I guess not....damn. good thing I started an SNS-217 regimen, the plants have been looking really nice, rebounding back from a dual attack of both root aphids and Broad Mites at the same time...now they're currently getting SNS-203 to the rootzone and SNS-217 to the foliage on a constant basis, looking green and showing new growth.

Damn, I had thought for sure that the Orthene had fried them....turns out it was the fucking BM's that hadn't gotten the 217 yet....all over some Cherry Pies and migrated to a Ghost OGK..lemme show some pics...one minute...like this?

picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.