What's new

Broad mites? What is this pest?

Rusty Nailz

I just dealt with the same exact bug. Your description is dead on what I've been dealing with. I used Bayer and Spectrazide. Killed them dead for weeks but they made a come back. These things layed eggs by the hundreds on the sides of my coco pots.

I've got terribly bad leave under-curl with the leaves getting very brittle and dry. Some of the margins are curling up as in the above pics as well.

I've got a thread about it here in the infirmary with just one crapy cell phone pic. Take a look and tell me what you think.

What is the link for your thread?

Rusty Nailz

if part of this bugs life cycle is in the dirt nematodes would do the job. no chems in those

hmm, yes, this is kind of what I was thinking...but what kind of nematodes could be used?? any kind?

...or how about predator mites? or maybe these are a type of predator mite for all we know..

highonmt

Veteran
Well no more sign of the wee little shits. It is possible there was ph shifts involved but not likely and no sign of bugs in the soil. We use spectracide in the soil to keep any remaining RA at bay. It seems like the spinosad spray and pyreth. bombs did the trick on em. lost a couple veg plants but the rest are recovering well. Thanks for the help everybody. Wish I knew what they were but at least I know how to treat em if they show up again.
HM
HM

highonmt

Veteran
Well they are back again with a vengeance and now in my home grow...shiiiiiit I have tried pyganic and spinosad and it just slows them down a bit ipa/peroxide spray also kills most but not all and they come back... Leafminers leave 'tracks' across the leaves, these leave no real marks, no thrip poop, no marks like mites nothing but the curling margins and down curling leaves when badly infected. I feel like fuking shelock holmes while I'm in my grow room constantly searching my plants with a 30x loupe to find the bastards. Week 3 of flower I just hope some biweekly treatments with spinosad and ipa/peroxide will keep em at bay. TheY do not like intense light and are always found on leave bottoms on the upper plant but on both tops and bottoms at the shadier locals... I am probably going to shut down and start over with seeds due to the LITTLE and I mean little the photos are 30x and when magnified at 30x with a loupe you can just see the large adults there are 1000's of them on some leaves... buggers...lerrr ittle fukkers....HM

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Google russet mites. That's my guess based on the pics, and from what I've heard from other gardners. Never dealt with them personally, but I know they've been wreaking havoc here in some gardens.

highonmt

Veteran
Google russet mites. That's my guess based on the pics, and from what I've heard from other gardners. Never dealt with them personally, but I know they've been wreaking havoc here in some gardens.

Well if'n ya wern't so damn ugly and toting that hogleg I'd give ya a hug...there they were and it sounds like they are a real pain in the ass to get rid of. FLORAMITE worked best but they are so damn tough they even bounce back from the exteme mite treatments that cured our spidermite problems. If they flew they would be worse than RA. That seals it I'm shutting down for a few months after this grow. I have got to start over with seed and nothing else alive comes into my rooms ever again...other than humans of course...well I COULD make an exception for a mendo trainwreck clone...or a real bubba kush..or...well
Thank you COB

cobcoop

Puttin flame to fire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
or a real bubba kush..
Thank you COB

You and me both haus! No worries man. The curled up leaves are a sign. I know of some warehouses in Co that got ravaged by the fuckers. Good luck to you neighborino.

S

SeaMaiden

FINALLY! Someone I can agree with. I've dealt with leafminers, and those ain't them, and them's NEVER caused a problem like that, not even the worst infestations I've seen. However, I have not yet dealt with Eriophyid, but choose to be prepared. I think the damage profile fits.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/287734

Latest posts

Latest posts