What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad mites? Mystery eggs and NO crawlers!

RetroGrow

Veteran
If you dont wanna nuke em (which is the only way tht sorts works) buy a shaker of Swirskis for 80 bucks should cover 3000 sq ft. Organic spray 30 ml/gal Neem Oil 30m/gal Dr Bronners Sal Suds 5 drops rosemary oil 5 drops clove oil. Heat treat at 109 degrees with no fans or air movement for an hr or two. Do the heat first over anything if you wanna try it at all so when you end up spraying and releasing predators the heat won affect it. GL player

Don't listen to this guy. 109 will not kill them. Neem & rosemary will probably kill the swirskis, so don't apply predators and then kill them. First off, take some pictures of the tops of some leaves. See if they have "eggs" also, as what you are seeing might just be trichomes. Very hard to tell with those digital pix. I can tell more easily by scoping. People have a hard time distinguishing between trichomes & eggs, and the digital pictures often are not conclusive. Eggs are usually found in clusters, not covering everything, as trichomes do. Do some more scoping and be sure before you treat. If you have them in your house, though, they will keep coming back. Between runs, you will have to clean everything really well, and heat treat your space with high heat, like exterminators do for bed bugs.
www.pestheat.com
120F will kill all mites & eggs.
Remove all debris, soil, leaves, anything that they can live on. You really have to clean well, and they can still be in your vents, etc. Not an easy task. If all those spots in the pictures are actually eggs, that would be an incredibly massive infestation, and you might consider High Life's suggestion, scrap everything, and start over.

Scrappy-doo

Have you even positively identified any sort of mite?

If you're just going off the pics of those 'eggs', those aren't eggs.

They're either glands or stomata I'm pretty sure.

What I do know is that leaves have those and they're normal. At one point I was having all sorts of problems and thought maybe I had broad mites, so I took a high powered scope and saw those. They're on every leaf and spaced out equally.

I never had any broad, cyclomen, or other microscopic mites and those problems all went away. The problem was something else completely. Don't go trying to destroy those your plant needs them.

Don't listen to this guy. 109 will not kill them. Neem & rosemary will probably kill the swirskis, so don't apply predators and then kill them.

fuckin hater. quit trolling my nuts.

Like I said try the "heat" then spray then predators. But if your plants are weak like they appear in some pics be careful about the heat!!

Last edited:

RetroGrow

Veteran
fuckin hater. quit trolling my nuts.

Like I said try the "heat" then spray then predators. But if your plants are weak like they appear in some pics be careful about the heat!!

Wouldn't go anywhere near you or your nuts, and the notion of me trolling a numb nuts like you is laughable. Problem is, you have no idea what you are talking about, and are giving bad information. No one should listen to your "advice", because you are clueless. You should not be giving advice at all. You should be taking it. Anyone who took your ill advised advice would be making a mistake. I am advising them not to listen to you if they want to solve their problem, because you certainly can't. Everything you have posted is wrong, just as in the dud thread. Of all the people on this site, you are the last person who should be giving "advice".

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
well i guess i have better eyes than most people. i can easily see mites with my naked eye. shit the spidermites i can see clean across a room if they move.

i use a plain old 30x loupe for all my work with scoping things. if 100x ain't cutting it time to move up to a microscope. even a little toy one from toys'rus should do the trick. but then you gotta take samples to put under the scope instead of just scoping on the plant/soil.

B

BB420

usb microscope chepo one from ebay will work I thought I had broads and they were just trich heads !

Mcdojr03

What was the outcome?

What was the outcome?

I have those exact same "eggs" under my leaves in early veg. I have been treating with green cleaner and lost coast plant therapy and there seems to be no change in action. All those bubbles are still there but there are zero movements anywhere. Did you heat blast them? Did you use a torpedo? Then what happened? Were you able to finish the run. Did you have to kill everything off? I need to know these things lol but I'm aware that I am fishing a 6 yo thread.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
First you make a positive diagnosis then you take action. Treating phantom symptoms has never and will never work.

Those are very neatly arranged 'eggs', very evenly spaced.

Dantrak33

A year ago I had russet mites and didn't know until my plants were duding 3 wks into flower. I cleaned the entire house and started again. I had an excellent second grow, but 10 days before harvest my house was ravaged by burglars...the plants that were in veg were flowered and yielded little(.25gpw). I once again killed everything, cleaned everything, waited 2 months, and started again with elite OG and GSC strains. Now some previous symptoms of interveinal chlorosis, thin leaves and general twisting, turning and clawing are happening. The fucktards at A2 Genetics gave me blueberry clones that had tiny microscopic white, round trichome-looking eggs on them and I didn't discover it for a few days. Instead of trashing them, my dipshit ass thought I could save them and then bought new healthier clones(ogs and gsc). Many of my problems in the past may have been due to or specific to hydro so I started some soil plants to hedge my bet. Now almost every single leaf on every plant in multiple rooms has the tiny white eggs, and the worst of the plants are stunted, contorted and make me ashamed to even look at them.
I am beyond sad. In a state of panic/desperation. I was prepared for bad luck, but it is threatening to destroy our finances...blah blah blah. Just trying to convey the importance and disappointment of this whole affair. I've been a registered caregiver for many years, and growing much longer. I am ready to retire...but I can't because I'm broke battling Borgs. I will post pics, try to explain them and hope for any kernel of wisdom and 2nd opinions I can get.
Quick info. I use hydro and soil. Strains are Platinum Girl Scout Cookies, Skywalker OG, Ghost OG, Night Terror OG, Orange crush, ak * deathstar. Temps are 68-78 because ac turns on every couple hours and I can't narrow the temp range. 20-24 hr light in wk 6 of veg. Blueberries were all killed weeks ago. They showed the initial eggs. Other clones checked when received showed no eggs at the time but most plants now have many eggs on most leaves(undersides). I have never seen a broad or russet mite in last few months. I eradicated russets last summer, bombed the place, started over. Never saw another mite, but have seen the broad-mite looking eggs on the undersides of leaves from time to time in the last 10 months, but still had decent results which slowly got worse, leading to the latest bomb and clean 2 months ago. I feel like I'm blabbing on so I guess I'll just post this and see what happens. Thx in advance for any help:tiphat:
I have exact same problem. Everything in your pics is exactly what I see in my garden. Initially it was infested with thrips and I suspect it was from grow medium I bought from certain hydro store in Detroit. Any way, it was out of control so I had to kill everything and start over after 3 weeks brake. Cleaned and sanitized everything. Now I see similar eggs that requires 60x magnification to see. Some of them are moving around once they get bigger but still 60x magnification to see. After some research I have confirmed they are broad mites.

Bonide (BND95349) - Insect Control Systemic Granules, 0.22% Imidacloprid Insecticide​

I thought Bonite above was working but it’s not. I confirmed today they are moving around and can see them with 60x magnification. I ordered Avid from Amazon and will see how that works. Another remedy is Forbid

Last edited:

Dantrak33

A year ago I had russet mites and didn't know until my plants were duding 3 wks into flower. I cleaned the entire house and started again. I had an excellent second grow, but 10 days before harvest my house was ravaged by burglars...the plants that were in veg were flowered and yielded little(.25gpw). I once again killed everything, cleaned everything, waited 2 months, and started again with elite OG and GSC strains. Now some previous symptoms of interveinal chlorosis, thin leaves and general twisting, turning and clawing are happening. The fucktards at A2 Genetics gave me blueberry clones that had tiny microscopic white, round trichome-looking eggs on them and I didn't discover it for a few days. Instead of trashing them, my dipshit ass thought I could save them and then bought new healthier clones(ogs and gsc). Many of my problems in the past may have been due to or specific to hydro so I started some soil plants to hedge my bet. Now almost every single leaf on every plant in multiple rooms has the tiny white eggs, and the worst of the plants are stunted, contorted and make me ashamed to even look at them.
I am beyond sad. In a state of panic/desperation. I was prepared for bad luck, but it is threatening to destroy our finances...blah blah blah. Just trying to convey the importance and disappointment of this whole affair. I've been a registered caregiver for many years, and growing much longer. I am ready to retire...but I can't because I'm broke battling Borgs. I will post pics, try to explain them and hope for any kernel of wisdom and 2nd opinions I can get.
Quick info. I use hydro and soil. Strains are Platinum Girl Scout Cookies, Skywalker OG, Ghost OG, Night Terror OG, Orange crush, ak * deathstar. Temps are 68-78 because ac turns on every couple hours and I can't narrow the temp range. 20-24 hr light in wk 6 of veg. Blueberries were all killed weeks ago. They showed the initial eggs. Other clones checked when received showed no eggs at the time but most plants now have many eggs on most leaves(undersides). I have never seen a broad or russet mite in last few months. I eradicated russets last summer, bombed the place, started over. Never saw another mite, but have seen the broad-mite looking eggs on the undersides of leaves from time to time in the last 10 months, but still had decent results which slowly got worse, leading to the latest bomb and clean 2 months ago. I feel like I'm blabbing on so I guess I'll just post this and see what happens. Thx in advance for any help:tiphat:
I have similar mites too. After some research I can confirm they are broad mites since eggs are round and not oval. I just ordered Avid from Amazon. I see good feedback.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Those look like stalkless trichomes you find on quality plants.

If you really do have bugs, the solution is simple (though a lot of work).
You will need plenty of ventilation and a painters mask at least to keep the iso out of your lungs.

COVER ROOT ZONE AGAINST DRIPS
Mix 1oz 70% or stronger isopropyl alcohol to each gallon of water.
Thoroughly drench each plant, also spray down walls, and floors completely.
Repeat every 3 days for 5 treatments.

As long as your original source is gone, your infestation will be gone. Bugs do not have iso resistance, neither do their eggs or webs.
:tiphat:

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Best part about iso and water??

No residuals, so you can happily share.

I would appreciate being notified if you've used neem, imid or any other systemic. (Yes, aza in neem is systemic) I will politely decline and thank you for letting me know.

Latest posts

Latest posts