What's new

British Police using Thermal Imaging to Find Cannabis Grows

Skip

Veteran
It seems the British are now using helicopters equipped with thermal imaging to detect the excessive heat given off by cannabis grow rooms. Like the Dutch, who are using unmanned helicopters with gas-spectral analysis system to find grows, the British have decided your home may be your castle, but if it's too warm you may find your local constables and a swat team at your door!

Maybe time to consider LED lights?

Busted Grow:
C_67_article_2063482_body_articleblock_0_bodyimage.jpg

http://www.getwokingham.co.uk/news/s/2063482_snow_guides_helicopter_to_cannabis_factory

Brits! Don't want the police busting your grows? Then LEGALIZE IT!

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They've been using them for time (buddy got slammed over a decade a go).

The major change is now they have vans driving about some areas with thermo image devices attached,, whereas they used to be restricted to helicopters (flying pigs) only :no:

In reality radars like that are looking at busting larger commercial growers,, not homegrowers with a few pot plants!

Hope this helps

As they used to say on watch-dog until dando got popped,, sleep easy :D

N.B. is this a subliminal product placement for those UFO things,, lmfao

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
doesnt this make you wana go full camo mode with some rpgs? TAKE THEM FUCKERS RIGHT OUT THE SKY

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Time to invest in water-cooled lights or Iceboxes, no heat = no heat signature. Fuckin lazy assed cops. Growing is getting more expensive every year, just to stay out of The Man's reach.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
doesnt this make you wana go full camo mode with some rpgs? TAKE THEM FUCKERS RIGHT OUT THE SKY

Hell I think that every time I see a cop on a motorcycle and a radar gun. Who gives a SHIT about speeding, anyway?

I must play too much Grand Theft Auto, i see cop cars and think, "man I could SO nail that fucker with an RPG from here!"

LOL

fatigues

Veteran
Time to invest in water-cooled lights or Iceboxes, no heat = no heat signature.

This is not true. There is heat. It just happens that you have diverted that heat somewhere else in your home.

If you are using HID lights - there is heat. There are ways to disperse the heat better, to shed the heat through pipes into the ground, which, tends to be more difficult to detect than, say, bleeding it out of your roof or out of a five-ton AC exterior unit. Water cooled ACs shed the heat too, but it goes down the drain -- and some of it into the swimming pool.

But no matter what you do with HIDs - the heat is still there to see, detect and measure unless you have found a wethod to break the oldest laws of physics in the newest way :)

LEDs or flourescent lights? Now that's a different matter. Those lights, most expecially LEDs, do not generate as much heat in the first place...

FreeMan

Does anyone have any tech on these imaging devices? I'm just wondering how they work exactly. They've had scanners that detect the heat transferred to the outside walls for a long time, but to my knowledge they had not yet started to utilise more advanced technology enabling them to 'see through walls' so to speak. The standard thermal imaging is easily worked around with effective extraction to the chimney breast or unsuspicious vent outside, but you really don't stand any chance with the more advanced type. The operator would be able to count how many sheets of toilet paper you used after you'd been to the loo!

It's a police state we've blindly wondered into and we are up to our necks before we've even realised what's going on. Brothers and sisters locked away with years stolen from their precious lives for growing a plant... it truly is insane behavior.

I'm in the UK, and this stuff used to drive me crazy with paranoia and fear. I almost thought about ending the whole thing because of the perceived 'risk'. Then I came across a few pieces of information that really changed the way I looked at things:-

1. An 'Act' (as in Misuse of Drugs Act etc) is a legislated rule of a society that has been given the force of law.
hmmmm... :thinking:This got me thinking - how can it be a law if it has to be given the force of law?

2. You can only be a member of a society with your consent.
hmmm... :thinking:More questions... which society do these rules apply to, which society am I a member of, have I ever given my consent? Maybe without me knowing...?

3. In law a 'Person', 'Human Being' and 'Man' are totally different things.
Huh?

I don't want to hijack the post so I'll save the explanations, but lets just say I have acquired the answers to these questions and many more, and there is a ray of light for UK growers, worldwide in fact.

Anyone else come across this route? Maybe discussion for another area of the forum.

Hello by the way, I am new to the forum, but not growing and certainly not to 'the powers that be' :biggrin: Hope I can contribute around here in some way.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Very easy, closed loop water-cooled lights, run through a 700' underground geothermal loop. No compressors, no chilling, no heat signature whatsoever.

LED"s and fluoros grow small quantities of weed, which isn't where guys are getting busted. Have you ever seen a commercial-sized LED grow? I doubt they exist, but I don't think they're economical with today's technology and prices.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
I think this can be beaten with a bit of construction creativity.... and a water cooled air conditioning and if you going to exhaust hot air out build a separate room to cool it down before it goes outside... or just seal the room real nice make extra walls with insulation and your good... if i had the money id go buy a FLIR to make sure.
anyone with a FLIR that wants to share some photos :)

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Hell I think that every time I see a cop on a motorcycle and a radar gun. Who gives a SHIT about speeding, anyway?

I must play too much Grand Theft Auto, i see cop cars and think, "man I could SO nail that fucker with an RPG from here!"

LOL
COD MW 2 for me...but the RPG still applies.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Anyone tried any of these. I think it just may be nice to help keep my room cool in the summer, but they do insist FLIR help.

Of course if they get some good military grade shit, you could be fucked.
But the guy they busted did have 400 plants and must have had one hell of an electricity bill.

http://www.hydroinnovations.com/product1.htm

Also, does anyone know what kind of spectral gas analyzation the Dutch were using. That has perked my curiosity. You would think that unmanned hilo would have to be close to the area.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Insulating hoods is a half decent idea, but it's not the lamps/hoods FLIR usually sees, it's the hot exhaust pumping out of the house from some vent typically. If anything, insulated hoods and ducting make the exhaust hotter, while keeping the room a tad cooler.

You can rent Fluke handheld FLIR devices, contractors use them to find heat leaks when doing weatherstripping/insulation projects.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
i mean insulating all the walls of your grow, built a frame and put insulation then make the walls.... with this done they should not be able to detect heat from inside your home then the exhaust the hot air to a separate room cool it down and out it goes

alaskan

http://www.prisonplanet.com/spy-drones-to-enforce-co2-regulations.html Spy Drones To Enforce CO2 Regulations

European Union will act as “global warming policeman” to mandate compliance

President Barack Obama has said that spy drones will be used to enforce CO2 emission regulations, while British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has outlined plans for the European Union to police compliance with carbon-cutting targets.
The final Copenhagen Accord included the provision that a global “governance structure” would be set up to control taxes on CO2 emissions and this is already starting to take shape after Gordon Brown announced that he is drawing up plans with French President Sarkozy for the EU to become a global warming policeman.​
“Mr Brown and French President Nicholas Sarkozy now are working proposals for a “European monitoring organisation” that will oversee every country’s actions on emissions,” reports the Telegraph.​
“I will work with President Sarkozy for a European organisation that will monitor the transparency that is being achieved not just in Europe and our own countries, but in every country around the world,” said Brown, adding, “I think people deserve for there to be international reporting at the highest standards of what is being done.”​
In addition, President Barack Obama said that satellite technology would be used to check if countries like China are living up to their promises to cut CO2, a move that has been termed “eco-spying”. New advancements allow drones to monitor greenhouse gas emissions over a certain geographical area.
“We can actually monitor what takes place through satellite imagery and so forth, so I think we are going to have a pretty good idea of what people are doing,” said Obama.
“It is hoped that the use of satellite imagery will increase pressure on every country to do their part once targets are eventually in place,” according to the Telegraph.
And from a few months back...
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=127145&highlight=nancyHow is Nancy Pelosi's Climate bill going to affect growers?
"House passes Pelosi's climate change bill"
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...009-06-26.html

She was quoted last month as saying "Every aspect of our lives must be subjected to an inventory"
examiner
The bill states every home owner will receive an energy audit. What is a home energy audit? It is an intrusive visit made by the bureaucrats at the Home Energy Team or a similar group. They will examine and report the way you live your life directly to RESNET (Residential Energy Services Network) . Light fixtures, socket types, spas, hot tubs, windows, appliances, walls and roofs will all be under review. Energy tests will be conducted throughout your house.
Certain mods keep deleting threads like this, claiming it has nothing to do with cannabis and that this isn't a political site. BS

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yeah, lots of guys do rooms within rooms, and separate "lung rooms" but there are better ways, they are just more expensive.

My distant-future grow will be in a huge basement and will have water cooled lights, air conditioners and CO2 generators, all pumped to a swimming pool/geothermal loop. No compressors or chillers needed, just a couple big water pumps. Much lower electric usage that way.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
And from a few months back...
How is Nancy Pelosi's Climate bill going to affect growers?
Certain mods keep deleting threads like this, claiming it has nothing to do with cannabis and that this isn't a political site. BS

Whoooooa, that's scary shit! It would be a travesty of justice for a mod to delete a thread on that, especially if in the Security forum. It has a huge impact on growers, and cannot be overlooked. I'd bitch to Gypsy if I saw that happen.

One way to substantially lower a building's heat signature is by using radiant barriers. Most of the heat detected by thermal imaging is through the roof, but walls can also be a significant heat source if not properly shielded.

Radiant barriers can reflect up to 97% of infrared energy (up, down, or sideways). Traditionally, radiant barriers have been used to prevent infrared energy from entering air conditioned buildings because infrared energy significantly increases heat loads. Folks that live in the U.S. have seen radiant barriers used in residential construction for several years.

One of the factors mentioned in the article was "...I noticed the snow on the top of the house had melted quicker than others...." I've seen houses, built by the same builder, in which one house had a roof radiant barrier, and the other did not. The house without a roof radiant barrier always melts snow much quicker (and is also hotter in summer).

There are many sources for radiant barriers, and numerous scientific articles about the effectiveness and practice uses of radiant barriers; just do a search on Google.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
Yeah, lots of guys do rooms within rooms, and separate "lung rooms" but there are better ways, they are just more expensive.

My distant-future grow will be in a huge basement and will have water cooled lights, air conditioners and CO2 generators, all pumped to a swimming pool/geothermal loop. No compressors or chillers needed, just a couple big water pumps. Much lower electric usage that way.

I done that months back running alot of ks, the problem with that is the pool water gets hot and if the outside is cold it look like a huge jacuzzi and you need to keep a close eye on your pool a lot of chlorine and other stuff to keep it from going green on you:tumbleweed:
it can be done tho i did it with out a problem if the pool gets too green it might fuck with the water cooled air conditioners they get hotter... you need to flush the system ones a month to clean the inside of the ac

Skip

Veteran
Whoooooa, that's scary shit! It would be a travesty of justice for a mod to delete a thread on that, especially if in the Security forum. It has a huge impact on growers, and cannot be overlooked. I'd bitch to Gypsy if I saw that happen.
Does that thread look deleted to you? WTF are you talking about?