What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Brewing Serenade and BT to improve bacterial numbers and effectiveness

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Plant growth promoting rhizobia: challenges and opportunities

Use of microbial agents for improving agricultural productions, soil and plant health had been practiced for centuries. By the end of the ninenteenth century, the practice of mixing natural soil with seeds became a recommended method of legume inoculation. Rhizospheric soil, inhabited and influenced by the plant roots, is usually rich in nutrients when compared to the bulk soil, due to the accumulation of numerous amino acids, fatty acids, nucleotides, organic acids, phenols, plant growth regulators/promoters, putrescine, sterols, sugars and vitamins released from the roots by exudation, secretion and deposition. This results in enrichment of microorganisms (10- to 100-folds than the bulk soil) such as bacteria, fungus, algae and protozoa, among which bacteria influence the plant growth in a most significant manner (Uren 2007). Such rhizobacteria were categorized depending on their proximity to the roots as (1) bacteria living in soil near the roots (rhizosphere) (2) bacteria colonizing the root surface (rhizoplane) (3) bacteria residing in root tissue (endophytes), inhabiting spaces between cortical cells and (4) bacteria living inside cells in specialized root structures, or nodules, which includes two groups—the legume associated rhizobia and the woody plant associated Frankia sp. (Glick 1995). Bacteria that belong to any of these categories and promote plant growth either directly (nitrogen fixation, phosphate solubilization, iron chelation and phytohormone production) or indirectly (suppression of plant pathogenic organisms, induction of resistance in host plants against plant pathogens and abiotic stresses), are referred as plant growth promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR). Vessey (2003) preferred to categorize the bacteria that belong to the above mentioned first three groups as extracellular PGPR (ePGPR) and the fourth group as intracellular PGPR (iPGPR). This ePGPR includes the genera Bacillus, Pseudomonas, Erwinia, Caulobacter, Serratia, Arthrobacter, Micrococcus, Flavobacterium, Chromobacterium, Agrobacterium, Hyphomycrobium and iPGPR includes the genera Rhizobium, Bradyrhizobium, Sinorhizobium, Azorhizobium, Mesorhizobium and Allorhizobium.

fwiw...more here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4522733/

tech1234

Very interesting read, however I couldn't find where it helped answer the question on weather Serenade specific bacteria could be multiplied...

My head hurts from reading that so I could have missed it

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very interesting read, however I couldn't find where it helped answer the question on weather Serenade specific bacteria could be multiplied...

My head hurts from reading that so I could have missed it

It is possible that it is in a spore form which is ready to divide. The way to find out is to put some in a petri dish with distilled water and an applicable food source and observe with a microscope over a period of 48 hours or so.

This is what I've done with some strains of Trichoderma.

Attachments

• product01-bacillussubtilis.pdf
    285.4 KB · Views: 46

tech1234

It is possible that it is in a spore form which is ready to divide. The way to find out is to put some in a petri dish with distilled water and an applicable food source and observe with a microscope over a period of 48 hours or so.

This is what I've done with some strains of Trichoderma.

Great info! petri dish here I come