What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

breeding

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok. so i have made a few crosses and have never really thought of this because they were all auto flowering. when crossing a plant, which what genetics are going to show in the F1. the female or the male?

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
you'll get genes from both the parents mate, it's always 50-50. if the parents are unstable it's impossible (as far as i know) to be able to predict what traits will be in each offspring, theoretically, if you make enough seed every single trait is going to be in your seeds you just have to fish through them to find the best trait combinations in single plants and then select them for breeding the next F generation. ie. if you're using F1s that are hybrids and are thus unstable, they will make F2 which will show huge variation in their phenotypes, there may be a few though that resemble their parents, might even be indistinguishable from them (though this would be a very small number) but yeah just grow out as many F2 as you can, then select the plants that resemble the parents, or have the traits you mostly want and cull the rest (or just don't use them for further breeding) and repeat. hope that helps. if you want more detail i can give you it. :D

A

AWoll

yeeeeeeah. i didn't want to read a novel. just wanted a quick answer. which traits are more dominant the female's or the male's.

id like a quick answer about life too! There are basic laws in place that everyone that is going to attempt to actually "breed a new line" should understand. If your looking just to "cross" and want a specific trait in the offspring it technically should be 50/50. If you want to stabilize that specific trait aside from growing out a mass field to select from, What seems to be the going trend is to cube or multi generational backcross and selection... Good Selection.
Props to actual breeders who have the means and skill in selecting. In my own experience, ( on selection ) A long time ago we started everything, every seed we had, after the mass genocide of the males (never forget the fallen) we prob had over 120 to select from. We found only one Keeper... all that work and only one keeper. aint that a bitch. Never again Unless I win the lottery and alls i do is grow, Genetics are never easy and quick
Awoll

goingrey

Come on man that's way too much to read.
The shortest answer is: 🤷‍♂️
Shrugging implies not knowing the answer. But I do know. That it depends. ;)

Usually the f1 generation will be relatively uniform and somewhere in between the two parents and the f2 generation will have more variation ranging from one grandparent to the other, though.

revegeta666

Shrugging implies not knowing the answer. But I do know. That it depends. ;)

Usually the f1 generation will be relatively uniform and somewhere in between the two parents and the f2 generation will have more variation ranging from one grandparent to the other, though.
Shrugging may also imply that you don't care 😃 check mate sir

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Lmao, never imagined you'd still be here. Sorry for the doubt man, you know how stuff normally goes with newbies.

Latest posts

Latest posts