What's new

Breeding project

yourbuddy

I'm planning on ordering some mama thai, O haze, skunk #1 and Afghani #1 from one company and lebanese and nepalese landraces from another. Has anyone worked with these strains I.e breeding, growing, smoking, anything really would help. Also does breeding indoors have any effects over strains being bred outdoor. I can imagine it would over a long term period but is there any serious damage?

Yourbuddy

supaleeb

I'm planning on ordering some mama thai, O haze, skunk #1 and Afghani #1 from one company and lebanese and nepalese landraces from another. Has anyone worked with these strains I.e breeding, growing, smoking, anything really would help.

Nope, but sure sounds like fun!

Also does breeding indoors have any effects over strains being bred outdoor. I can imagine it would over a long term period but is there any serious damage?

Not really.. What makes you think that?

D

DiiZZii3

Also does breeding indoors have any effects over strains being bred outdoor. I can imagine it would over a long term period but is there any serious damage?

The plants don't even kno there being grown indoors, their plants

Ekz_Ray

peace

peace

i grew out some afghans and they where kinda slow growing, but some ppl say that IBLs are like that, so i dont know what to make of it. but the smoke was kinda harsh, but i did let it go almost a full 10 wks. never crossed it with anything though but the stone on it was excellent. sticky hard ta crumble, rolled a very tight semi hard ta pull joint off it. not a lot of branching, nice firm cola, very dark green foliage, shaded itself out it was under cfls in hydro. got a few clones but gave them away didnt like tha couchlock dont remeber harvest weight but it was decent given the circumstances. and thats tha best i can do youo for. dont know much about the other strains...

Baba Ku

Veteran
Some of the most interesting cannabis cultivars we have seen come from breeding two polar opposite plants together. For instance using the heavy sativa influence of the Ohaze bred with an indica such as an Afghan. Good hybrid vigor can be expected but be ready for some variation. The thai may be a good choice for the sativa side of a cross, but be aware that thai strains are notorious for intersex and you may have to work a bit to produce hermie free seeds.
The landrace seeds you have, I would probably incross those to see if I could find any phenos I liked as the are, and also to get a feel for what they offer. If you like what the results show, then you could work those phenos to your liking and keep them landrace.
OR...cross them to your sativas....

Just make sure you got your growing program down first....

yourbuddy

Nope, but sure sounds like fun!

Not really.. What makes you think that?

Outdoors and indoors are totally opposite, the lighting, humidity and temperature changes, hours of dark and light and many more. So naturally I thought there would be some effects for sure maybe not in f1's but maybe if they where bred till f5 or so indoor they would have been adapted to growing that way?

yourbuddy

Thanks for the insight Baba, the thai is "Mama Thai" which is a slightly worked pure thai strain that has been worked to remove some of the hermies and reduce flowering time. I'm thinking the thai x afghan and thai x skunk are going to be a decent f1 but only time will tell.

D

DiiZZii3

Evolution is fucked man, they definitely "know" somethings up.

Nah man its possible but i'd highly doubt it, altho many conditions are diffrent it dont think a plant has the ability to comprehend that its growing indoors. To answer your question it will have no negative affects on breeding. Consider it like people... some one who fucks indoors is gunna pass on the exact same genetics as if they fucked outdoors, see what im getting at?

Sounds like u got some good crosses in the works, good luck man keep us updated!

Baba Ku

Veteran
You really couldn't be more wrong on this issue, DiiZZZii3.
Cannabis definitely expresses itself differently between in and out doors. Many breeders work their lines to be more indoor friendly, and visa-versa. If what you are saying is correct, then there would be no need to work a line for either growing situation.
A population that is acclimated to outdoors will change when subjected to indoor growing.
Cannabis most definitely reacts to it's environment and expresses it.

D

DiiZZii3

You couldnt be more wrong man, as i said the conditions of a indoor grow room is much diffrent than the conditions of an outdoor grow room. Put it this way... If u take 2 clones from the same plant and grow one indoors and one outdoors ur gunna end up with two completly diffrent looks, potentcy, and yeilds. But ur saying that somehow the genetics channge??? No altho the plants look diffrent the genetics in said plants are IDENTICAL.

/ edit - i geuss im just tryin to answer dudes question why would breeding plants indoors be harmfull compared to breeding a plant indoors, and i dont think it matters does it?

yourbuddy

I can't imagine the genetics changing from the same clone indoors or out but the children from outdoors or in would most likely have a different genetic make-up and get even further from the indoor or outdoor brethren as it goes into f2's 3's and so on. I think this is what Baba is saying.

D

DiiZZii3

I left a rep message for ya.

oh i kinda see what ur sayin, eventually the two crops from the strain would be completely diffrent (outdoor/indoor) but through selective breeding probably alot better. The indoor of the same strain would be breed based on ideal or prefered traights getting better every generation... i dont see how this could be negative except for enhancing a strain. Unless ur sayin this... if u take and outdoor strain put it indoors breed it indoors for ten years (breeding to make a better indoor plant) then but it outside u may have breed out some prefered outdoor characteristics of the plant in an attemps to make it a good indoor plant, visa versa

Last edited:
D

DiiZZii3

"Also does breeding indoors have any effects over strains being bred outdoor. I can imagine it would over a long term period but is there any serious damage?"

Hey man im kiinda fucked up and feel like i may be completly missing the points of what ur asking... what exactly are u asking, think u could elaborate a bit?

David762

That sounds like a very worthy endeavor, YourBuddy.

That sounds like a very worthy endeavor, YourBuddy.

I'm planning on ordering some mama thai, O haze, skunk #1 and Afghani #1 from one company and lebanese and nepalese landraces from another. Has anyone worked with these strains I.e breeding, growing, smoking, anything really would help. Also does breeding indoors have any effects over strains being bred outdoor. I can imagine it would over a long term period but is there any serious damage?

Yourbuddy

That sounds like a very worthy endeavor, YourBuddy. :)

While I am unfamiliar with any of these strains, it looks like you are focusing on IBL and LR strains -- a good starting point imho. Of course there will be differences between indoor versus outdoor strains regarding genetic expression -- the growing conditions are different. Indoor breeding offers the greatest control over the environment, so I would encourage you to begin there. Well-bred indoor crosses should do well outdoors at some point, observing differences in the growing season and variable weather conditions.

If I were in a position to actively engage in cannabis breeding, I would be following in your footsteps (IBL & LR), and avoid as much as possible heavily commercialized F1s and F2s with the rare exception of looking for a specific genetic trait. Too much genetic unpredictability places much reliance upon clones for stability, and seeds can travel the world while distribution of clones has limitations.

YMMV. Best of luck, and when you get started I will follow your posted progress closely. :tiphat:

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran
On the origins of Blueberry
here's a good read and covers a little about starting with p1 parents and crossing for f1s and so on.
If grown indoors they will adapt to rootbound pots and artificial light it's up to the breeder to decide on the circumstances and try to match the outdoor environment if possible. In that article it talks a little about keeping the indoor environment like the natural climate origin. Good luck with those picks, I picked up some fem. Ketama landrace seeds and now I'm kicking for not getting the reg10 pack to make some seeds. m12 skunk could make a hybrid cross though?

yourbuddy

Hey Diizzii, I think I've found out the answer to my question. I wanted to know if Children (f1 and so on) from parent strains would acquire different traits if they were bred indoors or out. And after doing some light reading I've confirmed my original thought. It would be hard to notice a difference between a strain bred indoors and a strain bred outdoors if they were both grown outdoors at f1 but further down the the line they would adapt to the growing conditions weather it be indoor or out. Hopefully this makes some sense.

Latest posts

Latest posts