What's new

breeding pitbulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganico

Veteran
norcalikush said:
bule pits bullshit. a true apbt is not bread for color or looks he his bread for what he has done

Well I know what you're saying, but that's not really true IMO.

I get what you're saying about it shouldn't just be some toy dog, show dog,etc bred only to be a spectacle, while losing it's game (for the rest of y'all, game means "WORK ETHIC", haha. That describes it perfectly, IMO anyway) I also understand you may mean that color is not a real criteria for APBT's, and you're right. Pits have a broader range of colors than most dogs, so that's just not as strict a criteria. Although there are things as far as color to watch out for though, such as mottling,etc. Selecting for color shouldn't be a higher priority than selecting for temperament though, I agree there

Anyway, the only blues I've seen were either (a) ADBA blues bred to be blue (of the ADBA blues I've seen plenty have been game as any though) or (b) MOST COMMONLY a pup from brindles, most blues I've seen weren't BRED to be blue, it's just a recessive trait of brindle in most cases. But yeah you're right as far as "working" purposes, there is no real USE in breeding to select dominance of the blue color trait other than aesthetics

But color isn't altogether a useless or impractical trait to select for

There is an obvious reason to breed BRINDLES for their color/markings

Many of these dogs in the south were and are wild boar hunting dogs, so there's plenty of game brindles, and a result there's gonna be game blues that pop up. Not actually all that uncommon if you breed mostly brindles

in my time with the mutts i have never had one blue dog in any of my litters i breed for myself i dont sell any keep the best and cull the rest......... blue is bullshit i have been to many yards and never seen a blue game dog in my life....................

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
My American pitbull terrier (adba registered) is a wonderful dog. She watches over a 2 and 5 year old all day. The kids hit her and kick her sometimes (kids are cruel and I yell at em), but she just wags her tail and licks them back. They yell at her and she just wiggles her body. She's pretty great with other dogs, except during her first heat, after about 6 hours of playing with a dog that kept growling at her, she bit him on the neck.

Pitbulls are NOT for everyone, they are a special breed with special needs. Never breed them for money or fighting. If you do breed, only sell to people that you feel confident about. I may breed mine... her temperament has shown to be fairly good, but maybe not good enough yet. Any sterotypes about the breed I find false and ignorant.

All my 2cents and I'm on my second female APBT, so I speak from experience.

Ganico

Veteran
noraclikush- Mutts? WTF? I'm talking pure pitbulls, not shiteaters

You never seen a game blue? Come to the south, what else can I say. Most the blue pits you probably seen are cali showdogs I guess?

Blues come from brindles, so it's not like just cause they are blue they are gonna lose their gameness. Game dog is a game dog, regardless of color. Color is not an official criteria for APBT's

Cull the rest? So you put down the dogs that don't fit your personal "criteria"?? That ain't how we do it here, you sell em or you raise em, there is no "culling", they ain't plants. Hell even folks who fight em don't "cull" them

Last edited:

skin

norcalicush is correct on that one !
breed from the best and cull the rest , how do you think you got some of the fine animal you have today without being so harsh ?
the dogmen i know cull anything not up to it , when someone has 40 dogs to feed i dont think they will be keeping anything sub standard as an ornament !!!

and once the dogmen have game tested their dogs who in their right mind would want to try and home a two year old failed match dog ?
you cant turn back the clock and take the prey drive out of them and make them dog and animal friendly ?

thank u skin.. yes i cull stock if i dont like it ...... y would i sell sumthing i dont like???? that y ther is so many dogs in shelters over breeding and people who dont know anything about these mutts..... i call all dogs mutts all of my dog have papers but papers dont make the dog the dog make the papers......u can keep them blues

og dmc

I had read a qoute by a famous dog man and he said that one of the gamest dogs he had ever seen was a blue pit.

vince514

seeker of greater knowledge
Veteran
I own a dog american pit bull terrier X american stafford-shier terrier i would never fight or make her attack any other animal as long as i am alive i love animals and i would never make my dog fight fighting animals for sport/money is WRONG no matter how you word it...here's my baby bad pic but whatever..

jimjay

Stratton said something once about a blue being matched but they didnt breed for color back then...it just happened to be blue. Dont get it confused with the junk going around.
And i dont know why people have such a problem w/ culling dogs. I mean no it isnt pretty but it is part of breeding dogs,pitbulls or not. Shit peta and hsus kill more dogs then anyone else. If you dont like it there is the perfect reason not to breed dogs.
People do it to better the breed. Game bred dogs breed right dont have the health problems that the show dogs and blues have. Why? culling.
The mark of a good breeder is someone that can end up with better dogs then they started out with.
What would of happened if dogman never culled human agressive dogs? But these days everyone is trying to make a buck and so they sell the human agressive dog. Next thing you know that dog got out and bit some little kid because he didnt know how to contain that kind of animal. Makes national headlines and everyone wants to ban the breed. Sound familiar?

Indica-420

Punish the Deed not the Breed

R.I.P 6-6-07

Picture006.jpg

vince514

Veteran
Indica-420 said:
Punish the Deed not the Breed

R.I.P 6-6-07

Picture006.jpg

:badday: I'm gonna cry like a little bitch when my baby goes......
R.I.P sorry for ya loss of a family member...... :badday: your little guy looked beautiful nice n black.!!! :wave: :wave: :respect:

Indica-420

vince514 said:
:badday: I'm gonna cry like a little bitch when my baby goes......
R.I.P sorry for ya loss of a family member...... :badday: your little guy looked beautiful nice n black.!!! :wave: :wave: :respect:

my boy was protecting what was his .. some guy came into my yard .. "had signs and a remote door bell" he didnt heed the warnings and when he came inside my carport "Buddy" wouldnt let him leave .. so the intruder as i say tried to hit him and get away and buddy snapped at him.. i went to court and won the case " only cause i had proper warning signs" but as stated he is a pitt breed and had bitten someone therefor the court ordered youthinization of him .. nothing i can do but follow orders.... he is and will always be missed!

for those who fight these breeds whether it be chihuahas or a collie etc etc.. its them people that give breeds a bad name ......

vince514

Veteran
Indica-420 said:
my boy was protecting what was his .. some guy came into my yard .. "had signs and a remote door bell" he didnt heed the warnings and when he came inside my carport "Buddy" wouldnt let him leave .. so the intruder as i say tried to hit him and get away and buddy snapped at him.. i went to court and won the case " only cause i had proper warning signs" but as stated he is a pitt breed and had bitten someone therefor the court ordered youthinization of him .. nothing i can do but follow orders.... he is and will always be missed!

WTF.. THAT'S SHITTY ALL BECAUSE OF ONE DUMB ASS WHO COULDEN'T A SIMPLE SIGN..... MY HEART GOES OUT TO YA SORRY MAN :badday:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.