What's new

Breeding.Need some advice.

swampy_nz

hey guys.would like some advice about stabilizing a strain for indoors.
I have some good seeds that i have been growing outdoors for the last few years.there is some variation in height,bud density etc and i would like to isolate the best traits for indoors.the plan so far.

Sow 20 seeds indoors under a 400wt lamp.
Veg for a month then take 3-4 clones off each and then change to 12/12.
Label the clones and pop them under some flouros.
weed out the males(or do i keep them??)and see how the remaining plants develope.
keep the best clones from the best plants(short,stocky,dense buds)and use as mothers.
How would i go about producing seeds from my favorite mothers so i can have a stable plant that produces uniform traits so i can plant some outdoors,give away to mates etc.
any adive would be great cheers.

ps.this is my favorite girl that i just pulled.

GDB

Quite a few possible scenarios come to mind, it's really about the end result.. which is impossible to guage or guess until you've fully grown out and harvested each individual.

Do you have more information on the strain you started with? Obviously it's an outdoor strain but how did you come across the seeds were they F1's, successive F2/3/5, already F5+ ala IBL, an incross, outcross, back cross, etc? This will give you an idea of what direction you might want to go - already ibl then open pollenate, F2s or successive then find the ones showing least variation and the traits you want then proceed further, an incross or outcross might show completely unexpected results (non-uniformity but super potent, lacking some or all original qualities).. whew the list goes on..and I'm no expert :nono:

First scenario would be to continue on with what you are doing and open pollenate every male to every female (non-controlled). This will give you an idea of what direction this outdoor strain is going by your results in breeding this first generation.

Second scenario would be to take every female and individually pollenate branches with each male while tagging them and trying to avoid any overspray :redface: (it happens to all of us..) You will need to keep all the original parents alive (p-stock) then grow out each successful cross to determine the best or most ideal one for you. This is going to be what most people consider pollen chucking, I consider it somewhat labor intensive.

Third scenario is just finding a well stabilized IBL (ie Skunk) and taking your best females and pollenate them with a well defined male. This is going to allow you to do further selection based on the original female's traits and will take the least amount of time and effort.

Good luck and be sure to have fun with all your endeavors.

:rasta:

Hazelnuts

You could also produce feminised seeds from your favorite 2 females. Read the thread about colloidal silver for further instructions.

swampy_nz

cheers GBD.
my brother got these as clones 3 years ago and planted them out in the bush.They seeded somehow and have been using the seeds ever since.pretty sure it was an indoor strain,some of the plants had fat indica leaves,some more sativaish.god knows.lol
Just got find the best phenos and clone those puppies. :)

thanks Hazelnuts,will look into that.

Last edited: