What's new

Breeding for beginners

Makaveli76

I was wondering what would happen if I get a good 4SD(Rez Seeds) male and pollenate a female sensi star(Paradise Seeds), what kind of traits would i get? would it be more of the 4SD or Sensi Star?

Fat J

Too many possibilities to be sure, cant even really guess without an extensive genetic profile for both. Unless some1 out there has tried a large cross of those strains.

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
you would end up with a 1/3 being like the mom 1/3 being like pops, and the other 1/3 would be like bother or neither(hybrid)

the gnome

Veteran
hi guys,
I want to carry on with the 3 strains I bought and I'm now growing out so I want to get seeds out of them for future use and not have to spend mo money.

I have about 30 plants that will hit 12/12 in a few weeks.
how long will male pollen last and whats the best way to keep it till I'm ready to use it?
I'm thinking keep it good n dry till ready to use, keep it in a dessicant like dribrite.

also whats a good charcteristic to look for in a male?

Chili_berkster

Badass
ICMag Donor
Veteran
minute rice is a good way to keep the pollen from molding. Also fridgerate the pollen for storage.
I always look for a male who has the hollow stem and alot of skunky smell. If there are more than 1, I lean toward the bushiest and the one that busts more pollen. The hardier of the lot, the one you feel the best about. If any doubts, use the best 2 or 3 and open pollinate.

the gnome

Veteran
whats the advantage of the hollow stem?
thanks for the info chile ma man!

so once I get the pollen how long can I expect it to last??
anyone?

Chili_berkster

Badass
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i read somewhere the hollow stem is a trait for the drug plant cannabis. The solid stems represent the Hemp side of cannabis. It's not any proven thing or anything that I know of. But I always follow that rule.
If the pollen is stored properly you can expect it to last at least 6 months. But I wouldnt push it. Pretty much when you have pollen, Use it! Thats been my m/o anyway.
I'm no pro and i dont run a seedbank. But have a little experience. There are others with waaay more experience. Hopefully some of them will chime in.
Btw what were the 3 strains your trying to preserve?

the gnome

Veteran
thanks for the info Chile!
good to know, I read some where here that pollen was only good ofr a few weeks... max.
which didn't sound right to me.

anyways the 3 strains I have are all BOG strain, actually its 5 strains.
Bog bubble
BMR
Sour bubble
Sour lifesaver
and I got BOGs tester pak of his latest project, Sour Strawberry Kush.

I want to make seeds from each strain just in case BOG dissappears/packs up shop
for a few years like he did a while back.
plus at $95 a pak its good to have some backup seeds handy, right :)

I have a really nice clone only plant and have been looking into ways of preserving it in seed (want to shut down clones for awhile). Looking into the RODELIZATION method so i'm prepared to let the bottom buds flower extra long. collect the male pollen that may form, Then pollinate a sister clone that's a few weeks into flower. Here's the question:

How do i know when to pluck the male banana's that form on the extending flowering female? While the plant is producing them? Like as soon as i see one? or when i see em do i first cut, hang, dry, then pick out the bananas. is there a consequence of picking male bananas too early or late? when is the time that i want them picked to further the feminized seeding process. PEEEEace I've always only worked with clones so this is new ground. any PICS of what to look for are welcome.

If i'm being comfusing, i get the idea of soma's method, but once a few stray bananas start popping out, how do i know when to collect them, is there a sign or what, help me out guys and girls?!

D

Danny-boy777

The whole concept of applying Mendel's Laws to the breeding of MJ almost alleviates the dark hoarse placed on Growing MJ...

Thanks guy, Yesterday I was a pot Farmer. Today Im a horticulturist. :)

MrBaker

Hi everyone,

I'd like to get some advice on a strain that I've been casually breeding out now for a few years. Before I get directly to my question, here is what I've done so far, with what I like to call , "House".

The initial cross was between a very vigorously growing female nicknamed "Bertha Butt", and a very healthy indica with giant leaves. Bertha looked a stretchy girl with little branching, while the indica dude was shorted and had more branching. These 2 stuck out in that pheno hunt (bagseed) due to their physical vigor. Very healthy without much work.

I took the F1's from Bertha Butt x Big Lead Indica and grew them out. I selected 1 or 2 vigorous males for pollen and hit up 2 good lookin girls. I mainly selected for speed of growth, overall health, rooting ability, and size (I like em shorter). I did the same thing for another round, and now I have plenty of F3 seeds.

Now, the F2s were starting to look uniform and I suspect F3s will be more uniform. I might take a cut of any girl that hits my hot button.

More importantly, how should I continue the project? I suppose I could give up if I'm happy with something from F3, but I'd rather keep this going for a while as it's a hobby. Also, yield and appearance could be better. And there is a purple pheno hidden among the seeds to hunt for.

I have some satori pollen, some good lemon skunk clones (good rooter, cloner, easy to grow. decent yield, fun aroma), and a sharksbreath clone. I guess I'll use the pollen to introduce some new genes into the House F3s to make F4 and see how it goes.

I'd really appreciate any comments or questions, like what you would do from here on out.

Last edited:
This is a great thread and all. But I'm having a hard time understanding this subject.

I want to inbreed my Apollo 11's for certain traits because I don't think the seeds will be around forever.

But how do you breed for certain traits? How can I determine if the traits are dominant or recessive?

Breeding is mind boggling. Props to all the breeders out there.

Another question:
I'm looking for genius traits. So should I look for males that have more of a genius structure(shorter and branchier)? Or is this irrelevent with male plants?

bigwity

Veteran
say i self pollinate a plant grow out a female and self pollinate it then do it again and again with the best female in theory if i knew what i was looking for could i get the great grand parent of the plant i started with. if you self a plant enough times you must isolate certain traits

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
been to work and it seams that some people are making others do the dirty work and reaping the benefits

jyme

say i self pollinate a plant grow out a female and self pollinate it then do it again and again with the best female in theory if i knew what i was looking for could i get the great grand parent of the plant i started with. if you self a plant enough times you must isolate certain traits
haha yeah now thats a logical theroy but in actuality when a female is self pollenated it will produce a seed that is a double X/X of its self the seeds if grown in the exact envormental conditions all the way down to the identical nutreance obsorbed and water consumed it will be the replica of itsmother there is no way around it its replaced the Y CROMOSONES of the males place with the X cromosones of its self so she is a double of herself. then if you grew out the f1 from the mother and didthe same process as the last it would have no genetic change with the exceptions of enviromental anomalys per say over time if the replicas were to experiance drought,poor or intence lighting, substaind bug attacks and feeding changes the replica would begin to have genetic drift not a bad thing but the genetic programing would change slightly certan traits would be turned on and some off and so on. this is the way of evolution despite the inability to reconize it it is a constant and more so domante in plants as there stasionary organisoms that with out rapid change they would go extinct

G

Guest129216

This thread and topic rocks! Thanks and excuse me, I have some reading to do.................

Baba Ku

Veteran
haha yeah now thats a logical theroy but in actuality when a female is self pollenated it will produce a seed that is a double X/X of its self the seeds if grown in the exact envormental conditions all the way down to the identical nutreance obsorbed and water consumed it will be the replica of itsmother there is no way around it its replaced the Y CROMOSONES of the males place with the X cromosones of its self so she is a double of herself. then if you grew out the f1 from the mother and didthe same process as the last it would have no genetic change with the exceptions of enviromental anomalys per say over time if the replicas were to experiance drought,poor or intence lighting, substaind bug attacks and feeding changes the replica would begin to have genetic drift not a bad thing but the genetic programing would change slightly certan traits would be turned on and some off and so on. this is the way of evolution despite the inability to reconize it it is a constant and more so domante in plants as there stasionary organisoms that with out rapid change they would go extinct
When we self a plant, it will NOT produce progeny that is an exact replica of the mother, as suggested. In fact, the very same genetic meiosis will take place as if it were another plant, and the genes will be mixed the same as if it were another plant.
The progeny will definitely come out a bit different from the mother plant. Although the differences would be less than if the plant were pollinated by another plant instead of itself. See, when we self a plant we only have one genetic map to work with. Yes, the two maps will meet and make new maps, but with only half of the genetic material available for meiosis.
It is a very fast bottleneck, and many plants will be similar, but it is NOT a genetic reproduction of the mother plant.
And it is a fact that the environment, although it can cause a plant to express what traits it can express, has nothing to do with the actual genetics of the plant. The environment can't change anything at all, it can only be a catalyst for expressions that the plant can already display.