What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding early flowering strains

gorilla ganja

The term semi-auto can be confusing, but I don't know what would be better.

The strains you mentioned SeedsOfFreedom as far as I know do not contain ruderalis (auto) genes in them. But they are very sensitive to changes in length of night hrs.
There is also the semi-autos that do contain ruderalis genes. A popular method is to breed an photo plant to auto plant. The first generation will not be fully auto but a week or 2 faster than the pure photo. Further breeding a couple generations and most offspring will be fully autoflowering.

Peace GG

N

NewAgeGenetics

I don't think that all the semi auto lines contains ruderalis.

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
I agree some semi-autos have ruderalis in them, and some likely don't. I do think the Early Wonder Skunk has some auto in it, from what I have read of its lineage. Very likely the result of a photo x auto, never bred to full auto, like gorilla ganja explained.

The auto trait is recessive, and needs to be passed from both parents to result in full autos.

Last edited:

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
To make full autoflowers goes as this...

photo x auto = no autos in F1 seed because the trait is recessive.
F1 x F1 = 25% autos in F2 seed
F2(selected from the 25% autos)x F2(selected from the 25% autos) = fully auto F3 seeds

N

NewAgeGenetics

I think there are ruderalis strains what different than what the Joint Doctor used to create the lowryder.

for example in the genetic of some of the KC Brains strains you can read that contains ruderalis but those can grow to huge.

maybe thats a different ruderalis strain than the "56 days start to finish" 1 feet tall mini lowryder like ruderalis.

"Early strains" what I like, I grow Autoflowering only when I want weed fast but I much prefer the very early strains (AKA semi autos).

one more thing, the difference betweem early and fast flowering strains... the early ones starts to flower early, the fast flowering strains has a very short flowering time (45 days) but these usually not start to flower early (just in September).

gorilla ganja

To make full autoflowers goes as this...

photo x auto = no autos in F1 seed because the trait is recessive.
F1 x F1 = 25% autos in F2 seed
F2(selected from the 25% autos)x F2(selected from the 25% autos) = fully auto F3 seeds

I agree. But I also believe even if you breed the non-auto ones further, by the 4 generation the recessive auto genes will show in 100% of the offspring.

Cheers GG

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
I agree. But I also believe even if you breed the non-auto ones further, by the 4 generation the recessive auto genes will show in 100% of the offspring.

Cheers GG

The recessive auto gene cannot be expressed in 100% of the population until the corresponding dominant photo gene has been totally removed from the gene pool. If there are any photo genes left in the gene pool there will never be 100% autos(flowering under 24 hours light). Possibly 100% very light sensitive individuals, but not really full auto until that photo gene is purged from the gene pool.

livinit

Cheers GG

Looks like we are around the same latatude ~50N. I'm adding a few breeds to my grows this year, I'm hoping I slected early enough strains. What early strains seem work for you? Roughly what is your expected harvest dates?

gorilla ganja

I was out of the game for a long time. So like most here I am searching for good strains for my latitude still. I also have the problem of being in a shitty micro climate. Others at my same latitude can often go till end of October when I usually need them down by end of September.
But to answer your question. I am running some auto's I breed last year and some Erdpurt hybrids from Ace seeds. And as always I will try a few new strains to see if they finish, Mostly from friends.

Peace GG

livinit

I was out of the game for a long time. So like most here I am searching for good strains for my latitude still. I also have the problem of being in a shitty micro climate. Others at my same latitude can often go till end of October when I usually need them down by end of September.
But to answer your question. I am running some auto's I breed last year and some Erdpurt hybrids from Ace seeds. And as always I will try a few new strains to see if they finish, Mostly from friends.

Peace GG

Not only will selecting the earliest offsprings help the finishing date... but after a few generations in your climate they will adapt to the the day length and altitude (to an extent).

Obviously you first need to start with a strain that will finish at a reasonable time frame in your area.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
autoflowering strains are ruderalis crosses, they are totally automatic (ready to harvest 70 days after germination).

semi autoflowering = early flowering strains are not automatic ruderalis crosses, just very photoperiod sensitive strains. they react fast with flowering to longer nights = less light hours every day after the Summer solstice (June 21. the shortest night).

Or before June 21st...

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
great toppic
there are more way's to make early
strains .
and there are autoflowering strains without ruderalis.
i found in Blueberry .thai and sour diesel autoflowering genetics. (but also more strains have rootbound and starts to flower like auto)
i whane explane how i maked fully super autoflowering strains and early strain and the semi-autoflowers. but my english is bad sorry
here some of mine early and semi-autoflowers and autoflowering Haze outdoor in holland .DutchGeurilla
picture.php

semi-auto on back and autohaze bud on frond
picture.php

mobi50

I work with landraces and I' ve found that some want to flower no matter the hours of light.
That is probably becouse near the equator there is very little difference between day and night and some genetics from around that part of the world are used to grow and flower with almost the same ammount of light. I' ve had some Reunion Island that flower with 24/24 but only when they reached the age of 10-12 months. Do they have to be considered auto?

La Buena Hierba

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes but not intrested for people that whane grow kwik outdoor in nordics outdoors ore for indoor .but its a autoflower

I've been using passion 1 lineage to breed some quicker finishers with different traits. Seems to work pretty well. September finishers at 45 n