What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Breeding autoflowerers?

BagseedSamurai

Do females flower fast enough that if you plant males and females simultaneously, they will produce a good quantity of seed, or will males flower so early that pollen collection will be required?

G

Gilles&Cheryl

You can plant them at the same time. The males will most likely flower first but will still be spewing pollen once the females get hairy.

jessethestoner

i've done a seed run or two with auto's and in this regard they are like normal cannabis there will be males spewing pollen early sometimes to early so be watchful but for the most part there will be quick and late flowering males that flower about the same time as the females, so if you're doing any kind of selective breeding you might want to collect some guys pollen but otherwise they'll be seeded from any combination of pollen they get

angel4us

ICMag Donor
there will soon be some awesome tested autos on server fund from angel4us for server auction list !! keep an eye out for em!

BagseedSamurai

angel4us: I know. They are going to be mine! :p

Everyone: Thank you. So basically like normal cannabis.

This should be fun!

Intern@tional

ICMag Donor
The plants will do just fine, they were made for that - to make more SEEDS :) And the females will live long enough for the seeds to mature.
Peace

TheGreenBastard

Assistant Weekend Trailer Park Superviser
Veteran
In my experience its better to wait for a little bit of bud production to start before pollinating otherwise you'll have fewer seeds and even less bud.

S

SelfCatering

In my experience its better to wait for a little bit of bud production to start before pollinating otherwise you'll have fewer seeds and even less bud.

Yup..im with the Bastard..last year i crossed some wicked autos, i crossed them in early stage of the bud structure and i got few seeds and skinny buds ...this year i make some f2 on the offsprings and i waited for the mums to mature more in the belive that she will provide more seeds:tiphat:

i just started dipping my hand into the autoflower breeding this summer and i have inbreed santamaria and bread santa maria to funkydwarfxc99/ssh

MMJcali

also with the bastard here.

best to start your females 1-2 weeks before your males. I made the mistake of doing them at the same time, got about 200 seeds and 1/4oz of bud off one plant...not ideal.

offthehook

Veteran
If you give them a cubic meter of organic prime grade soil..... Seeded Auto's can still become rather huge, even if you start males together with females at the same time.

My first hand experience this way brought me 60 gr bud of one Diesel Ryder plant. ( 65th latitude in southern lapland)

Whereas an outdoor growing friend of mine in Holland pulled of an average of 80 gr seeded bud per plant this way growing Easy Ryder.

The seed to bud ratio out of my 60 gr Diesel was 40 gr seed and 20 gr "kief"

Or about 2500 seeds.

Bio mass, thriving soil life and micro diversity is all where it comes down to, so I hope you keep that in mind in order to put your conclusion in the right perspective.

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
Always best to wait on pollination, let the females get into mid flowering before you pollinate, this ensures the most seed. Pollinating very early will result in less seeds due to smaller bud production.

You can trim your male back over a period of 2 weeks or so to prevent him from dropping pollen to soon. Then just let him go when the females are ready... If you dont think you can trim him properly then plant the seeds to find your males 2-3 weeks after you plant your females.

SGS

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The most healthy fully viable seeds (at or close to 100% germination later on) that are most uniformly ripe come from early pollination because the plant puts all of it's energy into seed production instead of growing more flowers and no you do not get much bud from a properly done seedrun so you kind of need to really pick what you want to get from the plant. I have not found a happy medium when it comes to seed quality and bud at the same time otherwise you get too many duds and unripe seeds which is just not okay when it counts seed quality wise. I pollinate very early (at about 3 weeks into 12/12) and still get plenty of seeds but I do also pollinate a week afterwards as well to ensure 100% seed production. You want to give them at least 30 days to mature after that, 35 days is better. Don't harvest until they are totally dark and calyx's are breaking open with seeds almost falling out. You can always make plenty of hash afterwards from all the trim which is nice makes for great smoke while you are sorting & counting all your big healthy uniformly mature seeds. :good: :canabis:

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
@ SGS, But do all your seeds ripen as well as when they are pollinated straight away ?

YES! I don't agree with SOTF420 says about early pollination, it is not required to get 100% germination on the seed nor does it produce smaller inferior seeds. All you have to do is keep feeding the seeded plants like you would normally to keep them very healthy, you get duds and low germ rates from plants that didn't receive enough food during the seed production process.

SOTF420 is right on about the time it takes for seeds to ripen, they take around 35 days to get the best seeds, sometimes a bit longer but never more then 45 days, they will be falling out all over the place then. You can know for sure that your seeds are ripe when the seeded calyx starts to turn light brown, no longer green, with the seed usually poking out the top. Will take a few pics for you soon.

SGS

Stdane

But if you're doing autos,they usually ripens after 70 days or so,then it become pretty vital to do early pollination,because atleast outside you wont see pistils before 21-28 days:I know you can drive them to the pistilpoint lot faster & earlier indoors.Last year I've got 2 Speedy Gonzales pretty much in flower before I pollinated,let them go fer 74 days where all leafs big and small was withered.Got a load of ripen seeds but also some unripe,but it made me learn when to pollinate this strain.

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
But if you're doing autos,they usually ripens after 70 days or so,then it become pretty vital to do early pollination,because atleast outside you wont see pistils before 21-28 days:I know you can drive them to the pistilpoint lot faster & earlier indoors.Last year I've got 2 Speedy Gonzales pretty much in flower before I pollinated,let them go fer 74 days where all leafs big and small was withered.Got a load of ripen seeds but also some unripe,but it made me learn when to pollinate this strain.

This a seed run, who says they ripen at the same time as a sensi bud run??? You can let them go as long as they need to finish the seeds, 70-90 days. On a PINKBUD run they are pollinated at around day 45 from seed, well into mid flowering right before the first pistils start to die off and turn color. Then all those super ripe and fat seeds are harvested 35 days later. So ya they run about 80 days for a PINKBUD seed run, but who cares as it increases the amount of perfect seeds exponentially.

To each his own guys, just sharing something that has been experimented with for the past 8 yrs, Mid-flowering pollination for AFs is best but do what you will.:tiphat: It really is a shame that Highbred.net was lost, so much AF information gone... forcing us to explore stuff that has already been done.

SGS

Stdane

This a seed run, who says they ripen at the same time as a sensi bud run??? You can let them go as long as they need to finish the seeds, 70-90 days. On a PINKBUD run they are pollinated at around day 45 from seed, well into mid flowering right before the first pistils start to die off and turn color. Then all those super ripe and fat seeds are harvested 35 days later. So ya they run about 80 days for a PINKBUD seed run, but who cares as it increases the amount of perfect seeds exponentially.

To each his own guys, just sharing something that has been experimented with for the past 8 yrs, Mid-flowering pollination for AFs is best but do what you will.:tiphat: It really is a shame that Highbred.net was lost, so much AF information gone... forcing us to explore stuff that has already been done.

SGS

You're quite right here,they don't ripens at the same time as a sensi bud,they ripen faster when pollinated in my experience,but of course you can let them go till the seeds fall off.:wave:

offthehook

Veteran
In here (southern lapland, 65 N) there would be no time to wait longer into flowering.

Everything would have turned to mold before the maximal amount of ripe seeds could have been produced.

Latest posts

Latest posts