What's new

Breeder Cuts, Keeper Cuts, and Instagram Hype… Oh My!

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
@subrob Gonna have to make that bleach instead of alcohol if you wanna keep hplvd from being an issue. And I for one am not sold on it being the only way it passes.
as long as we are hype-ing let's not forget the virus...

make the labs rich with the growers dollars, first THC, then terps, now hplvd!+++

mexweed

Veteran
I cull plants if they don't root vigorously enough as far as do they almost die when transplanted as clones, if you have to baby the thing pretty much all the way through flower it's not elite

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
@Chunkypigs it fucked my garden. So to me personally it isn't hype.
that's a bummer, especially if $25 dollars would have saved it. you certain it wasn't russets?

this shit started with dudded Glue getting passed 10 years ago at Cali high times events and now
it's the biggest news in weed and everyone's decided it's the next Covid, or Weed AIDS.

a costly new industry is rapidly growing now to that promises to help you save your next garden but weed money isn't going to cover your apical meristem tissue culture recovery TEK these days...

I don't doubt that there are plant viruses I doubt that they are the problem for every failed grow.
I doubt that the testing is accurate and also believe that not all clones are equal in health in every
gardeners hands.

I see the genetics I pass around in many different growers hands every year. there are big differences in growing styles, nutrition, insect and fungal pressure, and plant health in these growers OPs.

personally I think full sun and healthy soil keeps your moms in better heath than always inside but I have a friend who's plants are always indoors and his cuts are always the fastest rooting and his flowers are unequaled on this coast.

not all thumbs are equally green, good luck and good health is fickle, and if there is a Canna God he might not like red heads, who knows...

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
How did the og by reserva privada turn out? I just got 48 seeds and I’m wondering if the new batches of reserva privada seeds are good and have that original og in their expressions when pheno hunting? Let me know thanks
I bought mine around 2010 and the keeper was excellent . No idea about what they have now.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
back in the day it would take years for cuts like GG#4 to make their way around outside of Cali and it was an agreement among elite growers about which cuts were "elite".

now it's IG, Media, and Industry "influencers" deciding what's elite and trying to convince you before the product has been passed around and evaluated.

since the first state went "legal" 11 years ago I've watched weed quality drop.

I will go furthur back and say it began dropping as soon as THC and then later terpene tests became common and weed began being selected bu test numbers instead of effects.

since young men make up the bulk of heavy smokers we have a new generation of enthusiasts who are only smoking the new boof evaluated by numbers instead of experienced smokers.

it's only going to get worse from here, I really thought that legalization might make quality better but it has only made the growers and clone vendors focus more on profits and yield and move away from quality.

I just swapped for a bunch of new hype gear and now I will spend some time and see which have a place next to my favorites.

the strains that I grabbed recently that came with some quality flowers and are really great have been the LCG, Cheetah Piss, and Rainbow Sherbet 11.

I got a big pile of flowers from growers all over now to work through and 30-ish new strains to try so I am enjoying the part of legalization that has loosened up other growers lately and made them less scared of sharing and shipping clones.

we have to remember that weed has always been about making money and taxing those at the bottom of the chain, that part is only gonna get worse IMO.
lemme toss up some picks of this year's hype that went through my hands, smoke reports as it drize.

Triangle Kush already got some dry and it's great.
Triangle Kush 10.5.23.JPG

Double OG Chem- can't wait to fire these
Doc  .JPG

Gelato 33, never got cold here so not much color but killer aroma and frost
Gelato 33 10.4.23.JPG

Tropicana Cherry, this one hits every base except the high is real quiet.
trop cherry 10.4.23.JPG

Rainbow Belts 3.0 everything about this selection is an improvement over the 2.0's that I ran last season but have not smoked it yet.
rainbow belts 3.0 10.5.23.JPG

Mac1 always pleases me and sungrown > indo
Mac1 10.4.23.JPG

Slapz is heavy on the frost and the indo was good
Slapz 9.28.23.JPG

White Truffle is late to flower but pretty, I liked the smoke of the sample
White Truffle.JPG

White Truffle 9.28.23.JPG

mexweed

Veteran
There's a lot of pretty good but not earth shattering stuff out there

Gelato is just a mess, 33 was pretty good, but the last 41 I had was all over the place, it almost had the creamy gas to it but ended up too thin minty

The headier high and minty flavor from the Durban can be nice, but Durban can also be harsh and kind of schwaggy, there are some of these cookie strains that just look like crap dark olive green might as well be brown

Dolato, while having one of the best noses and hardest hits, had the harsh flavor thing going on and didn't look great, it was also hermied

Platinum kush breath, all nose no flavor and didn't hit like the dolato

Oreoz would have been the bees knees if the high lasted longer than 30 minutes, I guarantee there are phenos of plain cookies and cream that would blow it out of the water

The minties I had was better than the kush mints, but I feel like 99% of that comparison is chem vs bubba

It seems the most worthwhile new strains lean very heavily to chem or kush, or skittlez/runtz if they're trying for something fruity

Last edited:

Desert Dan

Veteran
lemme toss up some picks of this year's hype that went through my hands, smoke reports as it drize.

Triangle Kush already got some dry and it's great.
View attachment 18900990

Double OG Chem- can't wait to fire these
View attachment 18900991

Gelato 33, never got cold here so not much color but killer aroma and frost
View attachment 18900992

Tropicana Cherry, this one hits every base except the high is real quiet.
View attachment 18900993

Rainbow Belts 3.0 everything about this selection is an improvement over the 2.0's that I ran last season but have not smoked it yet.
View attachment 18900994

Mac1 always pleases me and sungrown > indo
View attachment 18900997

Slapz is heavy on the frost and the indo was good
View attachment 18900998

White Truffle is late to flower but pretty, I liked the smoke of the sample
View attachment 18900999

View attachment 18901000
Any standouts this season? Post dry…

-DD

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Any standouts this season? Post dry…

-DD
OG Kush and '92 OG are still my top 2 but the Double OG Chem #5 and #15 are both in my new favorites along with the Triangle Kush and the Green Lantern.

ECSD crushed again and also Chaco's Sour Valley and the Chem D and 91/SKVA.

got a lot of gear that I have not even smoked yet but the Zkittlez and lemon Cherry Gelato outs were not very impressive. The RS-11 was amazing at Drumz but my copy got lost in the flood here. Blue Deo was really Dank and also the Banana Cream cake x Jelousy.

the Double OG Chems are the shit though, crazy strong and so gassy. people tap out so fast when I pass joints of them, it's crazy. really blessed to get my hands on so much fire this season!

Double OG Chem 15
be doc 15 10.18.23.JPG

won't upload pics here today...bummer...

Hydro stores are failing fast in my part of NY along with the rest of the weed scene as the recreational boom ends with a wimper. I'm guessing that 260 of the 300 recreational permits holders won't sell a dime bag of their crop this year, so much low end outdoors here that it is unreal.

meanwhile they are giving out 800 grow permits this year and still only 23 legal Dispos and 7 deliveries up and running to try to move the legal boof...

so glad I'm a med grower and only in it for the quality...

my rant fixed the internet and pics are working now!!! #ChunkyToTheRescue!!!

White Truffle also crushed but very late...
Wt Truffle 10.19.23.JPG

this BlueBerry Muffin selection from the Hells Angels in MA is a stunner and supposed to finish in 7 weeks indo.
BLUEBERRY MUFFIN BUD 9.27.23.JPG

My Homie's selection of Rainbow Belts 3.0 was a real keeper too, much nicer than last seasons RB 2.0.
rainbow belts 3.0 10.5.23.JPG

OGKB 2.0 got frosty like always...
OGKB 2.0 macro 9.26.23.JPG

GG#4 has been really nice the last 2 seasons as the weather was nice so long.
Thanks and RIP Joesy and Marr!
GG#4 9.26.23.JPG

Chem 91/SKVA
Chem 91 : SKVA10.28.23.JPG

I bartered for 54' of this 22' wide hoop this summer and got it moved here last week. Monday the dozer is coming to cut a pad behind my house and next season I will have a legal 12 under plastic thang going to rival JayPlantspeaker, lol.

20230914_161629 copy.jpg

DSC_4250.JPG

Latest posts

Latest posts