What's new

Breathing

Smokerman

Veteran
My breathing is not so good lately. Constantly trying to catch my breath.
Had my 6 month lung ct a couple of weeks ago and follow up with the doctor last week.
Dr says there’s something on my right lung that wasn’t there 6 months ago so he wants to do a biopsy scheduled for next week.
My breathing has gotten a lot worse in the last few months.
Not gonna lie, I’m pretty nervous about this one.
Not really sure how to deal with this one.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Had my 6 month lung ct a couple of weeks ago and follow up with the doctor last week.
Dr says there’s something on my right lung that wasn’t there 6 months ago so he wants to do a biopsy scheduled for next week.
So sorry to hear that. Don't smoke or vape friend because it will make it worse. I stopped vaping and smoking because I was having problems with breathing too. Since I stopped smoking my lungs are much better and my thinking is a lot more clearer. I can see with my one eye much better and didn't even realize that smoking had such a bad effect on my health. It is not the end if you make changes in what you do. If you got to get high make eatables and don't smoke whatever you do. Also, I stopped consuming sugar, soda, and all sweets, and that has helped my breathing too. Negative cells love sugar and will grow and thrive when it's consumed. Keep me posted friend and if you need anything let me know.

Nannymouse

It is good that you have had recent lung checks and have caught this. You are far better off than if you had neglected the lung health altogether. I, too, have taken up the edibles, but not entirely. Almost all that i do, other than that, is the most pure live resin that i can find. Still, i think that i should stop the vaping, too, but have mostly given up on cartridges.

Sampled a bit of smoke, yesterday and the glands under my jaw are still hard and swollen.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
It is good that you have had recent lung checks and have caught this. You are far better off than if you had neglected the lung health altogether. I, too, have taken up the edibles, but not entirely. Almost all that i do, other than that, is the most pure live resin that i can find. Still, i think that i should stop the vaping, too, but have mostly given up on cartridges.

Sampled a bit of smoke, yesterday and the glands under my jaw are still hard and swollen.
You have good points friend. When there is pain the body is trying to tell us there's a problem. We have two choices one is don't give a damn and the other is to stop and heal the damage before it gets worse.

I just lost my baby blood-brother to throat cancer. He didn't give a damn. He only smoked joints for years and never would stop or vape. He had a horrible death after 8 months of bad suffering and pain. No one should have to die like that, most especially someone we love. If one is having pain from smoking or vaping, one should stop to prevent a bad suffering death.

Smokerman

Veteran
My plan is to quit smoking in the next few weeks, just gonna finish what I have.
Dr dropped a hint that the lung issue could have something to do with the kidney cancer.
Biopsy is on Thursday then another week or two for the results.
Thanks for the positive thoughts, much appreciated.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They spotted something on my lung when I underwent open heart surgery. They do all kinds of scans before they open you up and I remember the surgeon drawing an image of my lung then indicating a spot that needed to be looked at. The first step was a pet scan. If the pet scan "lit up" then they would do a biopsy and then schedule a lobectomy or whatever .
Have you had a pet scan or other nuclear scan? Scary stuff I know, just had to add my 2 cents since I had the " we see something" from the surgeon pitch. Nothing lit up and so no biopsy needed.
I would certainly ask about pet scan and if I wasn't satisfied with the answer get another opinion. Now in my case I did not have any symptoms, they merely saw a "spot" on one lung and went into action from that point.

CharlesU Farley

Registered respiratory therapist here, though I haven't practiced in many, many years, got tired of babies and kids dying on me. Anyway, you're going to have some tough decisions ahead of you regarding continuing to vape/smoke.

I smoked / vaped cannabis for over 50 years, on a multi-daily basis, and have 20 pack/years of cigarettes in the '70s and '80s. 5 years ago, I was pretty certain I had HPV induced throat cancer and I know what radiation treatments in a sarcophagus like helmet are like and I didn't want to be coughing and hacking, while getting radiation treatments for cancer. So I went all edibles, all the time. I ingest one oz of decarbed cannabis in 00 capsules every week, every month, for the last 5 years.

Turns out, didn't have cancer, just erosion from GERD. But when I vaped a bunch of BHO to celebrate, I really couldn't tell the difference, wasn't that much higher at all, after 4-5 lung bulgers. So I decided to stick with all edibles, all the time. While I don't get the up and downs from the high of smoking/vaping, I'm essentially high all the time now. Since I'm retired and no longer the first line of defense for the kids or grandkids, I have the freedom to do that!

Wish you nothing but the best... listen to what your doctors say and do what they tell you to do. Take everything a day at a time, don't worry about the future and don't feel guilty about the past.

Just Be Here, Now... for as long as you can.

Last edited:

Smokerman

Veteran
Back in 2017 they saw something on a ct that I was having for something else. Was referred to the same surgeon that I see now. He sent me for a PET scan which in fact lit up, then he did the biopsy, then he did the upper right lobectomy. This time it’s the other lung. I guess he feels confident enough to skip the PET scan this time, cause he seems to be moving very fast this time. I’ve been seeing this dr every 6 months for a ct and follow up. I have confidence in his decisions.

moose eater

Sorry to read of the continued battles with what may be more cancer, Smokerman.

In my case, there're no good treatment options of the 2 paths offered, so I just kept on doing my own gig.

Now, though, it seems there's a rapid development in my lower spine and/or sacrum, and the nerves involved in the leg have the debilitating pain bouncing from spot to spot with no symmetry, thus emphasizing that it's nerves that are currently being assaulted.

The initial shock, if that's even an accurate term, several years ago when I was told I had cancer stayed static for a time.

As the reality of lack of ability to control the cancer very much via my traditional emphasis on control as a primary approach to overcoming life's adversities, I focused a bit more on living, though impacted greatly by my relationship with 2 of our adult children.

Then a more peaceful surrender to the cancer simply doing what it's going to do.

I told friends in the Yukon Territory this last later summer that cancer is Mother Nature's way of saying, "Check-out time is noon, you've been here long enough. Pack your suitcase." We're all time limited, and most of us likely feel pressed for time to finish those things we'd planned on having more time to finish, whether physical projects, family relationships that require repairs, or whatever. Those have been my greatest concerns, next to knowing that once it enters my spine, then it's likely 'game over.'

I hope the fears let up enough to allow you to do things you want and need to do. And that the knowledge of your battle doesn't rob you of any more energy than the battle itself.

Take care of yourself, and if you're able, find a way to focus on things that bring a sense of accomplishment or fulfillment. Don't let it rob you prematurely of things that it might not need to take at all.

Smokerman

Veteran
So I went to the hospital this morning all ready for the bullshit and they canceled it because I took my daily aspirin. I was told to stop my blood thinners which I did, nothing was said about aspirin.
I lost it , I said cancel the whole fucking thing.
It did not go well.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
So I went to the hospital this morning all ready for the bullshit and they canceled it because I took my daily aspirin. I was told to stop my blood thinners which I did, nothing was said about aspirin.
I lost it , I said cancel the whole fucking thing.
It did not go well.
That's not going to help you friend. You need to know what's in your best interest and what's going on. Getting frustrated is so easy when one is suffering and it's easy to say the wrong things. When your anger fades call them back for a new appointment friend. They know what you are going through and will understand. They are not the enemy they are there to help you. You need help to find out what's going on friend. I have done the same thing and then realized I made a mistake. They are your friends and want to help. They have so many rules and can't just do what they want they have to follow the rules. Call them back.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's not going to help you friend. You need to know what's in your best interest and what's going on. Getting frustrated is so easy when one is suffering and it's easy to say the wrong things. When your anger fades call them back for a new appointment friend. They know what you are going through and will understand. They are not the enemy they are there to help you. You need help to find out what's going on friend. I have done the same thing and then realized I made a mistake. They are your friends and want to help. They have so many rules and can't just do what they want they have to follow the rules. Call them back.
Agreed :comfort::good:

Smokerman

Veteran
It’s all good now. His office called and said she could give me a new appointment in 2 weeks but she thought that was too far away. I told her that’s fine and apologized for being a dick.
I had to see my cardiologist this morning and he would like me to take a drug that costs $7000 a year and isn’t covered under the government insurance.
The golden years, isn’t it tho?

moose eater

It’s all good now. His office called and said she could give me a new appointment in 2 weeks but she thought that was too far away. I told her that’s fine and apologized for being a dick.
I had to see my cardiologist this morning and he would like me to take a drug that costs $7000 a year and isn’t covered under the government insurance.
The golden years, isn’t it tho?
With the disconnect in healthcare these days, where often times bureaucracy becomes more of a focus point than actual care, it's OK to be a dick sometimes.

My wife's clinic is a non-profit, and she has clients who are sometimes on Rx drugs that can cost over $5,000/month. Fortunately, they have grant funds that can, when required, cover a bunch if not all of that.

When I lived in the Yukon Territory in the later mid-1970s, a Yukon Health card (Canada) was $1.50/month or per 6 months. I can't recall which. I wasn't eligible as a non-resident, but even the clinic fees and lab work that I needed on one occasion in Whitehorse were comparatively cheap. $23 CAD for the visit and labs combined .... as a non-resident. With a 14% exchange rate at that time... in my favor.

Since then (as I'm guessing you're aware) your population has grown, the coverages back then expanded until reaching a tipping point, and there were hard decisions to be made re. what's covered and what's not. Also affected by the gov. kissing the asses of the pharmaceutical lobby (especially in the States).

That's aside from a lot of your Docs seeking increased income and other perks by practicing in the States.

I still go to Canada for dental work, and at one point, my entire family did.

A few weeks ago I had some serious pain cut loose in my sacrum, left hip and sometimes leg, sometimes all the way down to the foot... With a history of chemically recurrent prostate cancer and a previous triple laminectomy. All wild cards in re. to what the root issues might be. (I have my own idea).

Incredible pain at times. Went in to see my primary care Doc, and she gave me all of 20 light weight opiate pain pills and 30 muscle relaxers, and the PA I'd seen immediately afterward when the pain went apeshit, sent an order for an MRI to the local hospital's imaging center.

Apparently, it took the imaging center 3-1/2 days to get that electronic message with the order. I could've walked between the 2 locations with a bad limp in about an hour.

They gave me an initial date for the MRI in the first part of December, after which my primary care Doc asked me to make an appointment for a pain management meeting; they're terrified of being under the DEA's monitoring radar but schedule an MRI a month out for serious pain.

Care at that point is clearly a tertiary concern to the fear of the DEA's bullying, pharmaceutical companies' legitimized thievery, and in-house policies.

After getting the run-around and a bunch of double-speak and less than accurate information while waiting 10 days for an MRI schedule (as though I'm a newbie to this dance), I ultimately contacted their pre-authorization dept. this morning, detailed the absurdity of this up-side-down system, and I now have an MRI scheduled for early next week.

When people who are theoretically in positions dedicated to meeting your needs and are often being paid handsomely to do so, and they aren't meeting your needs, while they're catering to government bullshit and pharmaceutical thievery, putting you in de facto third place, yet having the balls to refer to their system as a health care system, it's appropriate to be a dick now and again. Sometimes it actually gets things accomplished.

Last edited:

Smokerman

Veteran
They called and gave me a new date Wednesday the 22nd.
I’m extremely grateful for everything I receive.
Free (paid through taxes) healthcare, most medications are covered.
Also the pension and old age security.
I feel bad for people who live in countries that have no safety net.
I get pissed once in awhile about the way things are dealt with but I have the utmost respect for nurses , even housekeeping staff will always help you.

oldmaninbc

Sorry to hear about your health issues. It really sucks when the body goes wrong, but it really does need attention when it does. I too have lung disorders and had to quit smoking. Smoking and asbestosis is a death sentence. First I quit tobacco then traded cannabis smoking for edibles. I feel all the better for it, best choice ever, I also accepted I was the first line of defence. Good to hear you have some positive situations. Take care.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
We are just starting the battle here. My wife starts chemo next week to reduce/retard the growth in her right lung to work towards surgery in a few months to remove the c cells. So far, the wait times are fairly reasonable but we have the advantage of major center resources close at hand (and gov’t healthcare). We are both scared shitless . . . :oops:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
We are just starting the battle here. My wife starts chemo next week to reduce/retard the growth in her right lung to work towards surgery in a few months to remove the c cells. So far, the wait times are fairly reasonable but we have the advantage of major center resources close at hand (and gov’t healthcare). We are both scared shitless . . . :oops:
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I would be scared too. Don't give up on doing the good things you can do. No smoking or vaping may help your chemo treatment. I put you in my prayers friend.

Latest posts

Latest posts