What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Brass Capsules

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
30 grams kief
6 tablespoons coconut oil
1.5 teaspoons sunflower lecithin (accident)
2.0 teaspoons Fearn soy lecitihin

5 minutes out from the freeze. May freeze for an hour or 2 on this one.

Was having a hard time getting the thick kief sediment to suck up into the dropper.

Also last batch I had friends over and it took a couple hours to complete so it was on the mug heater possibly or a while which may have led to some cannabinoid degradation and lower THC potency.

full

BrassNwood

Veteran
30 grams kief
6 tablespoons coconut oil
1.5 teaspoons sunflower lecithin (accident)
2.0 teaspoons Fearn soy lecitihin

5 minutes out from the freeze. May freeze for an hour or 2 on this one.

Was having a hard time getting the thick kief sediment to suck up into the dropper.

Also last batch I had friends over and it took a couple hours to complete so it was on the mug heater possibly or a while which may have led to some cannabinoid degradation and lower THC potency.

full

It takes a fair bit of abuse to degrade the oil in any great way and I doubt extended time on the mug warmer made any real change.
Thin a smidgen with a 1/2 teaspoon of Oil. The extra lecithin may have thickened it to a near paste state.

BrassNwood

Veteran
PXL_20240410_203408944.jpg

I had 16 grams of decarbed hash I made for tincture shooters but the taste is less then appealing so it's perfect for capsules. Infused and left in the freezer. I'll finish it when we get back.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats what I did, added about half tsp coconut oil. The oil on the first batch was good thickness, it was just the sediment had to be stirred up well to get it to go into the dropper. Its from a dietary supplement tincture so it has a fairly small opening.

Think this next batch will be a winner with the soy lecithin. Thats the secret.

Got the sunflower lecithin in yesterday, but I don't think its as strong. Took a couple pills earlier today, and didn't seem to be as noticeable, and mouth wasn't dry.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Going to fill capsules in the morning. Covered the oil in the freezer.

Do you recommend allowing to reach room temperature before heating from the freezer. Its a big batch and has a deep pan, so I guess I have to since its not just a thin sheet of solid oil.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This batch doesn't seem to be very strong either. I think the kief was pretty strong when smoking it, so not sure what it is causing low activity/absorbtion.

I allowed the frozen batch to thaw and warmed it and stirred until it was liquid before cooking again at 220 for 20 minutes. Since it was a large batch added 5 minutes on second cook so it was 25 min.

Took 2 of the Size 0 capsules and took 1 of the large Size 00 capsules as of about 11:00, just took the 3rd, so will continue to check every 60-90 minutes and re-dose as needed.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah I think with 3 we're getting somewhere. Have been licking my fingers though filling these caps. Almost have a whole 120 ct jar I think it is!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah just have to take one every 60-90 minutes until it kicks in. These are great! The liquid soy lecithin makes the difference I think.

Sunflower lecithin at 5 grams and a tablespoon oil didn't seem to have much activity.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kief was decarbed for 40 minutes at 240F in the oven. After decarbing the kief, it was mixed with coconut oil and lecithin, then baked at 220F for 20 minutes. Then the oil was frozen for overnight or 8 hours. Then after allowing to warm to liquid using a warmer, placed in the oven for another 25 minutes to finish the infusion.

Used the "warm zone" function on the stove. Worked great!

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got the big capsules, but I don't think it will matter. I can just take them over time and adjust as needed. Just had a half filled one from the bottom of the dish after with lunch. This is a good rate. It will work with size 00 capsules.

1712867730414.jpeg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
- Ceramic oven-safe dish

- Foil

- Empty Pill Bottles

- Desiccant sachet

- size 00 GELATIN capsules.. they must be gelatin, if you use vegetarian,
I guess I got what was recommended, the size 00 capsules.

Why do you use the smaller size 0 capsules?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After you’ve mixed in your lecithin (or after you’ve removed your dish from

the freezer, and have given it ample time to reach room-temp) you will re-wrap it tightly in

foil, pre-heat your oven to 220 f, and place it inside
I think it would help to let it warm to liquid and stir before heating after freezing to get a good result.

Also freezing for a long period may be beneficial over a short time. Especially if doing a larger 30 gram kief batch with 3 oz oil plus lecithin. It would take time to freeze completely.

Soy seems to be superior too, so stick with that. The sunflower batch wasn't very strong with the same rate. May try it again to make sure. Also can combine both sunflower and soy lecithin, but I think its better to just run soy.

Soy lecithin is the most common type used in food production because its a very effective emulsifier. I can taste the difference with the liquid. Its a superior lecithin compared to sunflower.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I purchased a digital thermometer. I thought I needed it to test the temperature of the oil I guess. Would it be good to verify the oil has reached 220F?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you cover with a lid wen decarbing? That would keep the smell down, but not sure if that would mean it takes longer to decarb.

Says to decarb for 30-35 minutes also. Another site said 45 minutes. I think 40 minutes is good. I would want to make sure its completely decarboxylated. I break the chunks up a little to make sure its an even layer to evenly decarb.

Step-by-Step Instructions​

A four step image collage showing the steps needed to decarb kief.

• Step 1 – Preheat the oven to 240° F.
  • Step 2 – If you plan to infuse the kief into butter or oil, you can decarb it in the same jar you plan on using for the infusion process. This helps prevent any waste.
  • Step 3 – If you don’t plan to use the decarbed kief for an infusion, carefully put a layer of parchment paper into an oven-safe baking dish with a lid. Make sure the kief is in an even layer, you do not want clumps or mounds. If you don’t have a lid, the tin foil will work.
  • Step 4 – Using a digital scale, weigh the kief to your desired weight (example: 1 gram, 5 grams, 7.5 grams, or more) directly into the container you plan on using. Make sure the kief is in an even layer, you do not want clumps or mounds.

A four step image collage showing the steps needed to decarb kief.

• Step 5 – Place the dish in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes for THC-dominant flower or 60-65 minutes for CBD-dominant flower.
  • Step 6 – Remove the dish from the oven and allow it to cool completely with the lid on.
  • Step 7 – Your kief will have darkened in color. Sometimes, the resin crystals may have melted a little, but that’s OK and why we used parchment, so they don’t stick to the baking dish.
  • Step 8 – Your decarbed kief is now ready for immediate use. Be sure to store it in an airtight container in a cool, dark place if you don’t use it right away.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Not sure why a lot of these infusions are so long. We could infuse for longer, but it would begin to degrade the THC. These aren't necessarily instructions for capsule infusions though, but maybe it would be good to cook longer after freezing.

• Add the decarbed cannabis and coconut oil to a mason jar. If you plan on using lecithin, add it to the jars now. Secure the lid on the jar.
  • Step 4 – Carefully place the jars in the water bath. Place the lid on the crockpot. Leave it alone to infuse for 4 hours. After 4 hours, remove the jars from the water to cool.

It is best to do as BadKat's recipe says and cook for a short period to preserve the terpenes which have huge therapeutic value, also heat degrades canabinoids, so we want to stop that process as soon as possible.

Temperature Controls​

It is important to keep tight temperature controls when cooking with cannabis.
While heat is needed to decarboxylate the acids into the active form of cannabinoids our bodies can use, extreme temperatures can destroy many important plant materials that contribute to positive health outcomes, like terpenes.
Each terpene may have its own therapeutic health benefits, but it also carries its own sensitivity to heat.
If cannabis is heated above 300° Fahrenheit for a prolonged period of time, you run the risk of denaturing many important plant compounds.
For this reason, I recommend using an instant digital-read thermometer during your cooking process to ensure you never go above the safe temperature threshold.
You may also want to invest in a machine that can decarboxylate and infuse for you, like the Ardent or LEVO infusion machines.

I think this could be considered a form of FECO-full extract cannabis oil.

This process extracts a full spectrum of cannabinoids and other plant compounds from the plant.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Holy Coconut Oil Kief Capsules! – Recipe​

Posted on February 7, 2018 by Stone Everett

coconut oil kief capsule

Feb

Kief Capsules are a great option for those looking to make use out of their extra kief. They’re discreet, emit less odor and work just as well if not better than flower itself. In this recipe we’ll go over how to pack some potent coconut oil pollen pills but you can use just about any oil you choose.
What you’ll need:
  • 5g of finely ground kief (also called hash, bubble hash, kiff, pollen).
  • 2/3 c coconut oil
    ir
  • 2 Small heat resistant dishes – Pyrex works best
  • Oven thermometer
    ir
    – simple, you place a sensor inside your oven and a screen outside your oven will read the temperature FAR MORE ACCURATELY than your stock oven thermometer.
  • 1 tsp sunflower lecithin – this helps keep your end result more even, consistent and stable.
  • Capsules
    ir
    – They’re commonly made of gelatin and may also be at your local health store. Size 0 will hold more end product and is less cumbersome to fill but it’s bigger than size 3. Choose a size that you’re comfortable working with AND swallowing.
  • Blunt tip syringe – We’ll use these to transport the oil from our cooking dish to our pills. You want a 10 ml syringe with 14 or 16 gauge blunt tip needle.

Coconut Oil Kief Capsules Recipe​

1. Evenly spread your ground kief into one of your dishes and place in the oven at 240° F for 1 hr.
  2. Immediately after that start mixing your oil and lecithin in your other dish and place that in the oven as well for the remainder of the hr.
  3. Watch the temperature with your thermometer! It’s ok to open the oven or turn it off all together in order to manage. If it drops to 220 that’s ok and even if it goes up to 250 its ok but below 220 becomes less inefficient and beyond 250 you risk damaging your precious cannabinoids.
  4. At the end of the 1 hr remove everything from the oven.
  5. Stir your oil/lecithin mixture.
  6. With your syringe pull out some oil from your oil dish and add it to your kief. You want to add enough so that the kief becomes a liquid that you can pull back into the syringe a little later.
  7. Once you’ve combined your kief and oil stir them well – you can use the syringe for this. Then place the mixture back in the oven for another 10 min. Again, watch the temperature!
  8. Pull your mixture out and let it cool. This will make it easier to handle. Don’t attempt to fill your capsules with hot oil. Warm and luke warm are fine.
  9. Pull your mixture back into the syringe and begin filling your capsules. You want to fill the skinny half of the capsule so that you can then cover it with the wider cap.
  10. Enjoy!
There you have it – a really simple way to discreetly enjoy coconut oil kief capsules made fresh at home where you know what went in them. As we say in all of our recipes making any kind of edible is typically trial and error. Everyone uses different varieties of ingredients, everyone’s bud/kief is different and everyone’s ability and effort will always be unique. That being said there are some best practices to keep in mind when preparing AND consuming your edibles.

TIPS:

1. Keep written notes of everything. Note everything including the amount of every ingredient you used, the temperature you used, the time it took to sit, any additional ingredients you decided to add, how much you consumed and how it made you feel, etc and learn what works best for you. You can more accurately adjust your dosages if you know what you’ve already tried.
  2. Store your finished product in pre-measured or measurable containers. This will make it easier to portion out your finished product accurately. For example, a pre-measured dish for cannabutter, an eye dropper bottle with measurements on the dropper for tinctures, a certain sized capsule, etc.
  3. When consuming, take it slow. Edibles typically don’t hit instantly like smoking and can sometimes take hours to kick in – or not. Start with a little and don’t adjust until you’ve given it time.
  4. As always, be safe and enjoy. Your notes will help you do this.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Cannabis-Infused Coconut Oil Capsules​

Coconut Capsules

If you’re looking for an effective and efficient way to orally dose your cannabinoids in a manner that’s free of unwanted calories and unnecessary ingredients, then cannabis capsules may just be your answer. Canna caps, as they are often referred to, have become a staple across the cannabis industry as they offer a safe and effective oral delivery method that can be easily dosed and optimally metabolized. Most dispensaries carry some variation of the canna cap, and depending on where you purchase them, they may differ in their potency and ingredients.
Cannabis-infused capsules are also a perfect DIY project for anybody looking for a safe, inexpensive, and relatively simple at-home infusion. The required materials can be procured inexpensively, either online or at your local health food and/or drug store. This at-home project takes just a few hours and can be accomplished several different ways, depending on what ingredients and equipment are available to you.
Our recipe utilizes an infusion derived from coconut oil and soy lecithin. Combined, these two act as a terrific metabolizing agent for the cannabinoids as they pass through our digestive systems, enabling us to get more bang for our buck when dosing orally.
Keep in mind that dosing will vary considerably depending on a number of factors, such as the potency of your starting material and the ratio of the ingredients used. There is no standard ratio, but you can use our ratio(s) as a rough guideline and experiment to find what is right for you. The only way to fully know how potent your capsules are is to take them to a lab for testing, so don’t be afraid to use this option if it is available to you.

Ingredients and Materials Required for Cannabis Capsules​

• 7-14 grams of cannabis (ground flowers are preferred for this recipe, though you can use kief and/or ground trim if you desire)
  • 1/4 – 1/2 cup of organic extra virgin coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp soy lecithin
  • Oven or slow cooker
  • 45 to 50 empty gelatin capsules (preferably size 00)
  • Capsule Filling machine
  • Syringe: 10mm oral irrigators with tapered deep reach tips
  • 1 cooking pot with lid
  • 1 glass bowl
  • 1 baking tray
  • 1 sheet of parchment paper
  • 1 piece of cheese cloth
  • 1 small bowl
  • 1 rubber band
  • 1 spatula

Instructions​

STEP 1: DECARBOXYLATION
Preheat your oven to 220 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare your material by grinding it finely with your grinder and spreading the grounds across a sheet of parchment paper that has been placed over a baking tray. Ovens tend to fluctuate in temperature, so it’s important to note that you do not want the oven hotter than 250 degrees. Any hotter and you begin to risk cooking off valuable cannabinoids. The material will need to bake for about 30-45 minutes before you can achieve a proper decarboxylation, though you can continue this process for longer if you prefer. Once finished, pull the tray from the oven and proceed to step 2.
If you plan on using your oven for the remainder of the process, keep the temperature at 220 degrees.
STEP 2: INFUSION
1. OVEN- Begin by filling your cooking pot 3/4 of the way full with water and bringing it to a soft boil. Add your coconut oil and soy lecithin to your glass cooking bowl and place it within the rim of your cooking pot so that the bowl sits about 1-2 inches above the soft boiling water. After several minutes, your coconut oil and soy lecithin will melt down and you can add your finely ground and decarboxylated cannabis. Mix the material together until everything is homogenous. Empty the hot water out of your cooking pot and then add the oil mixture. Place the pot back in the oven (still at 220 degrees) for an additional 30-45 minutes. Check in a few times to stir, if necessary. You may cook the mix for longer if desired. This may affect the potency of your end product because it will allow for a further degradation of THC to CBN, a conversion known to add a more sedating effect to your finished capsule.
2.SLOW COOKER- Add your decarboxylated starting material, coconut oil, and soy lecithin to your slow cooker and turn the unit to LOW HEAT. Allow the material to cook for 2 hours (longer if desired) to achieve as proper decarboxylation, stirring several times per hour. Slow cookers tend to cook around 200 degrees on the low setting, so make sure you check beforehand to get a better estimate of how much time you will need.
STEP 3: FILLING CAPS
While your oil is finishing in the oven, prepare the size 00 empty gelatin capsules and capsule filling machine by following the instructions on the package. These devices are designed to make capsule filling a much easier, more streamlined process, though the machine is not required — you can always poke some holes in a cardboard box with a pen to help hold the capsules in place while you fill them. (In my opinion, the small amount you will pay for the machine is worth the convenience.)
Now take your cheese cloth and secure it over the rim of your small bowl using the rubber band. When the oil is finally finished, remove it from the oven and strain the oil through your cheese cloth and into the small bowl, catching the unnecessary particulates along the way. Afterwards, be sure to let the oil cool to a temperature less than 100 degrees Fahrenheit before proceeding with filling your syringe. Gelatin capsules tend to melt over 100 degrees, so make sure that your oil is as cool as you can get it before letting it solidify.
Once the oil has cooled to your desired temperature, it’s time to fill the syringe. Do so by following your syringe’s instructions, and make sure the oil remains warm enough to stay liquid. Use the syringe’s tapered deep reach tip to feed the oil into the gelatin capsules, one at a time, until you run out of oil; repeat this process accordingly. Once finished, use the instructions on your filling machine to close each capsule. During this process, you may find that you have over filled a few caps. Use a hand towels or tissue to wipe the remaining residue. The finished caps can be store in a cool, dark place (like a refrigerator) until you are ready to use them. If done properly, this recipe will produce around 45-50 capsules (this amount is only an estimate and will depend on the ratios of starting material and oil you used).
DOSING:
Dosing will depend on 3 variables:
  1. Potency of starting material
  2. Ratio of oil to starting material
  3. Decarboxylation
The easiest and most accurate way to test the strength of your caps is to take them to a lab for testing. If you’re looking for a rough estimate of how strong your caps are, take the potency of your starting material and convert it to milligrams. Once you have this figure, divide it by the net weight of your final yield and shave off 10% or so to account for decarboxylation. This should land you in the ball park of how potent your whole batch will be. Take this figure and divide it once more by the number of capsules you filled and that will leave you will an estimate to work with.

Source: Leafly.com

Latest posts

Latest posts