What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bought a New Tester

smilley

Veteran
I've been feeding at 6.2 ph and 1.5 ec for two weeks now and the plants look great at 5 weeks of 11/13. Hopefully the plants will continue to thrive till harvest in about 7 weeks.

20231029_105537.jpg

smilley

Veteran
I've been using the new ph meter for 5 weeks now and it's done wonders for my plants. I test the calibration eery time I use it and recalibrate it as necessary. There is no premature yellowing and the plants are loiving the ph balanced feeding regime. I don't use the ec meter as the feeding is pretty well dialed in. EC is about 1.3.

20231115_105832.jpg
20231115_105854.jpg
20231115_105947.jpg

Ca++

Seems inexpensive, but Amazon make all the money
$2

In soil, I just like to get the tap down below 6.5 on average. It could be 6.2 one day, and 6.8 the next. I'm just looking at an average, as soil buffers well. I would hope to get within 0.2 though, if making the same tank, every day.
A lot depends on the initial hardness.

Progress looks good :)
Order your next meters now, if the $1.14 (plus taxes) offer is still there. These cheap pH one's might last 6 months, or until you leave the lid off. The EC one could last indefinitely. It's worth having a spare, when it's cheaper than new batteries.

smilley

Veteran
I agree with you on all things Ca++. Wow, that is cheap, I think I will buy a couple of them. If I get 6 months out of the present one I'll be happy.

I put a drop of storage solution in the cap after every use and I test the calibration before every use.

Here's a couple of pics of the crop at 59 days of 11/13. No premature yellowing.
20231123_101046.jpg
20231123_101100.jpg

smilley

Veteran
I did order a meter from the link you posted. It was C$0.69 including shipping. It'll be here in February.

Ca++

I did order a meter from the link you posted. It was C$0.69 including shipping. It'll be here in February.
That's odd. They are saying 13 days, and $1 off if it's late.
This might be because my IP is in the EU. I did tell them USA though. I didn't realise you were Canadian.
At 69c you probably don't care if it ever gets here :) Or you would of just found another seller.
69 cents lol

trixP

Ca++

The Bastards! lol

At least they didn't send you a picture of one, so there is still hope. It's a bloody long wait though.

I'm not sure if it's being in the UK, but I tend to see 5 days, 8 days, 12 days. Generally meaning the goods are stored in an Ali warehouse. I find myself buying from different sellers, yet the accumulative basket value keeps upgrading my postage. A sure sign it's drop shipping.

Some sellers are still posting stuff themselves though. So we have to trust they actually have it, and it's not coming by 'message in a bottle'

I tend to look down the listings for what's worded "spend £8 for free 12 days delivery" or such like. If you get that offer by spending in different stores, you know it's goods from Ali, who are as reliable as Amazon. This seller set off alarm bells with the crazy price and very slow post. It may still arrive though. Once he has got a big enough order for the factory to supply him.

smilley

Veteran
Aliexpress will step in tomorrow and resolve the issue if the seller doesn't respond. I just want my 69 cents back or my meter delivered. If I get my refund, I'll order another with a shorter delivery time. If they screw me out of my money, I'll chock it up to a learning experience and never deal with Aliexpress again.

Last edited:

Abdthi1966

Premium user
So, I bought this inexpensive kit from Amazon.

View attachment 18904061

It's a cheapo for sure but hopefully some of it works. I stopped testing for ph after my 4th pen stopped working properly. I've been flying blind for years now with reasonable results but I get leaf yellowing about 7 weeks into flowering which I believe is causing reduced yields. It'll be here in a couple of days. I'll give my initial thoughts when it arrives.
Idk mate I’ve used the ph meter and I found it to be incredibly unreliable. I ended up spending 100$ bucks on a lab grade ph meter and haven’t looked back.

With the EC/PPM it was still off but with tester fluid you can see by how much and adjust it in your head. I think some tester fluid is like 15$ on Amazon or something.

smilley

Veteran
The original ph meter and ec meter are still working fine and my wife is very happy with the moisture meter that I gave her. I wanted the new ph meter as a back-up. After my current crop, the ph meter won't get used for 3 - 4 months and that's when the meters seem to fail on me. My tap water is a constant ph and I know exactly how much ph down I need per gallon. I just use the meter to ensure I don't screw up with the measurements.

Abdthi1966

Premium user
The original ph meter and ec meter are still working fine and my wife is very happy with the moisture meter that I gave her. I wanted the new ph meter as a back-up. After my current crop, the ph meter won't get used for 3 - 4 months and that's when the meters seem to fail on me. My tap water is a constant ph and I know exactly how much ph down I need per gallon. I just use the meter to ensure I don't screw up with the measurements.
Lol I didn’t realize how old this thread was when I responded. I saw two pages and figured wrong.

I’m glad it’s working for you, it just didn’t work for me unfortunately. But I use rainwater which is more inconsistent, at least for me.

Ca++

Lol I didn’t realize how old this thread was when I responded. I saw two pages and figured wrong.

I’m glad it’s working for you, it just didn’t work for me unfortunately. But I use rainwater which is more inconsistent, at least for me.
Many pH meters will be ruined in rain/distilled/RO whatever.
It's okay once the feed is in, but not pure water.
I have killed a costly meter learning this.

Checking the pH of such water isn't needed anyway. It will be about 6.5 as water is 7, and it has co2 in it. With so little in it, the slightest bit of something will dominate it. My feed is 4.0 (in the bottle) so in RO I get 4.0 as the water has nothing in it to effect the feeds 4.0
We often speak of buffering, which is the waters resistance to change, but it's not the water really. The tap water usually carries calcium, and calcium has the 8ish pH commonly seen. It's not really the water, but the stuff in it that sets the pH, and how set, is the buffer against change.
I'm saying this, as with RO I use my feed, which leaves the tank at 4.0 and I just use it. I feed coco/soil at that 4.0 as my feeds buffering is weak. The soil/coco has a stronger buffering action. The 4.0 in the top, comes out the bottom about 7. Had I tried to correct the pH, the 'up' required would be minuscule. Leaving the set point weakly buffered, and likely to change with temperature. Also my feed is fine, and adding alkalies to it didn't keep my plants any happier. It started to upset the plants. Even in rockwool I was pouring in 4 and getting out 7. With any acid just not making them happy.

I do see most people use RO then set the pH, but it's worth looking if you actually need to. All feeds are different in this respect. Mine uses just 50ppm Ca hence it's a low pH with little buffering. A high pH feed could actually come out the bottle higher.

But yeah.. killed my meter measuring RO, in one dunk

Abdthi1966

Premium user
I have killed a costly meter learning this.

Checking the pH of such water isn't needed anyway. It will be about 6.5 as water is 7, and it has co2 in it. With so little in it, the slightest bit of something will dominate it. My feed is 4.0 (in the bottle) so in RO I get 4.0 as the water has nothing in it to effect the feeds 4.0
We often speak of buffering, which is the waters resistance to change, but it's not the water really. The tap water usually carries calcium, and calcium has the 8ish pH commonly seen. It's not really the water, but the stuff in it that sets the pH, and how set, is the buffer against change.
I'm saying this, as with RO I use my feed, which leaves the tank at 4.0 and I just use it. I feed coco/soil at that 4.0 as my feeds buffering is weak. The soil/coco has a stronger buffering action. The 4.0 in the top, comes out the bottom about 7. Had I tried to correct the pH, the 'up' required would be minuscule. Leaving the set point weakly buffered, and likely to change with temperature. Also my feed is fine, and adding alkalies to it didn't keep my plants any happier. It started to upset the plants. Even in rockwool I was pouring in 4 and getting out 7. With any acid just not making them happy.

I do see most people use RO then set the pH, but it's worth looking if you actually need to. All feeds are different in this respect. Mine uses just 50ppm Ca hence it's a low pH with little buffering. A high pH feed could actually come out the bottle higher.

But yeah.. killed my meter measuring RO, in one dunk
Interesting my rain water comes out like 9 haha but I get what your saying. I stopped looking at it once I moved to living soil but I break out the Apera meter for some hydro stuff sometimes when doing seed stuff

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Your mileage obviously varies from mine.

I find the cheapie yellow pH meters last a looooooong time, when I keep them in a jar of R/O water. (on #3 after 5? years. That's under $50) Holds calibration well, reads quickly, works a treat. Keep it wet though. ;)

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Interesting my rain water comes out like 9 haha but I get what your saying. I stopped looking at it once I moved to living soil but I break out the Apera meter for some hydro stuff sometimes when doing seed stuff
You will get false readings if you have less than 100 or 125 ppm in the water.