What's new

Bottomfeeding: no drain, no waste

NPK

Thanks! They're really sucking it up at this point, so I'm going to start filling the trays a little deeper--up to 3". I've had to fill them every other day.

These very healthy seed plants are bottom-fed, too. Hmmm, I could water 25 seedlings every day, or I could water a couple of trays every 2-3 days. It's a no-brainer.

picture.php

Scoobs

nice info/thread everyone. Been bottom feeding this go around and love the KISS method. Plants have never looked better and the fungus gnat issue from past grows is history.

NPK

I made vertical scrog screens with 1/2" PVC pipes, connectors, and fishing line. What's awesome about the fishing line is it's cheapness ($3 for 700 feet) and flexibility: I can stick my hand into the screen holes, which makes training much easier.

The plants are in one-gallon square pots, two pots per 2-foot planter box. I filled the boxes half full last watering, 3" deep, and the plants sucked it all up in less than two days. Amazing. I do think watering the farther-in boxes is going to become more challenging as the screens fill in, but we'll see. I'm happy for now.

picture.php

cyat

Veteran
Marley wreck in dollar store bags of sunshine #4, in a kiddee pool,bottom fed biobizz grow and bloom
picture.php

Aquaticfan

Loving the bottom feeding in 2 litre pots of coco.
I'm wanting to reduce salt build-up and wondered if I should water from the top with the same amount as I bottom feed with plain ph'd water or just feed from bottom with ph water?

6 x 2 litre pots in 1 tray x 5 under each 600w HPS.
Each tray takes 2 litre every 24 hours with some standing water, but as the roots take hold, I am sure I will be feeding 2 x day in full flower.

Thanks.
Uk

T

thesloppy

Loving the bottom feeding in 2 litre pots of coco.
I'm wanting to reduce salt build-up and wondered if I should water from the top with the same amount as I bottom feed with plain ph'd water or just feed from bottom with ph water?

As far as I understand it, when bottomfeeding the salts will collect at the top of the container, so you should flush from the top.

John Deere

Veteran
I've seen crusty buildup at the top of my pots when pouring straight into the bottom too often. This round I've been pouring through the top almost every time and it seems to be working much better.

Others have also mentioned that watering from the top will pull oxygen down into the medium while just sucking from the bottom won't. Seems to make sense to me.

Aquaticfan

As far as I understand it, when bottomfeeding the salts will collect at the top of the container, so you should flush from the top.

Hey TS!

Should I flush with my usual nute % of 3 quarter nutes or plain PH water?
I've been feeding at the bottom for 3 weeks now, so I'm due a flush of some kind. I'll flush on next watering.

Regards. A

Aquaticfan

I've seen crusty buildup at the top of my pots when pouring straight into the bottom too often. This round I've been pouring through the top almost every time and it seems to be working much better.

Others have also mentioned that watering from the top will pull oxygen down into the medium while just sucking from the bottom won't. Seems to make sense to me.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=34932&pictureid=904023&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Hey JD.
With so many smaller pots to feed, I'm bottom feeding to reduce my work. But I will feed from the top next time round in 24 hours to give them a break.
1 of my trays always has water in it and no sign of over watering even from first potting up from plugs.
However for some reason, the plants in his tray have stretched a lot more than the others in 12/12?

I'm hoping with me bubbling my stored water always in its own 100L tank that when I mix up nutes, it will have a good amount of O2 in it already when bottom feeding.
When feeding my mothers, I always use a fine rose and water slowly.
I'll take this stance when I feed the plants from the top this time.

Thanks.

T

thesloppy

Hey TS!

Should I flush with my usual nute % of 3 quarter nutes or plain PH water?
I've been feeding at the bottom for 3 weeks now, so I'm due a flush of some kind. I'll flush on next watering.

Regards. A

I flush with plain water, and sometimes with a 1/2 Tsp of molasses, every couple of weeks.

John Deere

Veteran
Even hitting them occasionally from the top seemed to help in my previous grows. Keep us posted on your progress. Best of luck.

Aquaticfan

Hey guys!

I've just flushed 40 x 2 litre pots with plain ph water @ 5.8 ph.
This took me forever and I was wondering if I could get away with not flushing from the top and flushing from wthe bottom with. Ph'd water and using lower strength nutes I.e
3/4 nutes then plain ph water, then 1/2 nutes then back upto 3/4 nutes for another couple weeks?

T

thesloppy

I think you do need some runoff to flush properly. The salts/concentrations that collect at the top of your container are never going to get flushed out if you don't get a healthy amount of runoff.

On the other hand, there are plenty of folks who claim that flushing isn't necessary, if you're feeding the right amount...but I myself run multiple strains at once, and have just never gotten comfortable enough with my plants to feel comfortable not flushing them at all. If I was planning on zero flushing I'd probably start by doing 1/2 nutes for the entire life-cycle of the plant, seeing how they responded, and then adjusting from there.

If you really want a no-flush, no hassle method of feeding, you might try using a granulated/time-release organic nute mix (check out the thread 'organics for beginners' for some good starter recipes) mixed into your coco before planting. That way you could water with plain water from the bottom, for the entire life of the plant, without any flushing required. I've often considered trying this method (and I used to grow this way in soil), but I've just got too many nutes in the closet to burn through before I give another method a try.

John Deere

Veteran
I'm finishing up my current run w/GH in coco and then switching over to organics based on that thread. I went with a mix of coco and peat since they've both got something to offer. I've got some clones in the organic mix that are doing great. I've modified my bottom feeding process so they're not sitting in water as long since it's a bit denser mix than straight coco/perlite.

Here's a pic from a week or so ago.

T

thesloppy

I went with a mix of coco and peat since they've both got something to offer.

Have you ever used/heard of Black Gold's Waterhold Cocoblend? It's my go to cheap/supermarket coco, when I'm too lazy/poor to make it to the hydro store, but it's about a 50/50 mix of coir and peat moss, as far as my understanding goes. There's also some worm casting and lime in there, so it makes for a pretty good MJ mix straight out of the bag. I've had pretty good results with it, but as you noted it's a lot 'muddier' than straight coco. I'd probably use it a lot more, if I didn't have to buy it at the supermarket and deal with the higher chance of gnats.

John Deere

Veteran
Nope, not familiar with it. I just bought a bale of peat and a large brick of compressed coco and made my own mix per the guidelines in the thread. Cheaper in the long run and I won't need to buy more for a long time.

I've got some peppers in the mix, too, and they're kicking ass.

T

thesloppy

Nope, not familiar with it. I just bought a bale of peat and a large brick of compressed coco and made my own mix per the guidelines in the thread.

If I weren't on the third floor of an apartment building, I'd give that a shot too. Are you going to keep bottomfeeding the new mix? Let us know how it works out.