What's new

Bone's 288 W CFL Organic Scrog

Billy Bones

Hi fellas! This is my first indoor project, after some wild guerrilla adventures. The idea behind this box was simple. In our cozy country many people believe that the best weed is grown under HPS and with big ass bag full of chemistry. But damn, who can beat the sun and the nature. So I chose to grow fully organic and just under CFL’s.

The 12 X 24 W CFL’s (6/6 warm and cool) were chosen for their optimum balance between W/Lumens and the more even light distributions.To maximize the effect, a simple reflector was made from some PVC tubing’s and aluminum tape.

The construction of the carbon filters is also very simple. Two plastic boxes were used. The bottom was cut and replaced with fine plastic screen. In the lid was cut hole for fan and the whole combo (lids, mouse pads and the fans) were joined together to the top of the box. The carbon filters were made from tick, metal wire, bended in the form of the plastic box inside diameter. The frame itself was put in silk sock and filled with nice carbon granules. The whole system is very efficient in combination with the Scrubninja’s light trap. The carbon screens also acts like light traps for the in and out lights, so no more light paranoia too.

Three seeds were grown. Nothing special, just some nice, old school breeding from good friends.

The soil mix was made from sand, small stones, rich, organic farm fertilizer and some straw for aeration. That’s it, nothing more or less. The mix is very basic, but I wanted to make the thing as natural as possible. Only two pot changes, some training and SCROG, around 4 mounts in the box, 80 gr. nice buds and 10 gr. pop corns. Also a nice trim for butter.

For first grow, I’m very pleased with the results and the electric bills were hilarious.

Sandnut

Wow, very impressive and really creative!

Those buds look delicious
give them a good cure and you wont regret the end product!
good job bro!

Looks really good in there, lots of light and good quality bud. Have you thought about doing more plants and not scrogging? My first few grows I was doing scrog to keep the height down since I am microgrowing just like you but after I switched to just smaller containers and smaller trees, but planting a lot more my yields went way up. 70g is pretty good for that box but I bet you can get more :).

Kgrow

I love it, great job!
what's the size of your cab, and how long tid you veg them?

hope to see more.
-Kgrow

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
wow that looks like it was fun grow. and a job well done.
deff wanna watch ur new grow. I love growing in bubblers/dwc's.

so what strains are u growing now.

Billy Bones

Same strains as the first grow. The weed is result from long breed selection, so I’ll skip the fancy names. It’s VERY potent with rich flavor, especially the sativa one. The buds (even under CFL) are dense, with just the right fluffiness....;) This time I’ll grow only one indica and one sativa hybrid to see how big will be the yield in the second run by adding some other improvements. After that I’ll stick to the SoG method.

kjz71521

That is a creative cfl setup bro, Im liking what your reflector was created with.
Where did you get your cfl bulbs, that U style ? I like that style cfl for distribution. My girlfriends mom had a few in her living room and I captured 2 threw them in my garden and bought her some .75 cent wally world cfl's. Nice grow man, And keep it green thumb..

Billy Bones

The reflector was made from cut in half 110 mm. PVC tubing. The three parts were joined together with two aluminum pipes, which also serve as a holder for the chains. The holes around the bulbs were made for better air circulation, then the inner side of the PVC was covered with aluminum tape and carefully polished with dry rag. I was trying to mimic the shape and light distribution from the PLL’s and so far the results are very good.

Not sure for the bulbs. I just buy them from the first dealer, who offered me the best price & quality.

Billy Bones

Some updates around the box. Before I jump to the SoG method, I decide to give a try on something really interesting (at least for me). The two plants on the pictures were grown and still leave in my old, recycled organic mixture, without any other additives.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=29324&pictureid=655927

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=29324&pictureid=655929

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=29324&pictureid=655906

Yes, I was very bad with my girls. Little food, little water and some old school spanking to remove the crispy leaves. Yeah, I know they look skinny compared to my first grow, but keep in mind that these two girls were vegged for only a month. So, what's the big deal? Well, weed is WEED. This means a very adaptive plant, with huge will to survival. As we know, the plants create their own microflora in the soil, which provide the food and the “vitamins”. Now the results are clear. The plants will not only survive, but will adapt and give fruits like any other, grown indoor weed. The yields don’t bother me, I just want to take a hit from these skinny ladies and find how potent they are. Maybe the spartan conditions will trigger some defence mechanism, which will produce different type of high and taste. Who knows?

Ok, here's my new project. A home for my green mom, which I hope will make many, many green children's. The housing is ordinary plastic bucket. First I thought that painting it in and out will solve the light leaking problem, but after some tests I just taped the inside walls with aluminum tape.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=29324&pictureid=655907

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=29324&pictureid=655912

Four passive angle traps covered with some nylon for filtration.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=29324&pictureid=655908

One corespondenting exhaust hole with 80 X 80 computer fan (0,39 A). The light came from two, cold 26 W CFL’s mounted to the basket lid.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=29324&pictureid=655917

Some photos from the proud mother. Looking a little bit odd in this moment, but I’ll remove it in new soil after day or two.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=29324&pictureid=655918

Billy Bones

The new beginning...... 288 W CFL Organic SoG !

Attachments

• P6285251.jpg
    P6285251.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 12

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Absolutely a nice set up. You gotta love CFL's. I run a T5 8 lamp 194 watts and get superb results, just finis:smoweed:hng my first scrog and loving it.
Great job.

:smoweed:

Billy Bones

Being very lazy man :friends: and not a native English speaker I finally spend some time to report the results from my second grow. The text was wiriten around week after the chop and was rotten on my desktop for months, so keep that on mind too!

“The yields from plant (compared to my first grow) are 30 – 40 % lower, but let me tell you something…….the high and the aroma are much, much better compared to the original plants from which these clones were cut. I know how this sounds, but to be honest I’ve expected this result allmost from the beginning of their flowering cycle. Ok, whats this all about? Like I say before, the weed is WEED. A very adaptive plant, with huge will to survival.

Except some exotic sativas you can grow weed almost everywhere or create grow conditions even on Mars. For me, GOOD weed is not necessary synonym for high yields and resin production. Years ago I have observations about the psychedelic qualities of some healty, grown in ideal condition plants and some poorly feeded specimen outdoor. Now, I was finally able to test this fully indoor.

The almost exhausted organic soil (no further additives) yielded somewhat skiny buds, but the high from them is so powerful and psychedelic, that after some comparitive smoke sesions, I decide to convert all my leftovers from the first grow in BHO. Yes, I know……., but the results are in front of me and I’m high as fuck (keep in mind that I’m very heavy smoker, with easily bild tolerance).

I have some speculations about this phenomenon. More food is not usually equal to more potent bud. The deficit in the plants produces different ratios (as defence mechanism) of THC and CBD in the plant, which produce different type of high and effects. By this I mean it’s all about the genes fellas.If you have the good stuff, you can grow even in pure soil. Nowday almost every commercial weed is high yield. Is this mean more potent bud? Nope, I have smoked weed with no visible crystals, which looks like oregano, but the high was mind blowing. So how the fuck the original plants were trained to produce buds as big as baseball bats. Well with some feeding and selecting, than again some feeding and selecting, than again some feeding and selecting, than again some feeding and selecting …….:violin:The seed banks wants big yielders (tragicly most of their clients too), but as we all know from the nature (poor fat people) more is not always better. It’s like the big, shiny tomatoes in the market. Huge, good looking, but when you taste it…..I prefer the small, tasty ones from my outdoor garden.

Sounds sneazy, but maybe the commercial strains we all know lose their psyhodelic countities with every cycle as result from overfeeding. You eat and eat, but in the end you’re still hungry. Everyone can try this experiment. Choose your favorite strain and grow it just in poor organic soil. The resulted plants are almost free from fan leaves (no more triming) and every juice is transferred to the buds to protect the fruit. The aroma, even after week or so in the jars is unbelivable. The sativa hybrid smell like fresh appel peels. The former sativa hybrid mother was nice smell too, but this skinny girl is something completely different.“

First to say, I’m not here to make general statements.

Second, these are just some thoughts and personal observations based on my limited indoor growing experience. :jerkit:

Billy Bones

Some updates from my little forest.

Attachments

• P7065522.jpg
    P7065522.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 10
  • P7065523.jpg
    P7065523.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 10
  • P7065526.jpg
    P7065526.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 15