What's new

BonerJam:TwentyEleven Springtime! Coco w/ Blumats

N

NachoConQueso

So I've been slacking a lot on the grow log. Sometimes life gets busy I guess.

I'll try and do some pictures around harvest. Basically the ISS came in amazing. So much weight and gorgeous buds. The Urkle is starting to barely turn purple on the tips of the calyxs, but I'm taking her to a full 10 weeks (3 to go). She's got some good weight on her too, but nothing mind boggling in the yield department. As for the Chernobyl...(sigh) this plant gave me shit for yield. It looks very lovely and stretched the most of any plant. It had no signs of deficiences or anything, but it grew tiny ass buds and totally stopped producing new calyxs. Upon further investigation I found many other people with the exact same results. It'll be the last time I grow anything Subcool. I've done other strains by him and have been left disappointed. Now seeing that other people have had the same problems then there is reason to feel disappointed. Oh well, moving on.

Probably TMI there.

bluepeace

Been following your thread, nice work in the detail! I am close to doing the blumats, whats your opinion on them and would you do anything different (model)!

Thanks in advance!

N

NachoConQueso

Been following your thread, nice work in the detail! I am close to doing the blumats, whats your opinion on them and would you do anything different (model)!

Thanks in advance!

I'm planning on using the blumats again next round because I've been having a good amount of success with them. I've run into 2 different (and fixable) problems with the blumats. First, dealing with precipitates. This has been occuring from mixing various nutrients. I'm finding solids at the bottom of my reservoir and as my water level lowers the small amount of solids begin to occupy a lot more inside my water lines. This has led to some nasty clogs. Solution: new nutrients and less parts. Right now its H & G A + B + BudXL + KoolBloom Liquid + Silica + DripClean + pH'ing...that's too much shit. My regime next round will be Veg: Dyna-Gro Foliage + Silica + DripClean + pH Bloom: Dyna-Gro Bloom + Silica + Mag-Pro + DripClean + pH. From 7 different bottles to 5. A little better so we'll see what happens with the precipitation and settling.

My second problem, the distributors. This isn't really even a problem for me, but the drip rate is uneven between distributors. I've noticed that this particular distributors screwcap screws down with less friction than other screwcaps. The decrease in friction could mean a wider fitting therefore allowing more water flow. This could explain the difference in drip rates. Again, its not a big deal and just getting water out to those far reaches of my pots is good enough. It seems to be able to cope with differences just fine.

Keeping clean lines really seems to the most difficult thing for me at this point. The blumats are still my top choice of water systems at the moment.

Space Case

Veteran
Looking good! Very healthy plants! I've always wondered how blumats would work with coco.

May I ask why you are using KoolBloom instead of Top Booster and/or Shooting Powder? and also why you aren't using Root Excelurator? I am a big fan of the entire H&G line, just gotta rearrange it a bit, and using Shooting Powder as a early K-boost has been great, around week 3-4.

Rouge

Do u have an air line (or rez level indicator) from the bottom of your rez to the top to bleed off any air if air got in the line?

If only you could make that air line run water continuously back into the rez (w/o a pump of course). How can you make water go uphill (higher than the rez level) without pushing it up there? Impossible! But then again this is ICmag and there are a lot of mad geniuses around here.

If it could be done, what you'd have to give up is your rez level indicator but you'll still be bleeding away any air bubbles and you'd get a very oxygenated rez, from the nutrient sol'n pouring back thru the top, which I believe is a supercharger 4 your roots. I have not tried it.......... just dreamin.

Thanks for the info on the distributors and end of line valve drainer. Seems to me ya could run a couple of clones from one blumat. But if as you say the drip rates are uneven then ..........

Desert Hydro

Veteran
BLUMATS FTW!!! those are some beautiful plants. i love blumats but ive never run the add on drippers. single point drip works just fine for me. i was in hydro but im switching back to blumats for sheer simplicity. keep up the good work!

Rouge

This is what I'm a gonna try to force fluid thru the air line back into the rez for the purpose of aerating it.
1. Make the air line thick at the bottom and thin at the top
2. Pulling - put a wick into the air line back to the top of the rez?
3. Suction momentum - get a fast flow going then put the air hose back into the rez
...............................atmospheric pressure is a bitch
5. Throw in the towel and get a Wally world pump

Desert Hydro

Veteran
just buy an air pump or get a small submersible. i know house and garden says not to use airstones with their nutes so i just run a submersible pump to keep the water circulating