What's new

bOKASHI!

maryjohn

Veteran
wound up ordering it from emamerica. anyone ever dealt with them? shipping was kinda steep.

Now I just need to find a source for bran. I think the bucket I ordered comes with some but I want to make my own so I can use the em-1 elsewhere.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Wheat bran is easily available at a 'feed & tack' store or a 'farm store' and while I don't want to dissuade you on sourcing 'organic wheat bran' I would offer you this - it's far, far more expensive as most of the organic bran is used in the baking industry so you'd probably have to go to a foodservice supplier like SYSCO or a regional baking supply company.

I bought a gallon of SCD Bio Ag for $23.99 (+ $9.00) and at 1:1000 (3/4 tsp. per gallon) that is enough for a long, long time.

Pretty cheap for what it does for your plants in veg and flower cycles.

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Yeah one box is covered in blue mold and this liquidy stuff. The other two just have a tiny bit of blue and some white fungi streaks going through... i tipped the blue one on my compost heap and it seemed pretty right underneath... the other two look ok and have that nice sweet and sour smell. They should be ok? Only one way to find out i guess... time to make my bokashi kitchen scrap box!!!

Peas!!!!
SilverSurfer

I found that putting the 'wet bokashi bran' into black trash-can liners (50-gallon from HomeDepot) works better than a tub as it's easier to remove most of the air from the bag once you're ready to seal it up.

When I was using Rubbermade tubs I had some of the very same problems that you've described.

HTH

CC

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Usually people spread the inoculated bran out on a tarp and let it air dry. It only takes a couple of days depending on the temperature (obviously) and humidity in your area.

Then you can store it in buckets with a lid and it will last for several years.

I add about 3/4 cup per each 5-gallon of potting soil with good results. This is followed up with weekly watering with the EM product mixed at 3/4 tsp. per gallon of water and I add 1/8 tsp. of pure humic acid from TeraVita.

CC

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice one Coot!

Think i can salvage a fair bit but we live and learn a!

The rest can go in my worm bin and compost heap.

I didnt use EM1 just my own microbial tea and it seemed to do the trick...

Cheers. :rasta:

confused

so how does one dry the bokashi bran?

I put it out on a big blue tarp in the sun. It took about 3 hours to dry - I would go and rake and turn it about every 30-45 minutes. Make sure you break up all the big pieces so it will dry all the way. Good luck!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Good advice there, Confused!

Then again you probably live in an area where you actually have sun - we don't have much of that in the Pacific Northwest.

LOL

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
In one of the barns/sheds. It takes about 4 days if it's humid or raining. No big deal - it just takes a bit longer than doing it the way that Confused outlined in his post.

Technically you can keep the bran 'wet' as long as you have a sealed container but it can go bad if too much air reaches the inoculated bran.

HTH

CC

confused

Good advice there, Confused!

Then again you probably live in an area where you actually have sun - we don't have much of that in the Pacific Northwest.

LOL

Yeah Clackamas it is very sunny around here :smile: . I read my post and it seems a little matter of fact - but I was just really high. I'm positive that people have different results in varying climates.

I need to get off my butt and inoculate some more bran to try this again.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Confused

There's an old joke in Oregon that goes something like this: "So what do Oregonians do in the summer?"

"Well - if it falls on a weekend we usually do a picnic!"

LMAO

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Jack

Bokashi is also very big in Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, India and several countries in Europe.

It's also widelyl used in Asia because running rice hulls through the bokashi process speeds up the its composting by several weeks if not months.

HTH

CC

bullsaidart

GroKashi miracle mulch, it is a true bokashi and also a dry product. Check it out it, is incredible and everyone who has tried it is blown away in Mendocino. Grokashi 707 972-2408 FREE EDDY LEPP !!!!

surfer rosa

High peeps!

Well my bokashi has gone all moldy in quite large patches... sucks!!

I have left it for quite a while and maybe too long? Anyhoos gonna try and salvage what i can and chuck the rest on the compost heap.

What went wrong with urs confused?

:smoweed:
Keep in mind that bokashi is supposed to be anaerobic fermentation, so you should keep air out if possible. This also means any bubbled tea you made isn't the best in a bokashi bucket. Just keep adding food in thin layers with crumpled newspaper in between, add generous amounts of bokashi (or your own lactobacillius, although EM is more than just that), and pack it in pretty tightly.