What's new

Blynx's 1 sqft CFL cab & other CFL micro cabs

maree

When growing micro, I do prefer more branchy strains that produce buds with little fan leaves. This allows me to pack more buds into an area because I can almost tie the plant into knots to either make a nice canopy or fill in an area.

I guess you've led by example and those would be the various strains you've run and shown in this thread then. Thanks man, useful advice.

maree

Haven't run T8s. I've only seen the LED version at Costco in 4ft lengths. Do they have smaller lengths of them now at the retail stores?

Not sure of the availability here - or there with you - in general purpose shops as strip lights tend to be more popular in commercial applications. Haven't seen them anywhere local to me, only online. Perhaps Chevy cHaze would know having taken the plunge.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Chevy - A press release from Phillips in 2013 announces that they've surpassed 200 lumens per watt with this kind of lamp;

https://www.philips.com/a-w/about/n...ilips-breaks-200-lumens-per-watt-barrier.html

Maybe that's what you can expect with the cover removed?

Do you use a driver with yours or run it directly from mains?

Those Bridgelux strips from a couple posts earlier look nice !
WTF 200 lumens per watt ??
Mine are 2ft (60cm) and just fit my space. They're absolutely no name though, it only says "T8 LED tube" on the box hahaha.
They have everything on board, so directly to mains, no external driver necessary.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure of the availability here - or there with you - in general purpose shops as strip lights tend to be more popular in commercial applications. Haven't seen them anywhere local to me, only online. Perhaps Chevy cHaze would know having taken the plunge.

I got mine from ebay, they start at 2ft/ 60cm with 9w, 4000k.
9w sounds pretty weak, but without the plastic cover- like the bulbs, this thing is pretty bright

Seshwan

Yes I have put plants in at an angle in my micro grows. It helps spread the growth out and then up, instead of going straight up and leaving a lot of open space in the cab. It really depends on how large/tall the plant is that I'm putting in the cab.

Such a simple thing that I never even thought of doing, genius!

I am actually in the process of building a PC case myself, I think I will probably make a journal when it is ready. Hoping to have it ready to go in a month..

I am struggling to find a strain to start with if you have any suggestions? I plan to LST/Scrog to maximize yield. Your scrog case is truly inspirational.

It will be my first grow so have been told I need something easy but I tend to get so deep into projects that I really think I can make anything work that anyone else has done before.. My favorite strain is Jack Herer but have been told by a friend that grows that it will be too hard to grow that in a PC case due to it originally being a sativa although the seeds I have found are 50/50. What are your thoughts on that if you have any at all?

Seshwan

Thanks for the replies Blynx - yes, Phillips make the T8s in several lengths though, as far as I can see the UO (ultra output) types with CoB type lumens per watt only come in 4 or 5 foot sizes. The cheaper HO (high output) type, claiming 125 lumens per watt, start at 2ft. Like your early bulb measurements though, that figure may be increased by removal of the semi-translucent tube which we now know can be done thanks to Chevy cHaze :)) cheers!)

Some of the family will operate from both existing ballasts and mains electricity so may make a good option for anyone using T8s when it comes time to replace them. Though it may work out cheaper to buy Bridgelux EB strips like these;

https://www.digikey.co.uk/products/...hting-cobs-engines-modules/111?k=bridgelux EB

Depends on driver choice I guess, though they don't need a heat sink, a major expense and hassle when dealing with CoBs, from what I've read on here. They do, however, come in sizes starting at just less than a foot and offer 150+ lumens per watt driven at the test current. The smallest ones putting out 1230 lumens total. Perhaps if under-driven the efficiency may increase but would leave you needing more strips. Swings and roundabouts.

LED bulbs do seem to be more expensive here than there with you so may be worth considering for that reason.

Not sure how many you'd have to pack into your box to get light equivalent to what you have now - nor if you can beat the sheer, wonderful simplicity of it!

Of course, even the smallest Phillips tube would be too long for your micro.

I am building my own light for my PC case using these -

https://www.digikey.co.uk/product-detail/en/bridgelux/BXEB-L0280Z-35E1000-C-A3/976-1493-ND/6236279

running 5 of them at 350mA(50%) will give just over 6000 lumens in my 1 sq ft space

guy on prev page has a fire hazard with tieripping sockets to wood, thats gonna fail and fall apart!

t8 leds are overpriced, online better, chinese ebays almost for free
can run <1foot t5 tubes (bathroom/underlighting) use by hooking them up to a cfl driver (i can get dozens of 8watt drivers from the recycle station and hook them up to 8 watt tubes

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
The sockets are rubbery and will be fine. Plus leds don't produce enough heat to ignite wood. And if it's good enough for Blynx...it's good enough for me.
Cheers for the vote of confidence.

I'd love to see your led bulb grow m8. Care to share a link?

NoTell

Hey Gantz,

I think HuffnPufferfish isn't referring to the wiring but to the way you attached the sockets with the cable ties (is that the right term?).

In my little experience the plastic of the ties does get sort of stiff if exposed to heat for a longer time and then can indeed break, which potentially could lead to a socket falling down, wires getting ripped out of the connectors etc.

If I were you I'd screw the sockets on to the wood, just for added safety and peace of mind. Not trying to be a dick, just a matter of better safe than sorry.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
General-purpose nylon has a working temperature range of 40°F to 185°F. The temperature that is suitable for most continuous applications maxes out at 150°F. General-purpose nylon meets UL 94V – 2 flammability ratings.

I doubt my bulbs will get past 70-80F.

I think the cable ties are a bit odd but I didn't have the tools at the time so I used what I had on hand.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The sockets are rubbery and will be fine. Plus leds don't produce enough heat to ignite wood. And if it's good enough for Blynx...it's good enough for me.
Cheers for the vote of confidence.

I'd love to see your led bulb grow m8. Care to share a link?

General-purpose nylon has a working temperature range of 40°F to 185°F. The temperature that is suitable for most continuous applications maxes out at 150°F. General-purpose nylon meets UL 94V – 2 flammability ratings.

I doubt my bulbs will get past 70-80F.

I think the cable ties are a bit odd but I didn't have the tools at the time so I used what I had on hand.

I was going to ask why you used the zip ties but I figured it was because you used what you had on hand.

The only worry I would have is the zip ties dry rotting (becoming very brittle), but this will take years if it happens at all.

If it does become brittle, I don't think the lights will start dropping. I think it would take a bump to break the tie for it to fall down.

Looking forward to seeing your cab up and running.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Going to do another C99 x Shire round in the LED cab.

Here she is before transplanting.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Here she is after transplanting

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here she is in her new home.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Day 00 Veg

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Seshwan

Such a simple thing that I never even thought of doing, genius!

I am actually in the process of building a PC case myself, I think I will probably make a journal when it is ready. Hoping to have it ready to go in a month..

I am struggling to find a strain to start with if you have any suggestions? I plan to LST/Scrog to maximize yield. Your scrog case is truly inspirational.

It will be my first grow so have been told I need something easy but I tend to get so deep into projects that I really think I can make anything work that anyone else has done before.. My favorite strain is Jack Herer but have been told by a friend that grows that it will be too hard to grow that in a PC case due to it originally being a sativa although the seeds I have found are 50/50. What are your thoughts on that if you have any at all?

Hey Blynx, just incase you missed this the other day. I am interested in your thoughts if you don't mind!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Blynx, just incase you missed this the other day. I am interested in your thoughts if you don't mind!

I would pick any strain, heck even bag seed, and jump in with both feet and start growing!

Really tho, any Indica, Indica/Sativa cross will work. I wouldn't go for a full Sativa strain for your first run in a pc case.

Seshwan

I would pick any strain, heck even bag seed, and jump in with both feet and start growing!

Really tho, any Indica, Indica/Sativa cross will work. I wouldn't go for a full Sativa strain for your first run in a pc case.

Great thanks man.

The Jack Herer seeds I have found on Sensi Seeds are 50/50 so I could do that... might be better to go with more indica dominant strain first then try some Jack 2nd time around..

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the LED cab after a week of veg.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Day 07 Veg

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

She's starting to grow up a little more than I'd like at this point, so it's time to tie her down a bit.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here she is after some training.

C99 x Shire (SSSDH)

Day 07 Veg

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

Seshwan

Nice training on her!

Would there be anything wrong with when transplanting putting the rootball/soil right up against one side of new rectangular pot so you could just do as you have done now and train from one side all the way to the other? Beats training from the middle to either side I would think?

I can see its kinda what you have done but just not transplanted right into one side of the new pot

Latest posts

Latest posts