What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blunts

FrenchySeed

Hello,

When I was younger, I had the opportunity to taste blunts made with real tobacco leaves (flavoured with cognac). Unfortunately, I've never been able to find these leaves, and I find commercial blunt leaves too flavoured, even the neutral ones... I've already tried to make blunts with cigars, and it's always been a disaster... (now I know it's because I didn't rehumidify the tobacco before working on it).

Anyway, I've been making my own tobacco with whole leaves for a while now, and this idea came back to me when I saw the texture of the leaves, which are rather supple when they're at the right hygrometry. Why not try making blunts with real tobacco leaves again? So I did a bit of research to find out how to go about it... It's not as fast to roll as a joint, that's for sure, but it smokes differently too.

Equipment:

- tobacco leaf (easy to find on the Internet)
- water to rehumidify the tobacco (if possible, a vaporizer)
- a pair of scissors
- egg white/cigar glue/saliva
- the garnish!

By the way, there are many varieties of tobacco, the most common for blunts would be dark tobacco, but why not try other varieties? They all have different flavors.

You can also wash the tobacco leaves by boiling them to remove the nicotine (the recovered broth is a very good insecticide, because of the nicotine).

If it's too dry, it'll break easily, but if it's too damp, it'll become too soft, but you just have to wait a little for it to dry (and it can go fast).

So now for the practical part, take a fairly large sheet of tobacco, with no holes if possible (it still works if there are tiny holes or cracks), the best is to cut between two veins,

DSC00005.thumb.JPG.514b54f9574b5aa500999be9e2061eaf.jpg

Then cut a small rectangle.
DSC00006.thumb.JPG.3a8e2399525e8e1fc6a5243eb9b26a29.jpg

Now you have your tobacco leaf, but wrinkled from drying and storage.
DSC00007.thumb.JPG.b438f6c229c6ce6b8b04d002607c7ee0.jpg

Take out your iron, not too hard, moisten the sheet (as the iron will dry it quickly) and iron away.
DSC00010.thumb.JPG.ce473f911f5a2f20a92a87defd95e2e1.jpg

You'll find that you need to find the right level of humidity to make it easy to roll, without being too soft.

You can also stretch your sheet by hand (after ironing) to remove the last folds, and recut your sheet to make it more rectangular, easier to roll.

As for the filter, you can use whatever you like. Personally, I like activated charcoal filters.
DSC00014.thumb.JPG.16244d9f1fe998c7ce9b8f35615188b8.jpg

All that's left to do is roll your blunt, taking your time, squeezing the material, the filter, shaping and stretching the sheet little by little. Once you've almost rolled it all up, apply a little egg white as glue - a little goes a long way, but not too much either... cigar glue can also be good, while others glue only with saliva - I've tried it, it works, but it's more fragile. Then finish rolling your blunt.

Now, it's a good idea to let the blunt dry, as this will allow it to stiffen, if possible by squeezing it a little, in a sheet of newspaper for example. (This will prevent it from coming unstuck as it dries).
DSC00018.thumb.JPG.736fed06a0bddba2caf89ca150b9d8a8.jpg

Your blunt is ready. Enjoy your blunt.
DSC00019.thumb.JPG.8616a5490c5cd70f534d5f454c02bccc.jpg

For purists, I think that like a cigar, or like tobacco without conservative, you need the right hygrometry for a blunt to be pleasant to smoke, and to reveal maximum flavor.

I'm also thinking that making blunts with freshly-cured herb, curing and maturing them directly in the blunt, can surely produce some nice flavorful things...

This is going to end up in a blunt cellar. 😂

And a little feedback.
There are sausages that can be used to sweeten tobacco. It's simply a "sauce" that's sprayed on the tobacco, or in which the tobacco is left to soak.

On the other hand, from what I've understood, tobacco is softened with the sausage, but to do that you add things, so it tends to make it more harmful... from what I've understood, a "fatter" tobacco because of the sausage would produce more tar.

I haven't found any recipes for curing tobacco, but I've read a few times that honey sweetens the taste of tobacco.

So I did a test on two leaves (already cut), which I let soak in 100ml of water for 10g of honey (0.1 quart of water, 0.3 once of honey). One soaked for a day, the second for a day and a half, until a bit of mildew appeared on one end of the leaf in contact with the air... so I'll have to do it again, but rather in the fridge, or with the leaves completely immersed, or for a shorter time... on the other hand, the second leaf became almost transparent when it was damp, and remained very supple when dry.

And so the result... it worked very well! The 1st leaf had a much less pronounced taste, while the second, which was left for a day and a half, tasted almost nothing like dark tobacco, with a slight aftertaste that became a little more intense as it burned, but very mild.

On the other hand, the two leaves didn't taste of honey at all. In my memory, the Royal blunt leaves had a slightly sweet taste...

I'd have to try boiling or leathering the leaves in a sauce to see if it gives a little more honey taste... I've also seen that there's a variety of tobacco called Burley honey, a rather woody brown tobacco, like cigars, but with a little touch of honey in the taste... to be tested...

I apologize for any mistakes. I'm French, and my translator sometimes makes mistakes.

and if there's any French, the link to my original post (in French) on Cannaweed.

Peace.

Last edited:

Dirt Life

Veteran
Ha! I'm blown away! This is truly connoisseur quality blunt smoking.. nice! I haven't smoked a blunt, except for the rare blue moon, since I was in my early 20's. And as you said, most wraps and even convince store packaged cigars are too flavored.. artificial. I truly don't know if I'll ever do this for a blunt, but, this is pretty awesome, and inspires me to do so.. good shit, Frenchy!

FrenchySeed

Hi @Dirt Life, thank's!

I like experiment, and good flavour, but not artificial one, finaly it whas logical i try that. (and i feel it's a little bit healthy than store one, particularly if you remove nicotine)

I'v also try a small blunt with blond tabaco, it's good, but it smell like cigaret, I prefer brown tobaco, more like cigar.

Peace

FrenchySeed

Hi @GenghisKush !

I discovered this "cob cured" technique this weekend, it's not really talked about on (well, the) French forums.

I find this technique very interesting and I really want to test it on my next crop, but it's true that on a blunt directly, it can be very interesting! I can see that you like good things, just like me.

So Hai

Nice thread, I know there are some companies selling what they call cannagar molds. I also miss the old cognac and honey dipped wraps so might just have to try this out myself.

Dirt Life

Veteran
Over the years, I thought of getting a nice Dominican cigar, maybe a Cohiba or something along those lines, and using for a blunt wrap.. this thread makes me want to try. Can't see wasting an actual Cuban on a blunt, but a Dominican for sure...

A cob cured blunt, or a blunt that's cured with the cannabis in it, I would LOVE to see... hope that happens in this thread!

*wink*

😉

FrenchySeed

Hi @So Hai ,

I've also see these cannagar molds, I made one with a piece of wood drilled with a large drill bit, then cut in half (because cannagar is sold out in France). But if I understand correctly, these molds is made to compress weed, and then you put a leaf around it, like "thai stick".
thai-stick-unrolled_600x600.jpg
I also thought of it to compress the blunt (like cigar), but it's not very practical, because you'd have to roll the blunt to the right width of the mold.

@Dirt Life, I'll think about how to make a "coblunt", but the vacuum passage may compress the blunt too much for be smokable... unless you add some stick, like on thai sticks, which you remove to smoke... let's try! 😁

So Hai

Just found this video, curious to see how he works with the leaf.

If pressing it in a mold with skewer and then wrapping it in a leaf before sealing in vacuum should work. Am no expert on cobbing but should try and hand roll a fat cigar one like that. Would be interesting to try different cognac, brandy and similar type dips.

FrenchySeed

@So Hai ,
That's the next level blunt 😂 I've watched a lot of this kind of video, but for the moment it's still too complicated for me. And it must be a bit different with weed instead of tobacco leaves inside... maybe you have to freeze the weed before working it. Besides, for cannagar it seems to me that you have to put them in a freezer before rolling them.

I'm going to have to try this cognac and brandy stuff, it's all so tempting!

In any case if you roll a cigar or a blunt like that, I'd like to see!

Hi @jokerman ,
I've been registered for a while, but I've only been back here for a short time, so I don't know everyone yet. I'll have to see if she has any good tips on this side. I haven't read everything on icmag yet, maybe there are other threads about this.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Boveda said that the American Consumer Standard for cannabis is 55%-65% which is why they sell a 58% for flower that breaks up easily, and a 62% for flower that is spongy.

Love the blunt style. could you use a cannabis leaf to wrap it up? I saw it in a joint rolling guide once. Would work the same as the tobacco leaf. Its an artform I'm sure. Need a big indica leaf I guess. Not sure how it would smoke compared to cured tobacco.

Last edited:

FrenchySeed

Hi @pipeline ,

thank you for this information!

As for cannabis leaves, I've put a few to dry under books to try it out, we all have the same ideas 😄. But for the moment I don't really like their smell, I prefer a good smell of brown tobacco.
On the other hand, the texture has good moisture looks good for rolling. But i think the combustion must be different with a cannabis leaf... and i think that gluing must be more complicated.

I don't know if i said it in my first post, but arabic gum is great for gluing blunt. You can also transfer the glue from a rolling sheet.

So Hai

@FrenchySeed I think you could mix sugar water or honey water to use as glue. Maybe as an alternative a cold water wash could be used for canna leaves if one prefer them before tobacco, otherwise boiling the leaf to pull the nicotine is a great suggestion.

I think that using scewers is necessary for air flow when working with molds because of how compact the material become. But surely it is not necessary with regular blunts and wraps, perhaps how corse one would grind the material play a role.

As for freezing material I think it should be avoided unless you are looking to roll the thing in kief before wrapping. Nice input about the different type bovedas @pipeline I know that for cigars the target rh is a bit higher, at 70%.

FrenchySeed

@So Hai i would try the honey water next time! And wash canna leaves is great idea, i also read, like weed, dried canna leaf need to be cured to have good taste... i will wait to see...
If you remove the nicotine from the leaves by boiling them, be careful if you do it with lot of leaf, the concentrated broth can contain lot of nicotine i think. and 1g of nicotine is lethal... on the other hand, it's a great insecticide for the garden.

For the molds, you're right, you need to use a stick, I tried without, it was too compact and unsmokable. But i talk about stick in blunt if you made a cob cured blunt, if i understand, compression of the weed is a important think in cob cured...

And for the freezing, i note, but roll in kief is a great idea too 😂

For ce cigars, you'v got different bovedas at 65/69/72/75% for different situation

And great video! but i dont think i can smoke that 😄