What's new

Blumats? Lets Do This.....

Mister_D

Veteran
Krunch - Did you get straight barbs from kent systems vs. the tees? Kind of hard to tell for sure in the pic.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
Krunch,

for what its worth.

When I 1st started using blumats I was using those lowes strong boxes as my res placed on top of some plastic sawhorses. Now this was before I was using anything other then the stock 8mm line but I'd run into pressure issues as that yellow top box got low.

Might not be an issue as your running some larger line, but keep an eye on em as that res depletes. I can easily see some plants drinking on that heavily leading to the blumats needing re-dialed/soaked. You might want to go higher up or go 2 res route..the larger res on the floor pumped to small res on a high shelf.

just my 2c

i'd have to agree with FF's advice.

the biggest trigger for run aways and malfunctions is allowing a lot of fluctuation in your res level.

remember gravity based water pressure is measured from the surface level to the exit point. even a 6" fluctuation in your res might give you problems.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Krunch - Are you get straight barbs from kent systems vs. the tees? Kind of hard to tell for sure in the pic.

The straight barbs, my fingers still hurt from only doing 25...

the biggest trigger for run aways and malfunctions is allowing a lot of fluctuation in your res level.

remember gravity based water pressure is measured from the surface level to the exit point. even a 6" fluctuation in your res might give you problems.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=24234&pictureid=713887&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I researched this a lot and talked to several people for a long time, they probably think im psycho or something for asking SO many questions...

I came to the conclusion that a larger main line (1/2"), clears many problems with air getting into the system. AND having a loop configuration will also keep even pressure...

I may have NOT done it right. I know there is a learning curve, and I will master it...

The system has not been up for 24 hours yet, im still thinking on improvements to do, Such as hooking up fresh water from my RO to a float valve, to ALWAYS have the res topped off....

Whats the worst that can happen? Plants CAN'T eat me!

krunchbubble

Veteran

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=24234&pictureid=713887&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

ALSO, Heady Blunts, your one of the people i got most my info from, i may not of PM you, but i read EVERYTHING you had to say about the system...

Your design with the res on res was one of three designs I was contemplating on using. It just came out that a looped system would be the better choice FOR ME, as the res on res way, i just couldn't see how to build it properly. Plus a pump running 24/7 in a res i dont like at all.....

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
gee thanks krunch!

well with my micro set up i can get away with some stuff i wouldn't do in a larger system.

for your size situation and larger i'd definitely stick with the loop set up like you've done. i'd probably go for a pressure reducer on a hose spigot rather than a res, but then again i use fully amended soil. since i don't run nutes i can get away with no shut off valve at the end of the feed line (or middle of the loop) since i don't really ever need to flush them.

you can figure out how fast your girls drink 6" of water in your res and set your pump to come on at that interval, thereby keeping your water level fluctuation to a reasonable minimum.

in either case, res or pressure reducer, if i were growing on your scale indoors i would definitely think about rigging some kind of flood sensor/emergency shut off valve for peace of mind, although those trays look like they'll hold a decent amount, and there's always the wet/dry vac :D

PS- that flexilla hose looks great, both aesthetically and functionally.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
lookin good KB..ill be lurkin...thinking bout this route for my new set up

whats your nutes like?...EC wise? what coco?

krunchbubble

Veteran
lookin good KB..ill be lurkin...thinking bout this route for my new set up

whats your nutes like?...EC wise? what coco?

Running H@G at there recommended strength...

Canna coco @ Sanctuaries Hydro Mix BIG CITY....

Just got the BIG CITY, I like the way the bag looks, represents the BAY AREA. Will be putting a couple GSC Mom's in that mix.....

wisco61

Its gonna be a little tricky to dial them in with the plants all being in a big tray. Individual saucers, even inside the tray, will make it a lot easier to pick out the trouble maker if you get a little flood going.

I also have to agree with the others that a 2 part res is far superior. Even a pump that ran 1 minute an hour would go a long ways towards preventing problems. Plus you can use a huge res on the floor so refills are seldom.

loyalty7

Krunch i'm curious about that big city mix. I recently seen it in stores in cali, want to know if its something i should stock at my shop

Mister_D

Veteran
The straight barbs, my fingers still hurt from only doing 25...

Shit i've got 64 to push in, in the next few weeks :moon:

Curious what you've read that led you to believe there is less air problems with 1/2" line vs 1/4"? I was thinking of going to 1/2" just because I wasn't sure if 1/4" could feed 64 plants gravity fed. (I emailed the blumat peeps and they said up to 250 plants on 60m of line) If there is another benefit to larger line i'd love to hear why :thank you:

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Siphon upwards? Lemme know when you figure that out ;)

I use a sump pump attached to a garden hose (controlled by a remote outlet key fob @harborfreight) to pump my water to my upper barrels. I've taped the garden hose around a structure in a hook shape so that I can just hook onto my barrel and pump away. One of those giant plastic candy canes would work great for this.

As for the tees.

Fellas fellas..save your thumbs. They are called pliers. :)
image_14889.jpg

krunchbubble

Veteran
Shit i've got 64 to push in, in the next few weeks :moon:

Curious what you've read that led you to believe there is less air problems with 1/2" line vs 1/4"? I was thinking of going to 1/2" just because I wasn't sure if 1/4" could feed 64 plants gravity fed. (I emailed the blumat peeps and they said up to 250 plants on 60m of line) If there is another benefit to larger line i'd love to hear why :thank you:

my guess is a more even pressure distribution throughout the line

I read the WHOLE fucking Blumat thread and somewhere in there, someone did a test with clear hose, 1/4" vs 1/2" i believe, for trapped air. The 1/2" did WAY better.....

Read some other stuff, but have no clue where, i just remember when designing what i was going to do, to use 1/2"....

Having NO problems yet, just dialing them in a bit. Figuring they are dripping 1 drip per 10 seconds. May NOT be ideal, just started fucking with it...

Desert Hydro

Veteran
hell yeah! glad to see you made the switch. youre gonna love em once you get em dialed in. mine are rockin it right now

Mister_D

Veteran
Thanks krunch, 1/2" it is then. Read the blumat thread awhile back, been going through it again recently. Havn't gotten to the hose test yet I guess, but ill take your word it's in there :good:

Siphon upwards? Lemme know when you figure that out ;)

Well maybe not exactly siphon but without using electricity... a 1 1/4" ram pump can pump water up 39ft at a rate of 2ltr/min with a 7ft fall. So to scale it down you could say a 1ft drop would get you about 5.5ft up. I imagine you could integrate a ram pump into the rez design heady blunts posted...

EDIT: This guy uses a 1 inch ram pump off of a 55gal barrel. Doesn't have any info on flow rate but says he gets 50ft up with a 7ft head on his setup. Ram Pump

Last edited: