What's new

Blues Music!

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
well, the four girls I have in flower right now sure don't have the BLUES.... The weather is getting colder now. The height has stopped but they are still gaining mass. No color change yet but that's ok none of my stuff is ever for sale. I've been on a John Lee Hooker and friends kick. So many great songs on one cd. Same overall quality as Dark Side Of the Moon. In my opinion. I love it !!!

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
THC Angel, Valerie June is great !!! I could only watch one song it kept going to video error. Would love to see her in a live show. Thanks for the link. Peace

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didn't even know this thread existed, damn man, I love the pure blues and/or the "blues infused." I don't think there is any other musical form that so completely expresses what it is to be human.

I don't go to many shows anymore (blues music/bands used to be way more prevalent), but if I do go out to see a band it is definitely going to be something with blues in it. This past summer I went to all 4 days of the Portland Blues Fest, was fantastic.

I saw Buddy Guy once, back in the 80's I think, he was headlining a blues festival at SPAC in upstate NY. Unfortunately, he was playing last, and I got so fucked up that I don't remember that part of the night (backstory...SPAC had a no alcohol rule, so I had this great idea to sneak some vodka into the show by taking a razor blade and carefully slicing the bottom of a paper orange juice container off, dumping the oj, filling it back up with vodka, and then reattaching the bottom using super glue. It worked...tested after 30 minutes...so we packed it into our cooler and left for the show. Took a couple hours to get there and into the grounds. When we unpacked the cooler, turns out the seal with the super glue had started leaking, so we ended up pouring the vodka into a new container. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure some of the super glue got mixed into the vodka, because I got a drunk on like I'd never had before, I got all super gluey drunk.)

I've had some memorable blues experiences with blues legends, but the best one for me happened back in 1995...I was going to school for commercial photography in Seattle, and one of our instructors made an arrangement with the Bumbershoot music festival to allow our class to photograph performers at that 4 day show. Being a big blues fan, I looked for shows with blues musicians. I found one guy I'd never heard of, John Dee Holeman, and decided to shoot his show. I had to get permission from the stage manager where he was performing (Bumbershoot has 20 or 25 different stages), and when I talked to the mngr, he said it was OK for me take photos, and then he said, "Hey, ya know, John Dee is staying at this motel out of town and he doesn't have any way yet to get here...would you mind going out and picking him up? Ughhhhhhhhhh....You Bet! So I ended up spending about 25 minutes with John Dee in my passenger seat! He wasn't a real chatty guy, I don't remember at all what our small conversation was, but he had some CD's with him and asked if I wanted to buy one. Of course I said yes, but I didn't have ANY money with me, so he said I could send the cash to him. That was a great experience.

John Dee is about as classic a blues man as you'll find, one of the real old timers. He didn't start making money with his music until shortly before I met him and he was in his 60's then. He made his living driving bull dozers in Durham, North Carolina where he lived.

Here's a clip of him, pardon the crappy audio, I had to turn all my volumes full blast:

[YOUTUBEIF]UUsvYasnj1Q[/YOUTUBEIF]

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Welcome to the forum Wiggs Dannyboy ! Great to see some more Blues fans out there Boogie Chillen.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Blues is my music.
Have seen Ray Charles many times, B.B. King several times, along with Eric Clapton, Johnny Winter, Buddy Guy, Dave Hole (Australian bluesman), along with many others. Some of my favorites now to listen to are Johnny Lang, Clapton, the late Stevie Ray, Dave Hole, Alvin Lee (Going Home), and many others. Have a DVD of Stevie Ray that is incredible. Part of it was from Austin City Limits, and the other part was from some other venue. Most impeccable playing i have ever seen. He was playing behind his back, Jimi Hendrix style, and every which way, and the camera was focused close up on his fingers, and he didn't miss a single note. Also have a tremendous collection of the history of the blues from a radio show that was on weekly many years ago. All recorded on cassettes which were encoded in DBX, which at the time was the highest quality sound you could get. This was before CDs. I still have my DBX decoder, but my Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck, best ever made, has something wrong with it, and I can't find anyone to repair it. It is something simple...could be a single capacitor or transistor, but no one around here wants to touch it. I will look online.....have hundreds of old blues recordings on cassettes. Shame to let them go to waste.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have a DVD of Stevie Ray that is incredible. Part of it was from Austin City Limits, and the other part was from some other venue.

Stevie was something else, man. Still remember exactly the moment I heard about his death. :badday:

Is this the DVD/venue you were talking about?

picture.php

RetroGrow

Veteran
Stevie was something else, man. Still remember exactly the moment I heard about his death. :badday:

Is this the DVD/venue you were talking about?

View Image

I think that's it. I didn't buy it, but downloaded it somewhere, so don't have the cover. I watch it once a year or so. Some of the best playing you will ever hear, and the best ever filmed, as far as the close up shots of his fingering. Interestingly, Stevie was influenced by Wes Montgomery, the great jazz guitarist, who lived right down the street from me when I was a kid. Wes Montgomery had a unique style which Stevie emulated. Stevie pays tribute to Wes in a song entitled, "We All Remember Wes". If you get a chance to listen to Wes, he was a master. His album, "A Day In The Life", was a tribute to the Beatles, and was recorded in 1968, right before he died. It is a masterpiece. Sad and ironic that both of them died young, when they were on top of their respective worlds, and it also illustrates the crossover between Jazz & Blues, the only two indigenous American art forms, aside from Indian art. Jazz & Blues both began in the U.S.A. If you listen to Wes, you will hear where Stevie got his chords and style from.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The El Mocambo is in Canada somewhere. I think its a pretty famous rock n roll venue, its very small, but I believe the Rolling Stones opened one of their tours there.

In this video, Stevie is completely on fire, as you describe. He works up a dripping sweat real fast, like 15 minutes into it he's soaked. Ahhhh...gonna have to put that on tonight I do believe.

RetroGrow

Veteran
The El Mocambo is in Canada somewhere. I think its a pretty famous rock n roll venue, its very small, but I believe the Rolling Stones opened one of their tours there.

In this video, Stevie is completely on fire, as you describe. He works up a dripping sweat real fast, like 15 minutes into it he's soaked. Ahhhh...gonna have to put that on tonight I do believe.

I just checked, and the one I am talking about is an Epic Music Video, Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble Live In Austin Texas. I believe it's him at the height of his powers. He does a lot of behind the back stuff, and every note is perfect. You can probably find it online, as that's where I got it. Great camera work, as the videographer focuses on his hands quite a bit.
From IMDB.com:
Stevie Ray Vaughan performs live with his trio Double Trouble on the show "Austin City Limits." "Live From Austin, Texas" chronicles two separate shows of "Austin City Limits," one from 1983 and one from 1989. The show includes such Vaughan classics as "Pride and Joy," "Texas Flood," "The House Is Rockin'," and "Crossfire."
It's available @ Amazon.
Here's the second half from 1989 on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9dQYa7_fZM
Even one of the guys who played with him commented that this was his best work. I especially liked "Voodoo Chile". This was only the second half of the DVD though.
If you search, you can find the torrent.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mmmmmmm...sitting home bored on a Friday night catchin a little buzz....think I'm going to post a few bluesy videos for your consideration.

I love slide guitar, acoustic and electric. For your consideration, some Roy Rogers playing slide on a dobro I believe. Oh yea.................

CRANK IT UPPPPP!! Really does make it much better..

[youtubeif]NW08Rc802MQ[/youtubeif]

Last edited:

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stevie Ray Vaughan, live at the El Mocambo, 1983, doing a great rendition of Hendrix's Voodoo Chile. RIP Stevie....rock in perpetuity.

[YOUTUBEIF]ffcQwYGk3Kg[/YOUTUBEIF]

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some classic Hot Tuna for ya, called Hesitation Blues. That would be Jack Cassidy on Bass and Jorma Kaukonen on the guitar.

[YOUTUBEIF]kT196UksWxc[/YOUTUBEIF]

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some guy playing some 12 string acoustic blues....he plays the git upside down!

[youtubeif]IPtv14q9ZDg[/youtubeif]

Last edited:

RetroGrow

Veteran
Some classic Hot Tuna for ya, called Hesitation Blues. That would be Jack Cassidy on Bass and Jorma Kaukonen on the guitar.

[YOUTUBEIF]kT196UksWxc[/YOUTUBEIF]

Have seen Hot Tuna (spinoff from Jefferson Airplane), and Jimi Hendrix live. Jimi was the most creative rock guitarist ever, even at a very young age. Imagine how he would have developed had he lived on. Hesitation Blues is one of my old favorites.

Last edited:

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran

I was a big Hot Tuna fan. I loved their parsed down sound with only three or four musicians. There were actually spaces of silence in between some musical notes! Quite a contrast with the unrelenting wall of sound that emanated from Starship.

Latest posts

Latest posts