What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BlueDigiBerry F2

John Deere

Veteran
Thanks, VG. I'm guessing minimum 10 weeks based on what I'm seeing now but I'll just watch and see. The satori I just chopped was at 14 weeks and could have gone a week, probably 2, longer but I wanted to get the bdb in to see what they'll do. And nope, they're not going to run out of nutes in the pot. In fact I topdressed with some compost tonight because I thought it was looking too empty, especially around the edges. :watchplant:

I get hit with a huge wave of fruity sweet aromas when I open the cab. They all smell similar but slightly different and I can't really rank them. Tonight #2 was my favorite. She seemed the fullest with something extra that gave the sweet a bit of clarity. #1 is sweet, flowery, fruity sweet. Did I say sweet? She's sweet. #3 seems fruitier, still very sweet, maybe a bit of creamy something that smooths it out. It's tough to really describe any of them accurately at this point but that's what I'll go with tonight. Come back tomorrow and I'll probably say something different.

Thanks, g0v! I'm hoping/expecting some pretty big growth, too. The new bulb I'm using is noticeably brighter than my old one. I probably should have replaced it awhile ago. It'll be fun to watch where they go from here.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love the smell that first hits your nose upon walking into (opening up) the flower room - so many aromatics!!!

dank.Frank

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
12 beans went into a wet paper towel this morning!
I almost don't even want to mention it until they're well on there way. Starting seeds is my weakest area of growing. Once they get going I'm fine, but I manage to kill more than I should before they break ground. I'll put up a pic once they get going.
I'm excited! This is my first time to start a whole pack at once. I usually do 2 or 3 at a time, and then turn them into mothers.

John Deere

Veteran
Why paper towels and not straight into your soil? Paper towels aren't exactly a natural environment and it only adds potential to damage delicate tap roots when you plant them. Just curious as I see lots of mj growers using paper towels and such.

Looking forward to your pix. I'm super busy right now but will take more soon.

Best of luck with the grow. I'm very happy so far. The smells are incredible. Can't wait to try the smoke.

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
I've had the most luck with paper towels. I leave them just till I see a little tap sticking out. When I go straight to soil,I always feel like it's too wet, or not wet enough. Then if they don't break the surface within a week they get soft and rot.
Part of the problem it's that I grow in a hydro setup, and straight soil doesn't transfer to hydro very well.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think most people use paper towels because it is on average 3-5 days faster than planting directly into soil - I know that is my personal reason for doing so. I can also check to see how many have actually germinated without having to worry if I'm just being impatient, etc.

I agree it isn't "natural" but then again, neither is "planting" a seed if we want to be absurdly technical. I mean, we could just drop it on the soil surface, put some leaves and random debris over it loosely, water and cross our fingers that sometime before spring... hehehe ;)

But I've honestly lost more seed by planting directly into soil than I ever have using the paper towel method - not sure why or how, but that has been my personal experience. It could simply be I'm used to seeing a sprout above soil 24-48 hours after germinating with a paper towel - vs the 7-10 days it may take for a seed to germinate / peak above the soil when planting directly in the medium - in other words, maybe I'm just too impatient??

You are correct though John - you can damage the fine feeder hairs that first appear on a root when using a paper towel or even break the tap root entirely - so you certainly have to be very careful!

dank.Frank

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
That's exactly how I feel about it Frank. After 3 days in the soil,I start thinking they're too wet, or not enough. Then I start thinking maybe I should dig them up and check them out, but I don't want to do that either. The paper towel eliminates as lot of the uncertainty.
And I know most of you guys are all about the all organic soil, which I think is great. I just am way more comfortable with hydro. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but for me hydro takes most of the guess work out of growing, and I get to just sit back and watch the plant do its thing. (...And I'm a little lazy!)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool stuff guys, yeah i'm a seed in the soil guy myself... but i think its usually best to stick to what works best for you.

for the big pics, i open the pic in my gallery in a separate tab and then copy the image link into the post.

the smells you describe sound very promising JD. i trust you are keeping a good look out for any male flowers? hopefully wont be a problem but always a distinct possibility in blueberry type lines....

VG

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran
There's a command in the html that makes the pic a thumbnail so I just click the insert image button and then delete the html &thumb=1

ttps://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47836&pictureid=1150581'][/url]https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47836&pictureid=1150581[B][COLOR="Red"]&thumb=1[/COLOR][/B]
[url='https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47836&pictureid=1150581'][img]https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47836&pictureid=1150581[/url]

-cheers

Gil Tokerson

Veteran
My last 2 cracked, and went into their new home. So that makes 12/12. Good work VG! From here on if they die its on me.

John Deere

Veteran
There's a command in the html that makes the pic a thumbnail so I just click the insert image button and then delete the html &thumb=1

Or...

When you hit the 'Insert Image(s)' button just change the drop-down menu at the top to whatever view you want--thumb, original, link...there's a few to choose from.

Latest posts

Latest posts