What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blazeoneup hits the dirt again.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
How much light are you expecting to use on those ladies? Looks clean and simple, that's the way I like it. It can't be any easier - that's why I like soil so much. Also, it's so cheap to set up. Can't wait to see how they do. I'll be watching, and good luck!

TGT

N

Neptune

Looks like you have a handle on things Blaze, I recomend Kelp and Alf-Alfa meal for future soil amendments in addition to your blood/bone! :p Can't say enough good things about the both of them.. really nice strains you got :)

JJDubz

Hey Blaze!

Sure am Glad I stumbled in here this morning...

Im gonna steal Sacko's laz y boy and call squatters and imprint my ass on this soft chair and watch the show!

Looks great so far bud

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
gauismarius

I actually dont ph the water at all, I check the ph every 2 weeks by testing run off, If I ever notice the ph getting to high or low then I will ph the water up or down to bring it back on track. So far its been good with plain ro water and tap. I guess if your using tap water and its really bad with high ph that would be needed but the lime added to this mix really seems to keep the ph in check through out the grow.

This mix really does work well with plain water. Here is how the babies are doing at day 8 from transplanting. Im also going to post a picture of them on day one of the transplant to the bags.

Here they are at day 1 in the bags.

Here they are at day 8 in the bags.

G

Guest 18340

Shit on me, glad i found this thread. Any room on the front seat? Ok, ill settle for back seat driver :sasmokin:

G

I thought those 3-5 gallon containers look a tad wrinkled lol,boy can I be a goof lol!I like to see different growstyles and the accompanying results.I have only one concern about this partcular growstyle and that is utilization of available soil.I noticed you planted rather small vegging plants directly into those large containers.I'm sure you've done this a trillion times and the results have been great.hey,as long as the roots have room to grow all is well and those look like quite large bags.These are my only concerns using this growstyle.First,the obvious waste of media.At harvest I bet you'll find 50% of the soil in the middle cantains no roots.Then there is watering amount/frequency.How do you determine how much and when to water with such small plants in large containers?Normally I thoroughly saturate the soil and let the roots suck the media 90% before rehydrating.This obviously can be done with small plants in big growbags or containers.I'm sure you have it all figured out though,I've checked out your results before.Some people dont have the time or inclination for two or three transplants per cycle,I fully understand and respect that.I'd like to hear from you about watering schedules,saturation/dehydration determinations and such.For example,the roots from those small vegging plants are now growing along and down the sides of the growbag leaving unued soil in the center.The media along the edges are being sucked dry by the root system,but the media in the center has nothing to dehydrate it.This may result in a plant starving for hydration but when you lift the bag,its heavy as can be.The soil in the center will only dehydrate through evaporation while the "rooted soil" along the edges of the container will dehydrate from the growing root system.I've also noticed the "swirling" effect when a plant is given too large a starter home.Besides growing along the sides and sometimes out of the drainholes,they will "swirl" in a clockwise directiongrowing bigger and thicker eventually pushing the media at the bottom of the container upwards.Now when you water thoroughly until runoff,you have a 1/2 inch swirling circle of rooys in no media literally drowning when saturated!I've experienced all these things and have decided starting small and successive transplanting to be ideal for me.I'm curious as to how you deal with these issues,you obviously do it successfully

G

Test.It appears I just wasted 20 minutes of my time...EDIT..That funkin figures..

fuzygrowth

my guess is he deals with these issues by letting the plants grow big phat colas and chopping them down after 8-9 weeks, just a guess though. Blaze, as usual , you pull through with a sweet setup, plain water huh? can't get much simpler then that. i'll tell you right now though, you can just cut a hole in a bottle of GH and stick one of those chronics in, they love their nutes. lol. you know i'll be keepin on eye on this one. thanks for sharing your grow :)

S

seaofvert

hi blaze,
i m concerned about your watering schedule;when and how much?
the water cannot evacuate at all but sucked by the roots .Is that correct?
if it is the case don t you notice a lack of oxigen ?

all the best
sea

LIl Dope Feind

Whats up man? still growing the good bud i see. i take a hyaidis for a while, got clean for 2 years and now im debating or not to start again. how it been going with ya? do you know what happened to TF1? if any of the mebers are still lurking around here?
heres a few i remeber very well

TheNakedFArmer
Cap't Sneak (Sneak a toke)
Robbybob
Direwulf
yourself of course
memory is pretty shotty

well, looks like ur comin along nice there. K+

LDF

Last edited:

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
soilman said:
I thought those 3-5 gallon containers look a tad wrinkled lol,boy can I be a goof lol!I like to see different growstyles and the accompanying results.I have only one concern about this partcular growstyle and that is utilization of available soil.I noticed you planted rather small vegging plants directly into those large containers.I'm sure you've done this a trillion times and the results have been great.hey,as long as the roots have room to grow all is well and those look like quite large bags.These are my only concerns using this growstyle.First,the obvious waste of media.At harvest I bet you'll find 50% of the soil in the middle cantains no roots.Then there is watering amount/frequency.How do you determine how much and when to water with such small plants in large containers?Normally I thoroughly saturate the soil and let the roots suck the media 90% before rehydrating.This obviously can be done with small plants in big growbags or containers.I'm sure you have it all figured out though,I've checked out your results before.Some people dont have the time or inclination for two or three transplants per cycle,I fully understand and respect that.I'd like to hear from you about watering schedules,saturation/dehydration determinations and such.For example,the roots from those small vegging plants are now growing along and down the sides of the growbag leaving unued soil in the center.The media along the edges are being sucked dry by the root system,but the media in the center has nothing to dehydrate it.This may result in a plant starving for hydration but when you lift the bag,its heavy as can be.The soil in the center will only dehydrate through evaporation while the "rooted soil" along the edges of the container will dehydrate from the growing root system.I've also noticed the "swirling" effect when a plant is given too large a starter home.Besides growing along the sides and sometimes out of the drainholes,they will "swirl" in a clockwise directiongrowing bigger and thicker eventually pushing the media at the bottom of the container upwards.Now when you water thoroughly until runoff,you have a 1/2 inch swirling circle of rooys in no media literally drowning when saturated!I've experienced all these things and have decided starting small and successive transplanting to be ideal for me.I'm curious as to how you deal with these issues,you obviously do it successfully

I think your litte confused, Your assuming to much based on what you have experienced,You are Implying things must be accuring in my grow cause they did yours. Im sure you have your expience with growing and ect, However you dont seem to realize that these plants are small yes but they have become root bound before going into the bags, Its not the same as planting fresh rooted clones into a large pot. And when I bust the root mass apart and spread them out over the soil, And then cover them with 3" of soil they spread throughout the media in every direction. The main problem is making sure you dont overgrow them, To where they end up root bound come flower time. Other then that the issue's your reffering to I have yet to see. I think if you see that type of problem then your actual media may play a good roll in the developement of your root systems. Perhaps you need to try another media. Sounds to me like your media is to heavy and hard forcing the roots to choose the path of least resistance which in this case would be down the sides of the media inbetween the walls of the bags and the media.

When it comes to watering, I add plenty of chunky perlite to my mix, And the mix will never get muddy, Your media should dry out pretty fairly with no plants in it, If your media without a plant in it takes weeks or months to fully evaporate then your media is worthless imho. An ideal media will be able to evaporate in a timely fashion with the naturally accuring evaporation proccess. I just do not see any of them problems your speaking of using this mix. I will illustrate by busting open a few of the bags and cutting the media open and show just how well the roots penetrate the media and how well they utilize size of the container.

None the less I water based on the plants and the wieght of the containers. I let it dry out as much as possible while keeping a close eye on the plants. If I see they are thirsty then I will water before the media properly dries out which I never seem to have to.I water until I get a slight run off not much just enough to insure the media is fully saturated.

Last edited: