What's new

Blah's First Ppk

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Another PPK question for any seasoned PPK people; With a pulse feed every 1.5hrs for 30 seconds, is the end result of the 30second feed suppose to be flooded on top? If so should I back off with the bucket site ball valve for that bucket to deliver less in that bucket?

what medium are you using? in coco water will pool on top a little. but should still go right through in few seconds. i have never experienced pooling in turface or perlite.

Mr Blah

what medium are you using? in coco water will pool on top a little. but should still go right through in few seconds. i have never experienced pooling in turface or perlite.
I am using 50/50 turface/perlite.
Some of them are pooling the perlite at the top of the bucket. I turn those ball valves to allow less feed. I have done the perlite only in the (1.5") tailpipe with an 1" or so of perlite on top of the tailpipe in the bottom of the bucket. And I also put a screen (same as the one I use to cover bottom of tailpipe with) on top of that pile of perlite. Than plant the plant in a 50/50 mix.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hiya Mr. B - Have you measured how much feed volume you are delivering during each feed event?

Sounds to me like you may not be doing a pulse feed but rather a full flood but not sure since 30 seconds could equal 1 quart (Yeah! ~1 quart this seems to be a good rule of thumb amount) or it could be 10 gallons (over exaggeration)

If you can, put a bucket or tub under one of your feed lines, maintaining roughly identical height so there is no difference in feed line pressures from how it behaves on the plant, and collect your feed for a single site/plant, then measure it back out and see how much you are feeding.

I have a over sized pump so i can only run it for between 13-15 or 16 seconds depending on how many sites are online etc... my system will put out from 1 to 1.2ish quarts per feed event.

I try to distribute the feed event evenly over the media with the halo within a halo approach. I've been playing with some other ideas in my head for a while for an even greater "even distribution". I'm still mulling things over a while tho before i attempt any changes to see if my delivery can be improved and what the effect of a super even distribution would be. got several ideas i'm been mulling over but not seeing a big reason yet to play around 'cause of some other things i need to attend to first which are higher priority for my room.

gmanwho

Veteran
hiya Mr. B - Have you measured how much feed volume you are delivering during each feed event?

Sounds to me like you may not be doing a pulse feed but rather a full flood but not sure since 30 seconds could equal 1 quart (Yeah! ~1 quart this seems to be a good rule of thumb amount) or it could be 10 gallons (over exaggeration)

If you can, put a bucket or tub under one of your feed lines, maintaining roughly identical height so there is no difference in feed line pressures from how it behaves on the plant, and collect your feed for a single site/plant, then measure it back out and see how much you are feeding.

I have a over sized pump so i can only run it for between 13-15 or 16 seconds depending on how many sites are online etc... my system will put out from 1 to 1.2ish quarts per feed event.

I try to distribute the feed event evenly over the media with the halo within a halo approach. I've been playing with some other ideas in my head for a while for an even greater "even distribution". I'm still mulling things over a while tho before i attempt any changes to see if my delivery can be improved and what the effect of a super even distribution would be. got several ideas i'm been mulling over but not seeing a big reason yet to play around 'cause of some other things i need to attend to first which are higher priority for my room.

over the past 2months, been learning the same thing on less feed more often. seems to be a positive direction to feed with a quart or so every 1.5-2 hrs. some plants have taken quite well. i had certain plants that hated these systems, till the change in watering sched..

bsafe

Mr Blah

Thanks McKush. I got to see if I am over feeding some.
Each one is on a ball valve (important thing to put on, for newbe's) and I notice that some can take it and other can't....reminds me of some girls I use to date.:laughing:
I have some empty sites in veg to test easily.

You got to write those ideas down Mckush....I constantly think of better ways to improve. I found if I don't write or tell someone about them I forget. I have had some good ones but can't remember them. :biggrin:
I feel that you distribute your feed very effectively with your double halo ring.

Last edited:

Mr Blah

Just did the test on vegging site. Full open valve with hydro ring it equaled 1 quart.
Some are half on and others are wide open.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Thanks McKush. I got to see if I am over feeding some.
Each one is on a ball valve (important thing to put on, for newbe's) and I notice that some can take it and other can't....reminds me of some girls I use to date.:laughing:
I have some empty sites in veg to test easily.

You got to right those ideas down Mckush....I constantly think of better ways to improve. I found if I don't right or tell someone about them I forget. I have had some good ones but can't remember them. :biggrin:
I feel that you distribute your feed very effectively with your double halo ring.

join the club stoner.:biggrin:

Mr Blah

It has been a couple of weeks wince the first 4 went into flower. (I know I got to throw pics up) For the most part they are doing great....except one. It died...cause root rot. I think the 4 months of vegging did it along with ripping a lot of roots out the bottom.

Not use to this system....I am use to changing out the water/system every week. I am loving it.
-Less water
-No chiller
-No constant water/air pumps going

Moving to build the next room today. Going to do it a little different; GOing to run a 3/4" rubber hose to each site from the control bucket. Due to being a whole lot cheaper it is leak proof from what I am seeing. Going to jam the rubber hose into control bucket and each bucket site.

I am wondering if I can just run a hose bucket to bucket, till I get to the control bucket and just make one hole instead of four.

Mr Blah

Finally got some pictures. 2 weeks in and could only take a couple pictures...small room makes it hard to get a group shot.

Now that I look at these, it does not show justice. Plus it is sideways. Got to go back in and defoliate a little. I wanted to wait till 3 week stretch is over than rape them again. But at least the screen is pretty filled up because I vegged them for so long.

Attachments

• IMG_4013.jpg
    IMG_4013.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4014.jpg
    IMG_4014.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 13

Mr Blah

Got a bit of a delema, Like the first system I built (vegging) the cereal box in the control bucket is having a hard time evening out the system. The float valve will top off the cereal container but that is as far as it goes. The vegging container one fixed itself and I don't know how...it just did.
I have a 1/16" hole on the bottom. Should I make it larger just in case something is plugging it? I do clear it everyday I go check on the girls.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Got a bit of a delema, Like the first system I built (vegging) the cereal box in the control bucket is having a hard time evening out the system. The float valve will top off the cereal container but that is as far as it goes. The vegging container one fixed itself and I don't know how...it just did.
I have a 1/16" hole on the bottom. Should I make it larger just in case something is plugging it? I do clear it everyday I go check on the girls.

go to 3/32" first and see if that works. but it sounds like something is not right. can you get a picture? how much water does the reservoir hold at the proper working depth? how many plants sites are you feeding with it? how big are the plants? i put the float valve right at the top of the cereal box and then mount the box to the reservoir so that the center of the float valve mounting hole is 2" above my intended average operating depth. i also put the small hole in the bottom of the cereal box slightly up the sidewall about 3/8"-1/2" so that pieces of crap don't plug it.

Mr Blah

go to 3/32" first and see if that works. but it sounds like something is not right. can you get a picture? how much water does the reservoir hold at the proper working depth? how many plants sites are you feeding with it? how big are the plants? i put the float valve right at the top of the cereal box and then mount the box to the reservoir so that the center of the float valve mounting hole is 2" above my intended average operating depth. i also put the small hole in the bottom of the cereal box slightly up the sidewall about 3/8"-1/2" so that pieces of crap don't plug it.

I am feeding 4 plants in 3.5gal buckets on top of 3.5gal buckets with a 2" PVC pipe going around the perimeter of the tent, kind of like the vegging tent.
Plants are very mature plants since they vegged for 4 months filling a screen 30"x45" on day 1 of the flip.
The only thing I did not do exactly what you did was the hole linking the cereal bucket water and control tote water. Mine is on the bottom of the cereal bucket and I left it 1/16" for now.

I checked it this morning when I took some pictures seen above. When I checked it last night I filled the control bucket by unplugging the float valve and letting it just flow in from the top off rez. Something I feel I had to be close by and not forget I was doing it....Down stairs I have done this and forgot it....coming back to a flooded garage. :wallbash:
Anyhow...I checked this morning and it seem to be OK. Mysteriously being at a balance of the same on both the inside of the cereal box and control bucket....like it is suppose to be.
I will confirm this later when checking in.

Attachments

• IMG_4016.jpg
    IMG_4016.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4015.jpg
    IMG_4015.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 15

Mr Blah

For the people flowering on a 2 dimensional screen pr/plant, when do you rape the tree again for fans? Do you continually do it through out the flowering time or just after the stretch 21 days (strain dependent)?
I noticed that this Blueberry Headband is stacking nicely at the top and the bottom. But there are a lot of big fans growing in again where they were once removed. Should I go a head and take them again to expose the bud sites again?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=383844&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=383843&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

I am feeding 4 plants in 3.5gal buckets on top of 3.5gal buckets with a 2" PVC pipe going around the perimeter of the tent, kind of like the vegging tent.
Plants are very mature plants since they vegged for 4 months filling a screen 30"x45" on day 1 of the flip.
The only thing I did not do exactly what you did was the hole linking the cereal bucket water and control tote water. Mine is on the bottom of the cereal bucket and I left it 1/16" for now.

I checked it this morning when I took some pictures seen above. When I checked it last night I filled the control bucket by unplugging the float valve and letting it just flow in from the top off rez. Something I feel I had to be close by and not forget I was doing it....Down stairs I have done this and forgot it....coming back to a flooded garage. :wallbash:
Anyhow...I checked this morning and it seem to be OK. Mysteriously being at a balance of the same on both the inside of the cereal box and control bucket....like it is suppose to be.
I will confirm this later when checking in.

that doesn't look like much of a difference. i thought you were talking about an inch or two. what's that, a quarter inch?

during lights on once steady state photosynthesis is reached, about 30-45 minutes usually, it is usual for there to be a small difference in levels. your plants are pulling water like mad plus evaporation.

in some of my systems i have seen the difference steadily increase during lights on due to the inability of the hole in the cereal box to keep up. this won't hurt anything and it will catch up as soon as the lights go off.

i would drill it out to 3/32" and see if that doesn't keep up to demand. that's still a very small hole.

Mr Blah

Thanks D9, There was a 2"gap prior to me unplugging the float valve and letting it flow in. I should of taken the picture before I did that. But just like the vegging issue, It some how solved it's self. It is now leveling out by itself.
Although my next build I am putting the hole on the side of the cereal box vs the bottom.
How much of an air gap should I have using the 1.5" tailpipe?

Globule

For the people flowering on a 2 dimensional screen pr/plant, when do you rape the tree again for fans? Do you continually do it through out the flowering time or just after the stretch 21 days (strain dependent)?
I noticed that this Blueberry Headband is stacking nicely at the top and the bottom. But there are a lot of big fans growing in again where they were once removed. Should I go a head and take them again to expose the bud sites again?

Hey there Mr. B!

I'm not an expert on defoliation at all but I have been removing anything up to and including the 3rd node of each branch off the main steam.

I would gradually trim back those nodes during first 2 or 3 weeks of 12/12 (i.e. during stretch). Not doing it in big busts, but gradually so as to not stress the plant too much and cause it to stall during a phase in its growth when it is important for it to grow lots of healthy roots.

I would only remove fan-leaves after stretch had stopped if they were blocking budsites from light or leaning against other leaves/buds and creating mould-inducing moisture pockets.

If you continue to defoliate, maybe less is more until you are happy that your plants are powering ahead and can handle it.

Keep it up broseph!

Mr Blah

You can see what looks to be some milky white shit floating around in the container. I vacuumed it out.
Also you can see the 12" hole at the center top sucking out and exchanging the air a few times a min. The fan is a 12" 1056cfm on 24/7. THe tent is 275cubic ft. The room where the tents are is a constant 65F. Not to worried about lights out humidity due to the massive air exchange from the surrounding room.

Attachments

• IMG_4024.jpg
    IMG_4024.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4019.jpg
    IMG_4019.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4021.jpg
    IMG_4021.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4017.jpg
    IMG_4017.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4020.jpg
    IMG_4020.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 13

Mr Blah

Good point Snook.
Thanks for stopping in.

I got to crank up the other rooms for heat and set the heat pump for a higher temp.

I am going to set it for 70-75 tomorrow.