What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Black Light's" Have You Tried Them?

Ghostwolf

Pirate & Cherokee Warrior for Freedom and Cannabis
Veteran
If I had a penny for every person that toked up garbage and though it was good...... :dance013:

Seriously though.. :D I don't' doubt you can grow with them.... nor that the smoke would be terrible or anything.... But as previously mentioned, it's far from optimal so... why bother? :D

There are much better bulbs you can stick in the same socket that your plants will appreciate the light from.

Stay Safe! :tree:
Thanks for your reply Hydro:tiphat:. Let me explain. the source of my information is my girlfriend of five years and I've never known her to lie or aggregate. And was telling me about her experience with her old growing source of some 25 to 30 years ago. I believe her when she said she smoked what he grew and that was good and has seen his cab with the black light coming from the cracks in it. Now the places where this falls apart is in that the source his self, 1. Was he telling her the truth? 2. How was he using was the BL's? And 3. Was he fooling himself into thinking that BL was really what made his product good? Now a few facts to throw in, my GF was in a very bad car crash some years ago and her memory is fragmented, so she is unable to give me very many details such as the questions above that I asked her about. If anything I think this guy was using some kind of grow lights during the day cycle and probably using the BL's during the night cycle possibly thinking he could still give the plants blue and red light and still have a night time for them. Then thinking he'd grown with black light. I hope he was smarter than that. But I don't really know. All of the experiments that I've researched showed time again and again that the plants that were grown under BL's were small short and did very little growing and had to be put right up to the lights. And I believe the findings showing that black lights are quite inadequate for growing with. Now knowing that, this guy is either a dumb ass and told her what he thought was true. Or he was an asshole and lied to about how it was grown and she being a very good judge of cannabis, and not knowledgeable about the growing of cannabis was led to believe what she was told. Which now brings us back to the reason for the thread and hopefully what other persons experiences if any were with BL. And maybe find out what better way to provide the thing that the "Black Light Legend" promises but cannot give, the desired "UVB Light". So to that end I decided to do the experiment myself to settle an age old conflict. I combined Soft White CFL's with BL CFL's and the out come wasn't surprising, the grow cycle of the plants was not effected by the BL's. I've since removed the BL's in added a Full Spectrum natural light CFL to the grow which the plants seem to like. But to be honest I have say that the results are inconclusive since I've only tried the experiment once and in that way. But what I think is different. From all that I've found and seen and heard the answer is no, you can't grow anything worth growing under Black Light. And that brings us to where we are at the moment the Actinic lights for fish tanks, that does produce UVB. And my other question " Can low intensity Reptile UVB CFL bulb be used in a micro grow? And if so how small of a grow could it be used in? Thanks again for your interest in the subject enough to tell me your thoughts. Keep on Tokin. "Go in a good way friend"

Mooseonmeds

remember what we are trying to achieve with our indoor growing. We want to replicate as close to as possible the conditions of the great outdoors. There happens to be uvaand uvb lightas well as visible and infrared outside. Incandescent flourescent and hid all do their part to make up most of that spectrum. Why neglect the part of the light spectrum that most lighting systems leave out. Especially when the research available suggests the uvb is what gives our beloved erbs their greatest potency. Will ghostwolfs reptile uvb cfls work for his application? I don't know, I have no experience with his parameters. Will it hurt to try? Maybe maybe not. In my experience reptile cfls also give off a large quantity of infrared ( also known as heat) in his enclosure it may be too much. I have no knowledge of the level of his ventilation. The intenity may also be on the low side. But will they give off a quantity of "supplemental" uvb? Of course if that's what they are designed to do then they will. (hope that helps GW) my experience with the actinic uvb bulbs tells me they do make a marked difference so I will never not use them. Especially since the tempered glass enclosing my CMH Blocks out all UV. If I could offer one caution totry to stay away from the uva, it is shown to be damaging to our plant life as well as ourselves, so there is a fine line to maintain of what is beneficial and what isn't. We need to find that balance and maintain it in our growrooms.

Ghostwolf

Veteran
remember what we are trying to achieve with our indoor growing. We want to replicate as close to as possible the conditions of the great outdoors. There happens to be uva and uvb light as well as visible and infrared outside. Incandescent fluorescent and hid all do their part to make up most of that spectrum. Why neglect the part of the light spectrum that most lighting systems leave out. Especially when the research available suggests the uvb is what gives our beloved erbs their greatest potency. Will ghostwolfs reptile uvb cfls work for his application? I don't know, I have no experience with his parameters. Will it hurt to try? Maybe maybe not. In my experience reptile cfls also give off a large quantity of infrared ( also known as heat) in his enclosure it may be too much. I have no knowledge of the level of his ventilation. The intensity may also be on the low side. But will they give off a quantity of "supplemental" uvb? Of course if that's what they are designed to do then they will. (hope that helps GW) my experience with the actinic uvb bulbs tells me they do make a marked difference so I will never not use them. Especially since the tempered glass enclosing my CMH Blocks out all UV. If I could offer one caution to try to stay away from the uva, it is shown to be damaging to our plant life as well as ourselves, so there is a fine line to maintain of what is beneficial and what isn't. We need to find that balance and maintain it in our growrooms.
Good answer Mooseonmeds. As I found BL's are UVA but since they are low intensity they have no effect on the plants. While I'm sure there are different bulbs that are harmful to the them. I don't know what to look out for? I'm pretty much leaning towards the reptile bulb being to hot for a micro grow. But I know of others that use them in larger grows that are well vented and have good grows. As you've said the actinic lights work for you, and I'm curious about them. I'm sure they can be found at fish and pet stores. But would you know if they can be found at Home Depot?:)

Mooseonmeds

No, you won't find them at home depot. Another option that i've seen while searching around are the bulbs in bug lights. I have noticed they are mainly uvb, although low intensity. At my local chepo depo they are not available separately, but you can buy the whole bug light, haha. You may be able to locate them at a lighting supply co or an industrial supply co (like Grainger). Or look online. I have found an excellent candidate online, but they are from an online distributer in england (lol) and isn't their electrical different there. I'm not sure if they would work here. But the bug lights would be an option due to their size and spectrum.

Ghostwolf

Veteran
That's good to know thanks. I've wondered about those also. I do know that bug light replacements are at Walmart so they must have the whole light too I think. Anyway I know Home Depot has bug lights for a OK price though. I'm going to see if I can find actinic's around here some where.

The higher uv levels are at higher altitudes. You don't find much cannabis growing at a mile high or more, even in regions where these more tolerant varieties do grow.

actually, i was in china recently (yunnan) and the herb many people smoke there grows wild on the mountainsides, at an elevation of over 2200 meters.

I tried some that was immature, and improperly cured(moldy) and it got me very high, in an interesting way. i hadnt smoked in a while, so that probably made it more effective, but again this wasnt even properly done.

i do see what you're saying about the plants being acclimatized to their conditions, and taking a low elevation plant and cranking up the uvb to replicate high altitude might not necissarily increase psychoactivity.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Does no one have exprience trying to grow with Black Light's, anyone? :dunno:

its called a search button.

ive posted this topic time and time again.....

you want the UV-B lizardlight. the desert model to be exact.
23443100_1396.JPG

23443100_1512.JPG

23443100_1511.JPG

Ghostwolf

Veteran
I'm decided to end this thread as the BL issue is now moot and I've got some good info on UVB growing. And DigitalHippy thank for the photos friend, and just so you'll know my subject, black lights in the search button turned up very little info. But I'm glad you took the time to post here. And thanks to all you who have posted here as well. But since the subject has shifted solely to UVB. Still I want the discussion to continue in a new thread. "UVB and THC" Thank once again everyone and "Go in a good way"

most weed out there is largely the same, crap. some people feel better buying indoor crap thats on par with outdoor shwagg but much more expensive. the high u got smoking the outdoorin chiina way up high was from being up high and having differnat blood pressure from the thin air, quickly high, quickly back to sober, it does seem that cfl buds or floros in general make plants ooze much more resin then hps bulbs, i think everybody already knows that though.

Ghostwolf

Veteran
This Thread is Closed and the discusstion is continued in the "UVB and THC" thread. Thank you.