What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Black Afghan Landrace

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just purchased two packs of this strain from a private breeder. I was told some phenotypes will be green and the rest will be black. Does anyone have experience growing this strain or something like it? Btw it's not the Afghan Kush x Black Domina that also goes by the same name.

Pictures and description from breeder:

"This cultivar dates back decades. A pure BLACK AFGHAN landrace strain direct from Afghanistan.

I acquired this cultivar from a grower in Afghanistan. The strain starts out green with a strong phenol aroma. As time goes on the fan leaves start to turn black then the rest of the plant follows. As the color change starts to happen the aroma starts to morph. After about week 5-6 of flowering the plant starts to take on a burnt rubber dead animal smell. It gets stronger as the flower time goes no. I feel this is a 10-11 week finish.

Now one has to remember that these are authentic landraces. People from that part of the world open pollinate and look for leafy plants with lots of trichomes because they are making hash. The buds/flowers are way more leafy than North American stains. You'll even find hermies due to how they grow their plants . Stability within a strain is not really possible due to how they breed and grow so you will find a variety of pheno expressions within these seeds."

Attachments

• 20230307_153057.jpg
    20230307_153057.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 300
  • black1_(2).jpg
    black1_(2).jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 355
  • Black_(2).jpg
    Black_(2).jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 274
  • black1_(1).jpg
    black1_(1).jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 251

therevverend

Veteran
Seems to be the real deal. Looks like the stuff from southeast Afghanistan that's been making the rounds lately. Kandahar Black. Here's a look at one I grew last summer, similar genetics. This one's from Shajoy village in Zabul Province, off the main road from Kandahar to Kabul.

View media item 18708181
View media item 18705421
View media item 18707657
You can see it's a bit leafy since it's bred for hashish making not ganja bud. It's not tested but the effects are great, comparable to the California hybrid stuff everyone is used to smoking in the west. The Afghans don't have skunks, they're a North American animal, so they don't understand what 'roadkill skunk' is. They think it's describing the smell of rotting meat of a dead animal on the road so those are the terms they use for a skunky smell.

Mine isn't super skunky, it's very complex. All the Kandahar black stuff has a basic seeded purple grape nutty smell. Kind of like eating seeded concord grapes. It can be stronger or weaker, it's stronger in this one. There's also lots of spice and incense to it, super aromatic. There was a green morph of the Shahjoy that had more of a rotten sock smell, wasn't as good or vigorous of a plant.

p59teitel

Had three plants with varying degrees of purple this past outdoor season. First up was this Sholgar that would have been 7-8 feet but for my screwing up and topping it. Seed was from Baaba Qo Selections. Plant had mostly green leaves with some purple fade but substantial purple accents in the flowers; smell was burnt rubber and effects are potent leaning toward a calming and introspective buzz with good pain-killing effects -

489AB7A9-BAAE-44DA-A4E4-0EFE1557FDE3.jpeg

This 8 foot Waziri Repro had green leaves with slight purple accents in the flowers and a garlicky scent; this was from two South Waziristan, Pakistan parents from The Real Seed Co. I grew in 2020. The 2020 mother was stretchy with a loose spiral flower structure with excellent mold resistance. Smoke is medium potency with excellent task-motivating qualities; makes for fine daytime use and smokes smoothly as flower once the bracts cure into a golden color -

39A4D890-40E5-447C-BE99-A54CB029C8D4.jpeg

And there was this Rustam Kush from Aybak, Afghanistan via Baaba Qo that turned purple and then almost black. It was a 10 foot late bloomer and I lost a fair amount to rot. Smells like a household cleaner with floral accents. A bit of a potent buzz for this lightweight smoker -

3665E5A9-FB7B-4778-B762-76B93B759DB0.jpeg

Last edited:

p59teitel

Took both Sholgar girls down October 22nd. The purple one was somewhat susceptible to botrytis so that was a consideration, but they both were pretty close to done anyway. The Rustam Kush came down between November 9th and the 11th.

therevverend

Veteran
Thanks. I had a Sholgar male but I killed it by accident. It had a wonderful dried orange peel smell. The Sholgar is cutting it close but it should finish in time. Good to know they aren't extremely susceptible to mold. I have some Khash seeds as well, really want to check those out because I don't think I've seen any grows of it.

p59teitel

I haven’t heard of anyone growing Khash either. I still have Baaba Qo’s Rabat, Mazar-I-Sharif and Tashqurgan to go. Will definitely run the Rabat and likely the Mazar this year, along with TRSC Dakshinkali and a player or two to be named later.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wonder if these are the same as my Black Afghani seeds from USC. I have not grown this line yet.

p59teitel

Couldn’t get any of 10 Rabat seeds to survive germination so they are out. Have 4 Mazar-i-Sharif (Baaba Qo) and 4 Panjshir, 4 Rasoli and 3 Dakshinkali (TRSC) going now. Hoping to get in the ground mid May but it’s been a cool spring so we will see.

3 of the Mazari were started April 1 and look healthy -

IMG_5476.jpeg

3 of the Panjshir were started around April 11 and also seem happy, some very fat leaves on these -

IMG_5478.jpeg

Chuck Jägerschnitzel

The Afghans don't have skunks, they're a North American animal, so they don't understand what 'roadkill skunk' is. They think it's describing the smell of rotting meat of a dead animal on the road so those are the terms they use for a skunky smell.

Someone should send some skunks to the Kabul zoo, they'd be a popular exhibit. Javalina would be another good choice, probably a good fit for the Afghan climate too.

UFO

Beautiful plant. Any chance you can help me get some seeds? I’m looking to grow and breed some afghan indica’s with Haze sativa’s

p59teitel

Afghans in the front (Panjshiri left and Mazari right). Himalayas in the back (Rasoli left and Dakshinkali right). Plants would like to escape their cups and expand their roots. Still getting nights in the 40s right through Friday so they’ll have to wait until next weekend. The cool spring has delayed things two weeks. Been putting them out on sunny days for some wind to toughen them up -
IMG_5635.jpeg

What PH level do Afghan plants usually like? Mine is between 6.5-7 right now.

Also would anyone be able to tell me why the colour is lighter? Is this because the ph is off?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17

acespicoli

Screenshot_20240402_213806_Files by Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240402_210451_Files by Google.jpg

Loving some dark blue green afghani pungent oily sticky great hand rub hash, did I mention purples ?
Mixed this with some LVPK dry sift 🤤 still looking for my black uzbek or kandahar...
Wish I had a darker male for these but gotta make due with what we have, actually a standout specimen
1713962133512.png

1mm sq graph paper
Found a fellow that kad Bodhi Black Kandahar (was semi sterile triploid) so it was outcrossed to another Kandahar line a little pricey what they want for those beans ,,, maybe another time. These did have some sativa structure flower foxtailing and beautiful color and nice smell and well you can see the resin for yourself ended up very dark for the hash

Last edited:
View attachment 18992633 View attachment 18992634
Loving some dark blue green afghani pungent oily sticky great hand rub hash, did I mention purples ?
Mixed this with some LVPK dry sift 🤤 still looking for my black uzbek or kandahar...
Wish I had a darker male for these but gotta make due with what we have, actually a standout specimen
View attachment 18992643
1mm sq graph paper
Found a fellow that kad Bodhi Black Kandahar (was semi sterile triploid) so it was outcrossed to another Kandahar line a little pricey what they want for those beans ,,, maybe another time. These did have some sativa structure flower foxtailing and beautiful color and nice smell and well you can see the resin for yourself ended up very dark for the hash
Is it potent