What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bitcoin Talk

EasyGoing

Moore's law tells how technology grows.

Bitcoin is technology

The upgrade you spoke of speaks to how bitcoin is really just tech, and as tech, it will be improved at an exponential rate.

So when people say bitcoin is too slow, I say give it time.

EasyGoing

Moore's law applies to transistors on a microchip. That's it.

And what do you think miners are being paid for?

When someone requests a transaction, it must first be processed by individual nodes. This network of nodes then validates by using algorithms. Once verified the transaction is combined with other transactions to create a block of data for the ledger. Then the new blockchain is added to existing blockchain in a way that can not be changed. Then the transaction is done.

Sounds like plenty of interactions with microchips along the way.......right?

i feel like those old guys who talk about how they had the chance to invest in the DOT COM era and missed out while people got filthy rich. Well thats how i feel knowing i lost wallet containing hundreds of coins back when they under .25 cents a coin i was gifted 300 coins and never thought much of them and lost the wallet. talk about feeling like an idiot.

Kankakee

SEC Launches Cryptocurrency Probe

The Securities and Exchange Commission has issued scores of subpoenas and information requests to technology companies and advisers involved in the red-hot market for digital tokens.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sec-launches-cryptocurrency-probe-1519856266

The Securities and Exchange Commission has issued scores of subpoenas and information requests to technology companies and advisers involved in the red-hot market for digital tokens, according to people familiar with the matter. The sweeping probe significantly ratchets up the regulatory pressure on the multibillion-dollar U.S. market for raising funds in cryptocurrencies. It follows a series of warning shots from the top U.S. securities regulator suggesting that many token sales, or initial coin offerings, may be violating securities laws. The ongoing wave of subpoenas includes demands for information about the structure for sales and pre-sales of the ICOs, which aren’t bound by the same rigorous rules that govern public offerings, according to the people familiar with the matter. Companies use coin offerings to raise money for everything from file-sharing technology to pet passports.

A spokesman for the SEC declined to comment.

Coin offerings, which raised $6.5 billion in 2017, have remained hot despite a crash in the price of bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. So far this year such offerings have raised more than $1.66 billion, according to research and data firm Token Report. U.S. regulators have repeatedly put crypto-companies and their advisers on notice in recent months about what officials say could be widespread violations of securities rules designed to protect investors.

Chappi

ICO’s are 99% pump n dump schemes and should be regulated like securities imo. A loy of people making filthy rich money from bullshit ico’s.

EasyGoing

Lol just breath man :biglaugh:

I think Moore’s law applies indirectly but since BTC is a protocol (think Ethernet) more than anything it’s not directly applicable but is interrelated at some level. I think that’s what brother easygoing was inplying.

Thanks. It's kind of the entire point of the block chain. Expanding processing power over the globe. :tiphat:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i feel like those old guys who talk about how they had the chance to invest in the DOT COM era and missed out while people got filthy rich. Well thats how i feel knowing i lost wallet containing hundreds of coins back when they under .25 cents a coin i was gifted 300 coins and never thought much of them and lost the wallet. talk about feeling like an idiot.

Damn! I missed out on buying NEO at a quarter and cried a bit. You have my sympathy. Keep looking for that wallet.:)

EasyGoing

Huge day yesterday for me. Tron and BTC broke. Huge news for Tron that came out. Tron is my biggest alt coin holding, and it just doubled in value. Do that 10 more times and I retire.

Last edited: