What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Biopiracy in the search for Landraces.<--on going discussion, please be civil in your choice of words and grammer.

Plookerkingjon

With recipes like apple crisp there's really no bad species of Apple even the sour ones!
Well unless you're an herbivore eating the ones that have fallen to the ground or full of worms

Old Piney

@led05 thanks for the link, i'll look into that. We've been using info from NDSU and their trials to choose fruits for our area, if we need to purchase. Good patches of chokecherries and juneberries on the property, with buffalo berries nearby.

I would love to play around with apple genetics, and develop something new for our area, but that's a young person thing...with apple trees. I would probably not live to see apple seedling mature and do selections. It would be nice to be able to grow from seed, without the grafting.

If i was young enough to do this, and someone stole all that work...i would not be happy.

(desperately trying to get back to the 'biopiracy' theme...)
So it might not take as long as you think .Luther Burbank was one of the most renowned plant breeders of all time .he breed hundreds of varieties of fruits and vegetables many still in use today .They include many plums and the Burbank russet potato aka the Idaho potato.he carried out his work in California and has a town named after him. So He had a genius tricks for breeding Plums that I'm sure could be applied to apples as well. He would germinate hundreds of plum pits. He then would graft just a bud (budding ) from them on mature Trees .By doing this he was able to produce a plum from them in only one or two years. I read a book about him when I was in grade school , his work is inspiring and much can be learned from it on plant breeding and selection.BTW he held many plant patents so here we are back to biopiracy

Last edited:

led05

Chasing The Present
I would love to play around with apple genetics, and develop something new for our area, but that's a young person thing...with apple trees. I would probably not live to see apple seedling mature and do selections.
The selection at Cummins is extensive is often why I share and they sell fair price & fair shipping….

PS: :)

25C87C25-B696-4377-A88B-023E125D71DB.jpeg

fArside617

Arjan is an example of greed within the industry. But you should also not underestimate what is in private hands.

Seriously with the preservation and breeding of pure varieties, even a few good old hybrid varieties and of course landraces are included, I started only after the death of my mentor.

The treasure he left me I slowly start to capture, varieties from the 1960s and 1970s, free from any modern influence and a few good old crosses from the beginnings of European cannabis breeding.

We have formed 2 years ago a group whose members come from several European countries, with the aim of preserving, breeding cannabis without commercial intentions. It could be described as an open source project, we neither trade seeds nor sell seeds from our projects.

The best way to preserve old genetics is to be active yourself, not buying multihybrids, autoflowering and feminized seeds. The industry serves what is demanded by the customer and morals, ethics we can not expect from the corner.

The selection at Cummins is extensive is often why I share and they sell fair price & fair shipping….

PS: :)

View attachment 18774846
Planted over 600'000 seedlings to date. some of my friends have hit well over a million by this point in their careers.
bless up the planter tribe. specially the north coast bears.