What's new

Biological Controls #8? Control Powdery Mildew

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Nice. The graph appears to show rapidly diminishing advantages to concentrations beyond 10%.

I think you may be reading the graph backwards. The objective is to have zero infected leaves, of the five experiments, milk concentrations between 0-10% showed the greatest number of "infected leaf area" (not the least). Four of the 5 experiments showed infection rates 10% or less with milk concentration of 20%.

Perhaps you meant to suggest the graph shows increasing advantages at concentrations beyond 10%....not diminishing.

Cheers!

May I suggest looking at the Zuch study I posted above...the rates they examined range from 5-50%. This graph probably says it all---

View Image

IMHO, Raw Milk is the best--and for foliar spraying I would use "skim" or "non-fat" variety. For soil/microbe feeding I found that higher fat variety...aka "whole raw milk" is better.

Cheers!

Nice chart.

I have read that study before, But I believe highly in "less is more"
when it comes to anything NATURAL.

I believe in the balance of the microbes both on leaves
and in soil.

There is JUST AS MANY on the leaves as there are in the soil,
im including fungus as well.

When I foliar spray i literally DRENCH my plants, so the
run off is via the DRIP TIPS of the plant, aka replicating RAIN
more or less....and the drip zone is the most active nutrient zone
of any plant.

YOu know though, after that study(i read one regarding Cucumbers
more so then zuchinis, but they are pretty much the same food for PM and other pests, so nough said lol) I was comfy with throwing in few more tablespoons to the gallon.

funny how so many people used to think spraying your plants with milk was CRAZY.... stubborn people i tell ya lol

Mind you I add the milk to a gallon of COMPOST TEA ;) ;)
that might have SOMETHING to do with why I have success
with such a low concentration

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Yep...less is always best for nutes/ferts! Farmers spray 2-5 gallons of Raw Milk per acre and get great results...in my world, my environment, my soil mix, my genetics--every 21 days, each plant (5 gal) receives 7.5ml of Raw Milk mixed with their "bacteria brew".

Lots of compost recipes include Raw Milk at the rate of 15-30ml/gallon.

BTW...almost forgot, if one uses Serenade...then try adding Raw Milk at the 25% rate; that god awful baby poo smell is almost eliminated. No shit! The two work great in flower-- to wash away any spray residue, just give the plant a gentle "autumn rain-like shower" before you harvest.

Cheers!

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Nice chart.

I have read that study before, But I believe highly in "less is more"
when it comes to anything NATURAL.

I believe in the balance of the microbes both on leaves
and in soil.

There is JUST AS MANY on the leaves as there are in the soil,
im including fungus as well.

When I foliar spray i literally DRENCH my plants, so the
run off is via the DRIP TIPS of the plant, aka replicating RAIN
more or less....and the drip zone is the most active nutrient zone
of any plant.

YOu know though, after that study(i read one regarding Cucumbers
more so then zuchinis, but they are pretty much the same food for PM and other pests, so nough said lol) I was comfy with throwing in few more tablespoons to the gallon.

funny how so many people used to think spraying your plants with milk was CRAZY.... stubborn people i tell ya lol

Mind you I add the milk to a gallon of COMPOST TEA ;) ;)
that might have SOMETHING to do with why I have success
with such a low concentration

I would be interested in seeing data showing that the microbial population on leaves is as dense as in the soil.

I'd also like to see data concerning the effects on microbial activity before and after adding milk to ACT. Is it added at the beginning of the brew or the end?

odkin

Just picked up on this thread today, and ironically came across a product earlier this morning that looked promising, called Regalia, from Marrone Bio Innovatios. OMRI listed-

Effective against a broad range of soilborne and foliar diseases…
REGALIA can be used alone, in rotation or in tank mix with most commercial fungicides to control a broad spectrum of bacterial and fungal diseases such as powdery mildew, downy mildew, Botrytis, bacterial spot and bacterial canker. What’s more, Regalia is effective against destructive soilborne pathogens including Pythium, Fusarium, Rhizoctonia and Phytopthora.

Complex mode of action enhances resistance management …
When treated with REGALIA, a plant’s defense system is ‘switched on’ to protect against attacking diseases. Research shows that plants treated with REGALIA produce, and accumulate, elevated levels of specialized proteins and other compounds known to inhibit fungal and bacterial diseases. REGALIA induces a plant to produce phytoalexins, cell strengtheners, antioxidants, phenolics, and PR proteins, which are all known inhibitors of plant pathogens.

In 2012, the Fungicide Resistance Action Committee’s (FRAC) created a new code, designated as P5, for REGALIA’s active ingredient, Reynoutria sachalinensis, which features a unique Induced Systemic Resistance (ISR) mode of action.

Unmatched application flexibility…
REGALIA offers one of the widest ranges of application flexibility among all currently available fungicides. The product can be applied at any time from planting until harvest and is rain fast within one hour. It can be applied by air, ground or chemigation. For ground applications, Regalia can be applied in-furrow, through drip irrigation, shanked-in and through drench applications.

REGALIA has a short 4-hour re-entry interval (REI) that allows farm operations to resume quickly. A zero day pre-harvest interval (PHI) allows greater operational flexibility and no residue issues at harvest.

Approved for organic production…
Organic growers also benefit from the same advantages REGALIA affords conventional growers. REGALIA is recognized as fully compliant for use on organic crops by the National Organic Program (NOP) and is listed by the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI).

Regalia is the answer to disease control …
As a stand-alone product or in combination with other fungicides, REGALIA enhances operational flexibility, ensuring reliable fungicidal activity for both conventional and organic growers.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I would be interested in seeing data showing that the microbial population on leaves is as dense as in the soil.

I'd also like to see data concerning the effects on microbial activity before and after adding milk to ACT. Is it added at the beginning of the brew or the end?

There is a compost tea study that I have in my library that compares compost teas with & without whey (not Raw Milk). As I read Table 3, "whey compost teas" have a significant increase in microbe populations. http://www.symbio.co.uk/files/Independant%20Research%20Papers/Control%20of%20Botrytis%20cinerea,%20Alternaria%20alternata%20and%20Pyrenochaeta%20lycopersici%20on%20Pane%20et%20al%202012.pdf

The funny thing is...both whey and Raw Milk exhibit "anti-fungal" properties, so--depending on the goal (bacteria tea vs fungal tea)--the addition of Raw Milk/Whey may not always be a "beneficial" ingredient for compost teas.

Cheers!

jonhova

What is the final word on battling PM and botrytist organically?
How effective are foliar sprays of peppermint oil and essential oils in prevention and eradication of these diseases?
One popular spray is bluejay/mountain organics fermented plant exteact purported to boost plant growth and health.
Any science to back that up??