What's new

Bio Bucket Experienced? -Could you lend some input on a Vertical Lighted Bio System??

Dreamscape

:wave: Hey hows it goin everyone,

I had stumbled across Big Toke's ground breaking thread a few months ago and instantly decided his large scale HB setup was the best way to go. Then by chance I came across the wonder of vertical lighting and considering electricity IS an issue since i'm in an apartment - I decided it would be best to intergrate Bio Buckets with Vertical Lighting... I had asked the wise one himself (BigToke) if he could assist but he's helping many others at this point so he couldn't give much input which is why i'm reaching out to you kind and knowledgable folks...

The plan is to construct Tokes classic 36 bucket set-up utilizing a 12 sided polygon which the lighting will hang in the middle of. Each of the buckets will be tilted at an angle , mouth pointed at the light.

On each of the 12 sections of the polygon will be 3 levels going from bottom to top - each with its own bucket. So thats 3 rows of 12 going around in 360 degree polygon, one above the other.

So the polygon frame is basically two pieces , each a polygon half circle made of 6 angled sections, again each section containing three levels , one on top of the other so there are 18 on each side.

:woohoo: Hahaha ... The fun part ... Obviously this set up brings up some interesting issues... The toughest for me to figure out is the pump , feeding and recirculating set-up...

First off - since th buckets will be tilted I'm gonna have to select different points in the bucket to place the feeding and draining outlets ...

Next - seeing as they're going to be at different heights I am either going to have to use different pumps or the same one - I remember seeing a video of the coliseum (the 300 site five level one) - and they use one pump but with a piece coming off of it that stuck up - looking like a T where the feed hoses were attached but with three to five levels of the side outlets coming out instead of just two like a T ...

So I'm thinking I could use that same kind of multi outlet T piece - and have three lines on each side - one line feeding the six buckets on its level and then tie them in some how... Hmmm...

Also I was thinking 3 1000 watters or 5 600 watters...:chin: Then again what does toke use for his 36 ?? And what percentage of the light is used when using reflectors , 60 percent??

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice

~Dream

Last edited:

Secret Room

Keep it simple stupid is a term that is used a lot. It has deep meaning behind it please don't take it wrong from me I don't mean to disrespect your dream. But most inventors start with a basic model and improvise from there when they have a working model to develop from. Get the basics down first.

Dreamscape

Haha... although i was looking for something a bit more specific - "something is better than nothing" - right? ...

Thanks for the insight though, its appreciated. And you know now that I think back over these past few days - the more and more I try to Visualize it the more and more I've said "I should just get the frame started and go from there" ...

Thanks

~Dream

HOVAH

i thought about your design the first time saw BigTokes buckets and i think itll work , the most important thing about the vertical bios i think are finding the supports for the buckets , im using 3 steel struts bolted together... and i dont shot anyones dream down!!!.. keep it up ..1HOVAH

Dreamscape

Yeah Hov, I agree , It can definetly work it'll just take some trial and error.

... Haha also just cause my name is DREAMscape doesn't mean this project is my lifes dream or something haha - everyone has said something playing on my name and relating it to this project... No offense to anyone but this project isn't some huge deal - I mean i'm not going to go into depression and re-evaluate if life is worth living if it doesn't come to be :biglaugh: , but thanks non the less.

Anyone else got any advice ?
Thanks

~Dream

PS. HOVAH - In your sig - I'm almost positive the names are UniCron and GalVatron both characters from the Transformers Movie... just tossin my 2 cents at ya...

Last edited:

HOVAH

thanks yous man, my girlfriend told me i couldnt spell whenever i write her love letters and heres a pic of her

take it easy 1HOVAH :sasmokin:

Maybe, I missed it but...........If the buckets are to be placed at an angle, then how do you propose to keep the water levels at an acceptable level to submerge the roots properly? cant escape gravity!
Good luck

Deltanugz

I ran a stadium-style vertical garden for a couple of years. I posted info about it on CW. 24 buckets on two levels and 5 1000 watt lights on a mover. One of the main reasons I'm now switching back to a flat garden is ease of use. Damn thing was a pain in the ass. Realize that you're going to have a hell of a time making this system and I will probably not be easy to use.

If you decide to go on with your plan, I'd suggest going with big pipes instead of buckets.

HOVAH

you dont have to tilt the buckets , you just have to tilt the net-pots while keeping the buckets yerical

gmanwho

Veteran
Dreamscape: Did this ever get put in production? Just curious.
Would like to know since i myself am thinking of using vertical lighting with a 20bucket system.

Dreamscape

I did not ... After lurking and reading and reading and reading I came to the conclusion that the ratio of work + maintenance to final yeild just wasn't worth it but thats my opinion. However I do not doubt it could be done , but again , the amount of work to set it up let alone trouble shoot it if something went wrong would be insane. Atleast with a regular BT designed system you have other people to help you along as they've probably seen the same problems.

Best of luck
~ DReam

gmanwho

Veteran
vert lighting

vert lighting

So DreamScape, how about using vertical lighting? any more experiences with it you or anyone else can add. Ive read vertical lighting works idealy in flowering stages, and horizontal lighting works best in vegging. Can anyone attest to this? Not sure if its just preference.

B-safe

Latest posts

Latest posts