What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bill Introduced To Legalize and Tax Marijuana

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^its a decent start as far as weight goes, but the government running any business is a bad idea.

Batboy

Haters gonna hate.

You naysayers have to know that unfettered MJ legalization is a pipe dream. The best anyone can hope for right now is a legalized, controlled and regulated effort like the one we have here. By intermingling MJ with the established and legitimate business of state-run alcohol provides immediate legitamacy to MJ and allows it to piggy-back off all of the systems in place relating to sale, use and consumption of alcohol.

IMO this is a superior law to that proposed by CA in Prop 19. Most here will probably jump on the 50 square foot single personal garden limitation, but it represents true legalization without the need for the MMJ defense. It is also completely unrelated to the MMJ laws on the books and should not affect rules and regulations in effect for current MMJ patients. It also allows you to gratuitously transfer up to 1 ounce, which goes a long way in easing regulations on personal use growers.

Sure the bill raises many many questions (less so than Prop 19 IMHO), but, like most legislation, the details will only become clear once the bill passes and the regulators (in this case the LCB) are permitted to delve into and establish specific regulations. I sincerely hope this happens and I urge all Washington residents to read the bill and urge their representatives to support it.

SmilinBob

You guys pulling it apart because you don't like little sections.. You do know that it can be changed? Kind of like how it's changing now..

Get your foot in the door first. Then kick the man behind that door in the balls.

All you all or nothing guys are just trying to run through the door.

merlin123

ICMag Donor
I'm a med user in WA and were allowed 1.5 pounds and 15 plants. There are two bills in committe right now. Senator Kohls has one to make dispensaries legal, have co-op gardens up to 99 plants with 7 medical cards. Rumor has the licenses at 2,500 to 25,000 and then a yearly fee. Zoning will be established by the Health Department. Agricultural or industrial and no growing in housing communities with co-op gardens. You'll be required to have a health certificate, inspections at anytime from the health department, and proper bookkeeping of where all the MJ goes after processed. You'll be required to have approval from the health department of your grow facility. Current law with this bill still gives MJ med users 1.5 pd and 15 plants. This information was passed to me by a friend who lives in Olympia and attended the last planning meeting.
The current bill being floated around Olympia is online just google Senator Kohls marijuana legislation.

I'm all for legalization but let's be real. The feds (Eric Holder) has already told California they are not going to stand for selling MJ if not for medical reasons. So that means no store fronts or grows that are not for medical users. Same is going to happen if WA state or any other state legalize it. It's a start yes... long overdue... but seeing stores selling MJ like liquor is years away no matter what the laws are or what voters want.

I'm an old fart and never thought I would see a black president and I have. Seeing MJ legal and sold like liquour before I bite the big one would be awesome.

sick! I mean, washington state DOES kind of blow in a lot of ways (vancouver and not-seattle, I'm looking at yoooo!); so IMO this would definitely help the state get back some kool kred.

ppl who complain about the exactitudes of the bill are overlooking the most important part... it will be LEGAL to smoke marijuana! once the stigma is gone; the doors will open. More people will try it, and realizing that the world hasn't ended, that it didn't make them hallucinate, that it didn't make them crazy or try heroin, etc. we will be a better and healthier people because of it.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Haters gonna hate.

You naysayers have to know that unfettered MJ legalization is a pipe dream.

Was full emancipation of blacks a pipe dream? How about the weaker sex getting full voting rights, pipe dream also? Freedom to marry a different race or the same sex, pipe dream?

Thank god the world doesn't listen to all the non-hating tools that are used to keep their neighbors in their place. Much easier to judge others and help perpetuate immoral policies than to think for yourself.

:joint:

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
You guys pulling it apart because you don't like little sections.. You do know that it can be changed?

Really? How easy is it to change BAD state policy in WA? Maybe not as easy as you think. The state of WA still holds a monopoly on liquor sales, despite many Washingtonians efforts to end that ANTI AMERICAN practice.

It seems to me that once a state has a policy, it is VERY hard to change. Perhaps the first version of legalization will be THE VERSION for many decades to come, if so this community may wish to help the state get it right.

SmilinBob

Where did I use the term easy? I didn't even hint that it would be easy.

Really? How easy is it to change BAD state policy in WA? Maybe not as easy as you think. The state of WA still holds a monopoly on liquor sales, despite many Washingtonians efforts to end that ANTI AMERICAN practice.

It seems to me that once a state has a policy, it is VERY hard to change. Perhaps the first version of legalization will be THE VERSION for many decades to come, if so this community may wish to help the state get it right.

petard2.gif

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Was full emancipation of blacks a pipe dream? How about the weaker sex getting full voting rights, pipe dream also? Freedom to marry a different race or the same sex, pipe dream?

Thank god the world doesn't listen to all the non-hating tools that are used to keep their neighbors in their place. Much easier to judge others and help perpetuate immoral policies than to think for yourself.

equal rights are still a work in progress..
slavery did not end in one fell swoop.
suffrage took a little more than flipping a switch.
equal marriage is happening slowly.

why would you think legalization should happen any differently?
these things happened in steps. some of the steps were fucking ridiculous(see jim crow) but to think we will get it right the first time without any need for adjustment...
cmon man do try to be serious?

ddrew

Veteran
i agree with hydrosun..under current WA law you can have up to 1.5 LBs if you have your med card.

what is the new limit? if they are making anything over 2ozs a felony this bill is bullshit, just like every other semi legalization more regulation bullshit bill that has been introduced lately.

and selling out of liquor stores?? that sounds like a bunch of bullshit.....like some immigrant from india working the graveyard shift at 711 knows jack shit about weed to sell it to a patient.....implement dispensary system, regulate dispensaries and charge tax there, and get rid of the bullshit new felony for interstate transportation...and il tell my friends in WA to vote for it. other than that i think most of them like things the way they are....15 plants per patient 1.5 lb cured sounds pretty good to me!
Look, you got what you wanted, and killed 19, ok.
Can you try not to shit all over another states effort?
All I remember leading up to the vote on 19 was CA residents talking about how it's a CA thing, and all the other states can piss off, and all the poison talk to ruin its chances.

The last thing I want to see are the same anti 19 CA people showing up in this thread, and trying to ruin this one too.

You didn't want anybody in your business over 19, so stay out of WA's.

"implement dispensary system, regulate dispensaries and charge tax there, and get rid of the bullshit new felony for interstate transportation...and il tell my friends in WA to vote for it."
All the conditions you want, or you will tell your WA friends not to vote for it, that's bullshit, worry about CA, seriously, after all that crap over 19.

I can't be the only one a little pissed seeing the same people trying to fuck this one up.

You guys didn't want to be the first state to legalize for your endless list of petty greed based reasons, fine, you got your wish, be happy with that, and stay out of the way of another state doing it.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
Look, you got what you wanted, and killed 19, ok.
Can you try not to shit all over another states effort?
All I remember leading up to the vote on 19 was CA residents talking about how it's a CA thing, and all the other states can piss off, and all the poison talk to ruin its chances.

The last thing I want to see are the same anti 19 CA people showing up in this thread, and trying to ruin this one too.

You didn't want anybody in your business over 19, so stay out of WA's.

"implement dispensary system, regulate dispensaries and charge tax there, and get rid of the bullshit new felony for interstate transportation...and il tell my friends in WA to vote for it."
All the conditions you want, or you will tell your WA friends not to vote for it, that's bullshit, worry about CA, seriously, after all that crap over 19.

I can't be the only one a little pissed seeing the same people trying to fuck this one up.

You guys didn't want to be the first state to legalize for your endless list of petty greed based reasons, fine, you got your wish, be happy with that, and stay out of the way of another state doing it.

:tiphat: :thank you:
not to mention that "immigrant from india" he holds so much racist disdain for has probably seen more true landraces than 215 has seen cali knockoff "kushes" that have nothing to do with the hindu-kush range...

ddrew

Veteran
I went on a bit of a rant there.
I just feel that some of these people have had it so good for so long in CA now, that they have lost all sight of what it's like for the other 95% of us the US.

Even a semi-draconion legalization is a step in the right direction IMO, and will help to bring change to the states with nothing at all, like mine.

ddrew

Veteran
The vast majority of people had no clue what the fine print on 19 said, before the vote or after, and the same is true of this one.
If it does go to a vote, the outcome will be viewed one of two possible ways by the rest of the country.

1. WA residents voted to legalize Cannabis

2. In a growing trend, WA residents followed CA's example, and said no to legal pot.

No one is going to hang up on the fine print in this country, win or lose(with the exception of the
.000000000000001% of people here that like go through it with a fine tooth comb.)

19's defeat was hailed as "The people said no" by all the prohibitionists, and it only served to embolden them.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
equal rights are still a work in progress..
slavery did not end in one fell swoop.
suffrage took a little more than flipping a switch.
equal marriage is happening slowly.

why would you think legalization should happen any differently?
these things happened in steps. some of the steps were fucking ridiculous(see jim crow) but to think we will get it right the first time without any need for adjustment...
cmon man do try to be serious?

I couldn't agree more with you about the issues above, however those were THOUSAND plus years of bias and hatred.

The difference I see with cannabis prohibition is that it has only existed for 80, has no basis in history, and therefore should be much easier to reverse.

There have been many small steps already, even if WA went full legalization that would still be a small step because this is a large world and the aligned forces of the last 80 years still have a dog in this fight.

A repeal of state laws against cannabis taking us back to 1925 style liberty isn't a crazy unrealistic dream of the future or a nostalgic view of the past; it is just a simple recognition of human rights.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
The vast majority of people had no clue what the fine print on 19 said, before the vote or after, and the same is true of this one.
If it does go to a vote, the outcome will be viewed one of two possible ways by the rest of the country.

1. WA residents voted to legalize Cannabis

2. In a growing trend, WA residents followed CA's example, and said no to legal pot.

No one is going to hang up on the fine print in this country, win or lose(with the exception of the
.000000000000001% of people here that like go through it with a fine tooth comb.)

19's defeat was hailed as "The people said no" by all the prohibitionists, and it only served to embolden them.

This is in the WA state house with sig or veto by the Governor, not up to the public. It will be all open and fair like all other legislative debates ;)

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
A repeal of state laws against cannabis taking us back to 1925 style liberty isn't a crazy unrealistic dream of the future or a nostalgic view of the past; it is just a simple recognition of human rights.

only way that is happening is the f.d.a. being completely eradicated. which im not opposed to but it aint happening...

ddrew

Veteran
This is in the WA state house with sig or veto by the Governor, not up to the public. It will be all open and fair like all other legislative debates ;)

Bummer
That's how it was in my state, made it through everything, only to be vetoed by the Governor

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran

that fact wont be how the media reports a legalization defeat...
it will be the same as it was after 19
"when will these hippies learn people dont want their kids exposed to drugs"
^^^
direct quote from faux news pundit sean hannity

Latest posts

Latest posts