What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Biggest roots & Tallest Plants, what genetics are proven monsters?

laszlokovacs

Any thoughts on plants that you believe have exceptional vigor outdoors? Stuff that can tolerate wet feet, root diseases and stuff of that nature? Cooler temps? Im looking for huge, bushy plants outgrow everything else consistently.

Variety is irrelevant, BLD/NLD- I dont care. Flowering time 5 weeks or 25 weeks doesnt matter. Potency, trichome coverage, head size- not interested. THC/CBD levels are not a concern whatsoever.

If you have a recommendation or seeds of your own you think fit the bill let me know. Pics appreciated. Thanks

cbotany

If you want the tallest cannabis plant on record its actually a hemp plant, from a batch of china mah, Blue dream has a commercial cut which is a proven giant, but that comes with aeration of the roots and a good soil mix, it also does well in soiless media (or so i've heard) If you want seeds form and just a giant plant hemp traders has a stock of china mah (or did). The real thing about a giant is soil aeration, a solid genetic, and allowing the plant a cycle of drying and watering where your nutrient regiment (or bacteria/fungi for living organic ) can do its thing. With out these things good genetics aren't going to get you there. If you're looking to get high/medical I'd look at Indian land races. A good place to ask is Angus at the real seed company, Or look at Zomia seeds. Cheers!

laszlokovacs

Thanks @cbotany. Hemp is fine, I remember seeing that worlds tallest plant seeds on strainly a while ago. Im definitely looking for seeds not cuts though.

Hemp traders looks interesting I appreciate it. They have 1oz sample packs of seed for 10$ it seems. I do wonder about the structure of these fiber type plants. I wonder if they have a more typical cannabis structure when they are not grown in massive density plantings.

I will look at landraces as well- but I like the vigor some hybrids can have. Will probably try a range of options to play around with anyway.

Yeah the reason im asking is just for experimenting and having fun. These would pretty much all be used as rootstock anyway. Soil will get worked in my main patches anyway but there are certainly hardy traits and disease resistance I am looking for in the seeds I want to use for roots. If I look at moonsoon prone landrace genetics, id imagine the roots tolerate standing water a bit better than other plants for example

cbotany

I grew out the pulag feral from zomia seeds and its one of my favorite strains at the moment, if you have a chance check out zomia seeds, i'd recommend the feral varieties of any of the strains that are cultivated for charas, they seem to be more naturally selected. Angus also has a feral indian variety thats named after the river it was found by (or valley its name is slipping my mind) If it was my project I'd get a one oz sample from hemp traders, and two or three feral varieties, start them inside at 12/12 to sex them out/prevent dampening off (your biggest problem when it comes to plants with "wet feet" that is pretty much solved by the end of the seedling stage), switch to 24/0 to reveg and do two patches, one with males of the hemp and females of the indians, and one with the females of hemp and males of indians. In a few years you'll have your own strain that you can select the traits you're looking for out of, and a good amount of seeds to share. Fiber hemp can branch out when not grown in the circumstances of over seeding but there is a pheno that mainly grows a single stem. I hope this helps!

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
kc brains has a few that would fit your needs @laszlokovacs
haze special, tnr, spontanica and so.

kc-and-tnr.jpg

chilliwilli

Waterboy
I found this today

03e1d13f5a1667203d942f5482bdbba0298002e3.jpeg

Iirc in robert connel clarkes book about hash he wrote about 18months old charras plants that could get up to 8m. He assumed this is the genetic limit for cannabis.

Somewere here was a pic posted from the lower part of a hemp plant "before it was crippled by breeding thc under 0.3%" that looked like a tree

cbotany

I found this today

View attachment 18950689

Iirc in robert connel clarkes book about hash he wrote about 18months old charras plants that could get up to 8m. He assumed this is the genetic limit for cannabis.

Somewere here was a pic posted from the lower part of a hemp plant "before it was crippled by breeding thc under 0.3%" that looked like a tree
Hey bud, I actually have seeds from this batch! This is china mah by hemp traders

Edited because i always call them fair trade hemp

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cant say for a certainty but in our experience that supersonic cut from PCG is vigorous as hell. Was always the tallest plant in the room.

laszlokovacs

Yeah I will probably grab one of those 10$ sample zip of seeds from hemp traders in the coming weeks much appreciated. Zomia seeds looks interesting, would have to narrow down selections cuz 5$ per seed is a bit much for my purposes and seems a waste of landrace genetics. But just at first glance there are descriptions of stuff like Chanderkhani feral from very wet, dark locations that hits 7m etc.. Could be very promising.

KC beans could be worthwhile. 10$ for 5 seeds is very fair to me. Spontanica/TNR claim 4-4.5m outdoor height. I am still very curious how the hemp might perform planted with room to breathe though.

laszlokovacs

Just to be clear- these are seeds that I will only be using for rootstock. So in many ways the final height is more an indication of the potential of the roots to support growth and having the genetics for rapid growth etc in my eyes. But Male/Female etc is not important. And I have no intention of breeding or really flowering any of them out- especially if they dont produce THC.

Would be nice to have a small array of varieties too- hemp, feral, landrace, modern genetics etc... I am looking for these varieties that are massive based on the belief that it will have some influence on height of clones put on the stocks- so I would like to see the extent that THC/terps/cannabinoids are affected by the rootstock. Not much written about this online but all logic points towards there being some influence- I'd like to see for myself

Height, soil tolerance, disease and pest resitance to some extent are all traits that would be useful. If seeds are cheap I can have a greater sample size and test them more vigorously. I have above average rainfull in northeat USA. I want to see if varities can add any value to yield, height, flood tolerance etc...- A variety that could stretch to reach openings in a wooded area and tolerate wet feet would have obvious benefits in these conditions.

Seems like a fun waste of time dunno. Keep the suggestions coming anyone and everyone, they are appreciated:smoke:

Ca++

While my climate stops things reaching 8 meters, I have found the serious 6 to get a lot bigger than things around it. Perhaps 8 foot high, but 10 foot wide and thick with branches. Where it's neighbours might also be over 6 foot, but just 4 foot wide. The 6 just has that 'big bush' thing going on, that is missing from this thread.

laszlokovacs

Ill consider those too- seems like the trend with a few of these are sativas bred for early northern climates.

You are right about the desirability of a big bush for the most part. I am very focused about the roots, although unfortunately they are almost impossible to measure and pretty much never are. But I want the biggest roots- something that I think we generally equate with massive plants with bushy habits, dense growth, wide berths etc... I guess "Volume" would be a more accurate quality I am looking for, now that you mention it.

But height is important in my eyes and part of the size/volume for sure. Humidity can cause issues in my climate so a plant too low, too dense, too bushy will cause issues.

Again these are just to be used to supply the roots for various clones. I dont think 8m is really achievable in my climate either. But I want that potential for gigantic growth, branchy plants and overall plant mass in my rootstocks.

Latest posts

Latest posts