What's new

Big Clones.....and air layers.....

whiteberrieS

With A Black Flag Raised In The Sky
Veteran
Here goes nothin Budley...cuts into cocoa yesterday...I dunno if this is the right one but I didnt feel like clicking to page 2 haha
picture.php

Gonna try that Airlayer multiple-rootball thing with a couple of these Ichabod...Goji OG and LemonZinger are more suited for it than my other ones.

Unclecrash

LOL... crane you funny guy....

But let me add some perspective to clones this large.....

If air layering failed and you had to kill a big hunk of plant like this.... it would be a pretty big loss....

I have in fact left a rooted air layer in tact with the mother and flowered it out.....

and it didnt seem to be any different than the rest of the plant.....

This needs a bit more attempts to be confident..... but if its true that you can either cut the clone.....or leave it to flower.... makes the proposition pretty safe from a gain vs loss perspective....You need only cut the clone if you can see its rooted.....

I have one almost done a round day 55 in flower still attached and doing well. I have water the airlayer every day or so along with the plant. What i wonder is if I stopped watering the airlayer would it die out or would the mother take backover as the airlayer roots dried.. I might do an experiment and cut it loose at harvest and see if I can keep it going.

Budley Doright

Veteran

This is a cousin of the device my friend ichy made .....he uses 2 x 20 oz bottle I use one...and a neoprene collar to save space....

The short version is probably 3 times as large as a rapid rooter....

the larger is about 16 ounces of medium.....

More than likely Im going to poke a couple holes in this and hang it from a shepherds hook....or a branch....

I will also probably use coco instead of the rapid rooter...... If I use a rapid rooter...I would finish filling the thingy with some other medium ....like coco.....

The smaller device is about 3.5 inches tall.... the other.... about 7 inches....

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=64346&pictureid=1552475&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=64346&pictureid=1552476&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=64346&pictureid=1552477&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

This is a cousin of the device my friend ichy made .....he uses 2 x 20 oz bottle I use one...and a neoprene collar to save space....

The short version is probably 3 times as large as a rapid rooter....

the larger is about 16 ounces of medium.....

More than likely Im going to poke a couple holes in this and hang it from a shepherds hook....or a branch....

I will also probably use coco instead of the rapid rooter...... If I use a rapid rooter...I would finish filling the thingy with some other medium ....like coco.....

The smaller device is about 3.5 inches tall.... the other.... about 7 inches....

How and where is that alligator clip used?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
The bottle is slit up the side....

the bottom is held together by the cap....

the top by the clip......

I suspect I will do something else instead of the clip.....

This is just a prototype.....

Nice. What about riveting eyelets into the either side so you could seal it shut with a zip tie or twist tie? It would be reusable after that point too. :yes:

Budley Doright

Veteran
Nice. What about riveting eyelets into the either side so you could seal it shut with a zip tie or twist tie? It would be reusable after that point too. :yes:

The uncut bottle is just a little big..... the top must be slightly overlapped....

I had melted a hole thru the 2 sides and used a green twist tie to hang the device.....

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Peaceful Valley Nursery is selling containers designed to be used for air layering.

Air layering is an effective method of propagation, and now, with Rooter-Pots, you can easily and quickly produce large new plants from prized specimens. Brilliant design maintains vital moisture and controls humidity while the parent plant puts out new roots into the growing medium within the Rooter-Pot. Within 2-4 months, you will have a nice-sized new plant on its own roots, ready to be grown on without transplanting shock. Made from durable plastic and can be re-used time after time for many years. The Baby Rooter Pot is 3-1/4" dia x 4" deep. Use this size for stems 1/4" - .5" in diameter. The Large Rooter Pot is 5" dia x 6-1/4" ht. Use this size for stems .5" - 1" in diameter.

http://www.groworganic.com/rooter-pot-baby.html

http://www.groworganic.com/rooter-pot-large.html

whiteberrieS

With A Black Flag Raised In The Sky
Veteran
Here goes nothin Budley...cuts into cocoa yesterday...I dunno if this is the right one but I didnt feel like clicking to page 2 haha
View Image

Gonna try that Airlayer multiple-rootball thing with a couple of these Ichabod...Goji OG and LemonZinger are more suited for it than my other ones.

1-13 to 1-31, got some rewts.
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

roots pokin on 3 total I think but they all got that look to em, even the pitiful lil fugger bottom left. Fighting off some infections too I got em sprayed with some stuff. Picked up a bag of rooters while the test was going guess that'll be my last one :tiphat: Budley and....Bozo I think it was, popped in with the coco rebuttal :tiphat:

Lester Moore

Veteran
Air layer

Air layer

my experiment begins. starting with just a few good sized branches... if my predictions are right, my life will be changed forever!!!
this technique makes total sense, as long as the root mass is big enough to support the branch being cut...home run! hole in one, 5 hole!!
either way this is going to be fun, so glad I found this.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Hey lester good luck with the work.....
make sure you carefully ring your branch....

Im about to start a big experiment myself.....

Im converting my perpetual from clones to air layers....

It looks like less than 3 weeks....

I will also do an experiment of rooting hormones....

clonex vs dip n grow.....

Stay tuned.....

Budley Doright

Veteran
The clonex is a gel.... dip n grow an alcohol based liquid I think......

Since I get 100% rooting with clonex in normal cloning..... I chose that.....

I have had some belief that dip n grow may be more suitable for larger clones and air layers... plus ichybod has has good success with dip n grow.... I thought a head to head would be useful....

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do it for science.

And me. I was just running out of powder and was thinking of Dip 'n Grow. Apparently it's the go to for nurseries running different cultivars/large numbers.

Haven't done any math but appears cheaper/more effective.

bigshrimp

Veteran
scrape area ,apply rooting hormone whatever... add moist moss or similar,wrap in saran wrap or similar ,wait for roots and keep moist.. a syringe is handy for adding moisture if needed...yeehaw .. that's it in a nutshell..could be handy for those with numbers limits that actually obey them..

Only thing i have to add emphasis on moist, not wet.

That and dark really helps. I wrap some duct tape around the saran wrap to keep the light out.

Some plants respond better than others as usual.

bigshrimp

Veteran
Well supposedly roots form more quickly in the dark, but just from my experience air layering it seemed to work better.