What's new

Big bust yesterday in Denver

Pot ring indictment

Multistate case focuses spotlight on Amendment 44

434090805-_o.jpg

By Charlie Brennan, Rocky Mountain News
October 20, 2006
Nineteen days before Colorado voters decide whether to legalize possession of 1 ounce or less of marijuana, state and federal drug enforcers waded into the debate Thursday with the announcement of a high-profile drug-ring indictment.

Federal Drug Enforcement Administration personnel were joined by officials of several state jurisdictions to tout the results of Operation Berthoud, a 152-count indictment by a Denver grand jury of 38 individuals in an alleged multistate network trafficking in "BC Bud," a highly potent strain of marijuana.

The network, charged with moving 50- to 100-pound monthly shipments from Northern California and the Seattle area to Denver, is also alleged to have trafficked in ecstasy, developed sophisticated local growing operations, and armed itself with high-powered weaponry and bulletproof vests.

The indictment charges those named with operating in violation of the Colorado Organized Crime Control Act. Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey said it is the largest indictment, in terms of the number of individuals named, ever to originate in the Denver prosecutor's office.

Thirty-three of the ring's alleged members live in the Denver area or northeastern Colorado, while five are from Washington state. Its members were characterized as being mostly young adults of multiple ethnicities.

Officials said the probe leading to the indictment started more than a year ago in Weld County as an ecstasy investigation, and that the targeted ring was directed by a third-generation Vietnamese-American, Thanh Thea Hau, 22, who lived in Denver.

Hau, and 26 other people named in the indictment, had been arrested by late Thursday. It is alleged that Hau made about $150,000 a month in the enterprise.

The DEA identified him as part owner of the DC 10 nightclub in Denver.

In a news conference announcing the indictment, DEA Special Agent in Charge Jeffrey D. Sweetin brought up Colorado's proposed Amendment 44, before any reporter had done so.

"In the event that Colorado decides very soon that marijuana is OK in Colorado, there will be many more of these" organizations, Sweetin said.

"So I think this is something we need to consider. Anytime you have bulletproof vests, guns and counterfeiting, I think we have to look at that with our eyes wide open."

He conceded that no acts of violence are included in the indictment.

Sweetin, who has spoken out against Amendment 44 on several other occasions in recent weeks, was asked if there was any political significance to the timing of Thursday's news conference, given that 13 people named in the indictment were still at large when the news conference began.

"Most of the cases that we've put out in front of you don't have 100 percent arrests by the time" they are announced, said Sweetin, who cited a public duty to disclose why more than two-dozen people were suddenly behind bars.

"As far as it being a political announcement, I don't consider it a political announcement," he said.

"I consider it a real eye-opener for people that believe marijuana operates different than organized crime. So, to that extent, is it a message? It wasn't timed to be a message, but, yeah, I think it's a message."

Messages weren't hard to come by Thursday, as outside the DEA offices, Mason Tvert, campaign director of SAFER, which is backing the Amendment 44 initiative, held a counter news conference of his own.

Tvert saw a direct connection between the announcement of the indictment - which had been returned Sept. 27 - and the vote that looms Nov. 7.

"They're doing everything they can to scare people off, voting against an initiative that otherwise they would possibly be voting for," Tvert said.

Tvert argued that alcohol has been tied to many more acts of violence than marijuana.

He claimed that the timing of Thursday's news conference at the DEA, so close to Amendment 44 going to the voters, was a sign that the amendment's opponents smell defeat.

Operation Berthoud

• Indictment returned: Sept. 27 in Denver County

• Individuals named: 38, including 33 from Colorado and five from Washington state

• Alleged ringleader: Thanh Thea Hau, 22, Denver, facing 59 drug trafficking counts. He could serve more than 100 years in prison if convicted on all counts.

• Method of alleged distribution: 50-to-100-pound shipments by car from northern California and the Seattle area to Denver, where it would be sold by multipound or half-pound quantities, sometimes in public settings such as the Tamarac Square area. The pot was valued at $3,000-to-$4,000 per pound, because of its high potency.

• Number arrested: By late Thursday, 27 of the 38 had been placed in custody.

• Seized in the one-year investigation: 95 pounds of high-grade marijuana, three indoor growing operations including 414 plants valued at $3.3 million, more than 1,500 tablets of MDMA (ecstasy), about $704,000 in cash and assets including more than a dozen vehicles.

• Agencies involved: The Federal Drug Enforcement Administration, the Denver District Attorney's Office, the Front Range Task Force and the Weld County Task Force

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/elections/article/0,2808,DRMN_24736_5080504,00.html

Last edited:

sogman

Man that suck's those guy's coulda gone bulk and all of colarado would have been a stoner's wasteland! I want herb to infest every household in the america's and shroom's are good too!

sogman

I like the pic at the top. The court will know who the naughty stoner's in the room are, cause they cant keep their eyes off those buds!

Haha, BC bud being a strain, that's funny, guess schwag is two.

$150,000 a month that's $1,800,000 a year, not bad for 22, should kept the greed under control.

It's a shame, being illegal it is simply merchandise not healing cannabis to the enemy.

And that enemy will always be our shadow!

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
I love how they're helping demonize the poor canadians. That damned 'ol "BC BUD". Then they make it seem like they were an international terrorist ring with a HUGE armory of weapons and bullet proof vests. I'd wear a vest too if I were in their line of work. Those government sharp shooters are good at what they do.

Last edited:

robotwithdreams

Veteran
the 22 year old ringleader? thats seems like some bullshit. Are they saying he basically build this enterprise, shit he must have started real fucking young, like 14.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That Cop has it backwards. It they legalize personal use, people will grow most of their own and wont have a use for those people....

T

trem0lo

Most likely I bought some of this "BC Bud" while I lived in Denver this summer. It was a badass sativa strain that got my friends & me all sorts of high :) Really freaking potent, and some of my buds thought it was laced. I assured them otherwise :)

They complain about the guns & bullet proof vests... but if pot was LEGAL in the first place there would be none of that. Isn't that the point of the new legislation?

BeanieSigal

keep in mind how the whole thing started... " Officials said the probe leading to the indictment started more than a year ago in Weld County as an ecstasy investigation"
:chin:
notice they gave no dollar estimate for the value of 1500 ecstasy tabs but the 414 plants were 3.3 mil...this was a blatent effort to sway the voters.

T

trem0lo

Unfortunately ecstasy will always attract more attention with DEA. In my experience it's also a more neurotoxic drug in long-term users, thus more dangerous than marijuana.

Yes, it was a political story for sure. Damn, and it's depressing too... the pot we smoked this summer in Denver was so fucking good We got so many newbies high with it and they LOVED it. That's how it should be.

G

I hate shit like this where they somehow use this as an argument AGAINST legalization. doesn't anybody think for themselves anymore instead of being SHEEP???? cmon now, would they need the stupid guns and vests if it was legal and they could actually count on law enforcement officials to intervene in the event of violence??? every other ex-cop in the nation is saying legalization would decrease crime, and this one politically motivated bullshitter is probably swaying voters as I write this.