What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Biden: No Guns for Weed Smokers

moose eater

it sounds like a "rallying cry" more than anything. restricting new stuff much easier than getting folks to turn over what they already own. been several large cities doing "voluntary buy-backs" for years now. mostly cheap pistols, crime guns, and non-functioning rifles from all i've read. most of them limit payment to $200 or something pitiful like that. not gonna get many AR-15s at that price "voluntarily"... if they pass a law/mandatory buy-back/surrenders over objections of voters and in violation of the 2nd Amendment, we're gonna have a bumper crop of felons unable to vote if detected...which may be what they want. if you can't vote, "fuck what you think" seems to be their motto. :mad:
Maybe.

I guess if that comes to pass, we'll find out how many of the armchair revolutionaries believe in what they say, to the extent of putting the money where the mouths are.

Remember there's been a number of states that dealt with this issue; guns and medical weed users, years ago. Florida was one, I believe. I know of no massive seizures of weapons or growing lists of felonies that arose from that. I think Oregon is now in the throes of something similar. Hawaii did the same dance earlier on, as well.

I've been checked while fishing on the ice with a revolver in a shoulder holster on the dash of my snowmachine, on a remote lake, out in the middle of nowhere, by a cop in a Trooper Cub (Super Cub in all the wrong colors and decorations), with an open beer on the foot-board of my machine, after just having puffed on some hash (maybe a joint?), and my then very young, youngest son present, who'd just caught a decent eater-size lake trout.

Cop instead assumed a boundary challenged Mr. Rogers role, and started to tell my son what a special place I'd brought him to, and that even if he didn't catch any fish, it was still a special place.

You know how weed smoke hangs in the air in the cold?

Let alone that often during times of civil unrest, revolution, or war, traffic tickets, misdemeanors, and even many felonies and law enforcement, take on a whole new perspective or categorization. Minor infractions go away and become non-issues, even more so than they were already.. typically.

But remember, the 2nd had nothing to do with sporting, or game hunting, or self defense, per se'. It was strictly "a well-regulated militia" meant to put down tyranny. Seems the drum bangers have been quite OK with tyranny thus far..

Edit: Except for the fact that they got REALLY pissed off about those damned masks!! Bwahahahahaha!!!

Last edited:

moose eater

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? it is the whole people. " -George Mason, Founding Father and co-author of the 2nd Amendment.
Yep, it is/was. And that has been upheld. The purpose of its protection is a whole 'nother biscuit. For which Bambi is thankful. :)

But again, numerous states have already gone through the threats of seizing cannabis users' firearms, and it fizzled in all the cases I'm aware of, at least in the larger picture.

I'm not a medical card holder, nor would I be, as the 1975 Ravin Decision (Ravin v. State of Alaska) offered greater protections of privacy and afforded greater weights, plant counts, etc., than our milquetoste medical statute... without having to put one's name on a 'please visit me' list.

But I worked legalization issues (and many other 'hotter' issues, with our group(s) under surveillance) for years, with licensed firearms on paper, and other more conventional items off paper, frequently armed in travel and efforts toward removing prohibitions, and only once was I asked to produce a piece of paper on a restricted weapon. That was in SW Alaska, at a shooting range, where the cop in reference had personal issues with civilian ownership of such things.

Showed him the reduced size paper I carried, and he went away. However disgruntled he might've been, wasn't my concern.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
But again, numerous states have already gone through the threats of seizing cannabis users' firearms
i've only bought maybe 3 firearms that i had to do paperwork on. i lied like a dog on them too when they asked too many questions. but honestly, i don't think anyone even looks at those sheets. i bought a shotgun years ago (MANY!) and where the form asked to what use i was putting it to, i wrote in "hunting state troopers". so i have doubts about the sincerity of their intentions...oddly enough (sheer coincidence) every time i've been arrested for cannabis, i was on federal property and armed. :dunno:

moose eater

i've only bought maybe 3 firearms that i had to do paperwork on. i lied like a dog on them too when they asked too many questions. but honestly, i don't think anyone even looks at those sheets. i bought a shotgun years ago (MANY!) and where the form asked to what use i was putting it to, i wrote in "hunting state troopers". so i have doubts about the sincerity of their intentions...oddly enough (sheer coincidence) every time i've been arrested for cannabis, i was on federal property and armed. :dunno:
There's no gun registration per se' in Alaska. Only class IIIs or 'destructive devices.' (those can get interesting).

There's a standard NICS check when buying from a licensed dealer whether the firearm is new or used.

40 years ago I ran the rivers with a purveyor on rare occasion, somtimes twisting joints in the bow of the river boat on our way to check his 'personal use' salmon nets. He didn't smoke at that time, perhaps when he was overseas, but not then. But at that time there was no aggregate weight limit under the original Ravin Decision, and the legislature had decrimmed up to one ounce in public, "providing it wasn't publicly displayed or used" Which we, of course, ALWAYS abided by. :)

And the specific wording on the Form 4473's was a bit different then, too. "The 7 no's" back then.

Last edited:

moose eater

by my count, if no one can see you, you are not in "public" no matter where you are. for damn sure, not in a boat tearing ass up a river out in the middle of nowhere... that would be a fun case to watch play out in court. :tiphat:
Unfortunately, there's currently a case before our State Supreme Court, just heard in Fairbanks,. with the Public permitted to attend, involving our Article 1 Section 22 rights of privacy (on which Ravin was based, as well as our protections for abortion rights) with the State (read: cops and the AG's office) arguing that there's no expectation of privacy from the air. (*Never mind that legal altitude under FAA flight standards in a residential area, unless otherwise permitted, requires 500 ft. altitude).

It brings to mind the Danny Kilo (spelling?) case (coincidental name, no?) from Oregon a number of years ago, where the cops had gone to one house to use FLIR on the ground, based on suspicions of cultivation, I believe with a warrant for the first house, heard rumors of a neighbor having a grow, used FLIR on that house as well, without a warrant, and popped DK for having a grow in his garage, if I recall correctly. (Maybe 25+ years ago?).

The then-SCOTUS ruled that not everyone had FLIR in their back pockets (though I know housing energy raters who carried them around, even 25 years ago), so despite the State's argument that it was akin to a plain-view doctrine search with a flashlight, it really wasn't the same, and I recall DK winning at the SCOTUS..

One stumbling point in using the D. Kilo defense in Alaska involves the frequency of private ownership of aircraft here. Lots of folks own small aircraft (shitloads of areas without roads, remote villages, etc.), though in this case , we're specifically talking about LEO aircraft. I don't know if that case has been decided yet, it was heard just a couple weeks ago, but it ought to have a bunch of people nervous. We'll see.

Last edited:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Sorry for off topic but it floors me that 350 million people put up with completely corrupt government. In 1960's the NSA intentionally lied to Johnson about the second attack in gulf of Tonkin to start vietnam war. Then that POS Nixon passes drug laws just to silence the open minded who were against the war.
drugs.jpg

grayeyes

So Mr. Biden, now apply the policy to the military at all levels. Then when you have no military what are you going to do? The cartels aren't going to fight for you.

You must have had help on this genius idea from Kamala. This sounds like the kind of thinking she does best--on her knees.

RobFromTX

Sorry for off topic but it floors me that 350 million people put up with completely corrupt government. In 1960's the NSA intentionally lied to Johnson about the second attack in gulf of Tonkin to start vietnam war. Then that POS Nixon passes drug laws just to silence the open minded who were against the war. View attachment 18793749
And FDR knew Pearl Harbor would be attacked a week in advance. Every president uses the war machine to their personal advantage. We have a president now pissing away all our resources on a conflict in a country most people didnt know existed until a year ago. You can bet that war will be raging years after we finally run out of weapons and money

Stankwilliamsjr

So pounding coffee and energy drinks all day is super conducive to logical thinking and empathy? But cannabis will make us lose our grasp and use a firearm in an inappropriate way? Nothing will change until these narrow minded old whites guys are gone or out numbered. Sorry if this rubs you the wrong way or you’re a hip old white guy (I’m well on my way) but this is just one dudes opinion.

moose eater

And FDR knew Pearl Harbor would be attacked a week in advance. Every president uses the war machine to their personal advantage. We have a president now pissing away all our resources on a conflict in a country most people didnt know existed until a year ago. You can bet that war will be raging years after we finally run out of weapons and money
I knew they existed. I have/had 1st Generation Ukrainian Canadian friends from there. Exceptional perogies, btw, among other things. Good folks.

Yes, the CIA played ground games there to stir the pot for over a decade, and NATO was brought into the mix to up the ante/pressure.

But the People there, caught in the middle of this geo-political checkers game and high-stakes bullshit, are decent folks. They don't deserve to have their people raped, killed or tortured.

RobFromTX

I knew they existed. I have/had 1st Generation Ukrainian Canadian friends from there. Exceptional perogies, btw, among other things. Good folks.

Yes, the CIA played ground games there to stir the pot for over a decade, and NATO was brought into the mix to up the ante/pressure.

But the People there, caught in the middle of this geo-political checkers game and high-stakes bullshit, are decent folks. They don't deserve to have their people raped, killed or tortured.
Nobody deserves that but every conflict adopts those atrocities. I saw great people in the middle east that didn't deserve what we put them through either. This is a war between a country that wants to join Nato and a country that feels completely surrounded by Nato. As always were the ones that just pay the bills. Its personal on both sides. It sucks Ukraine has to be the victim but this WAS going to happen eventually. If Canada launched a military alliance with Russia our government would launch their own "special military operation" in a matter of days

moose eater

Nobody deserves that but every conflict adopts those atrocities. I saw great people in the middle east that didn't deserve what we put them through either. This is a war between a country that wants to join Nato and a country that feels completely surrounded by Nato. As always were the ones that just pay the bills. Its personal on both sides. It sucks Ukraine has to be the victim but this WAS going to happen eventually. If Canada launched a military alliance with Russia our government would launch their own "special military operation" in a matter of days
There's a longer and more complex back-story re. US involvement in Ukraine than your post acknowledges, including a decade, +/-, of US cooperation with OPEC in oil production aimed at keeping prices low; Russia, like Alaska, being heavily reliant on oil for income. A glutted market having consequences for both. An oil pipeline was involved in that geo-political checkers game, as hinted at earlier.

Much of what the US involves itself in, re. overseas military (and economic) action, despite a frequent pretense involving the disingenuous proverbial 'white cowboy hat' and some semblance of questionable altruism, is often focused on either geographic strategic positioning, or resource access for either the US in general, or for US-friendly nations and/or US-friendly or based corporate interests. Dozens of historical incidents 'prove' this.

'Foreign Aid' is as often a bribe aimed toward weakening another's sovereignty and gaining policy agreements as not.

That you clearly seem to feel something regarding the carnage and waste brought by 'our' (illegal) actions in the Middle East, Rob, lends greater respect to you and your parents. I mean that. Speaks to being raised with conscience and empathy as positive traits; not enough of that these days, imo. (*And many of your music posts are pretty cool, too).

The man who took me in off the highway when I was 16, and gave me a home and work at an off-grid homestead farm in the UP of Michigan in 1975 or 1976-ish, never really overcame the images, or, especially the impact they had on rural Cambodian farmers just trying to live. His sense of guilt over their armored infantry rolling through non-combatant, non-VC Cambodian remote farmer villages, and what ensued never left his mind.

Yes, our taxes, and the nationalistic gullibility practically bred into too many of our citizens and patrons from the age of youth and onward, takes a toll in re. to our coming to grips with our own Frankenstein.

Carl Gustav Jung spoke about embracing and acknowledging all aspects of ourselves; archetypes, shadow archetypes, etc., the good, the bad and the ugly. Otherwise it's futile to attempt to control something that's been denied even being there. The vicious dog who we deny being present will still be just as vicious, but less guarded against by denying its existence. Advice that can be functionally applied to any lens, really; individual, community, nation, etc.

There's a much more complex history re. Ukraine, involving our State Dept.

Last edited:

grayeyes

I like the fact that Ukrainian drones and missiles are reaching Putin's bomber airfield. He likes to give the boom wonder how he likes getting it. Maybe one zeroed on the Kremlin would be more fun.

RobFromTX

Ive met some russians here in the U.S. They really like the guy. Putins really popular there. But once those Oligarchs have had enough they'll replace him with someone whos twice as bad. I read the leader of the wagner group is being groomed :oops:

moose eater

Ive met some russians here in the U.S. They really like the guy. Putins really popular there. But once those Oligarchs have had enough they'll replace him with someone whos twice as bad. I read the leader of the wagner group is being groomed :oops:
We fight with nations sometimes with the view that everyone there/here agrees with policies they had no say in. Same is true of Russia, Ukraine, the USA, Canada, and every other Country. Governments, once in place, do as they will.

Nationalism seems hip around the world these days, with a right-leaning bent since 9/11, even in places like Holland and perviously moderate Central Europe. And nationalism often includes supporting the folks in one's own nation who beat that drum of nationalist exceptionalism loudest, for better or for worse, no matter which nation one is in.

Many are too proud of things they had no part in creating or maintaining, simply by being born there. An act they also had no say or accomplishment in. Go figger. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts