What's new

BHO stability?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so ive been making alot of BHO and just curious @:
my bho always comes out very sticky, such is the nature of this stuff; however ive seen alot of (supposedly) BHO that is stable to the touch. It wont stick to fingers, acts more like crumbly play dough than honey or thick molasses.
I would like to make BHO that is stable to the touch when at room temp. ( I know that freezing makes it hard, but thats not what im after)
Is there a certain technique or process used to create BHO hash that is not a stickly gooey glob? Dont get me wrong, my bho is great, tasty strong and well purged (ive been using the accessory port on my food saver to great a vac chamber inside a foodsaver tupperwarwe, vac purges well as best i can tell, but still turns out "unstable": gooey like thick honey oil.) I see lots of BHO on here lookin like moon rocks and whatnot, but mine always comes out the same consistency.
or is this some kind of like trade secret that peeps dont share?

hammalamma

Veteran
Try a lil more heat, let it sit out longer to dry, put a fan runing over it, any or all of these should help.

ghostnugz

ICMag Donor
Veteran
its all in the wrist. you need to whip that shit good and let it sit on the heating pad longer after purge

itsame

having ran over 100 batches of shatter glass, imho, what keeps bho sticky, tacky or pastey is humidity.

1. Use super dry, but freshly trimmed plant material
2. Hot water bath when youre running your batch
3. 4x refined butane or higher
4. When you do your purge, use a candy thermometer and dont go over 140 degrees. Thats more for the terpenes than the end consistancy.

5. and most important to end consistancy, take a torch and LIGHTLY AND QUICKLY graze over your oil with the torch at a distance to where the heat and not the actual flame does the work. If you get bubbles just take a dabber or dental pick and squiggle your oil. Not a whipping motion, more like trying to erase something with a pencil eraser. Short fast strokes. Once you see the oil start to bubble let off the flame for 30 seconds. The more times you pass over the oil the dryer it will get and more shattery.

Be careful and wait to medicate until after you run your batch.

Mistakes happy when busy or high. Just my .02

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for the input, im about to run some more tubes and try alla that.
pretty much the most common answer is whipping it and im assuming to do that in the end.
we are using a warm water batch, like 120 f degree water, tried whipping toward the end before, but i will try the back and forth motion as if erasing w pencil as well.
as far as shatter glass goes: are you talking shatter like glass @ room temp? thats how my frozen stuff acts of course. im gon whip it good this eve.
thanks again for the input

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
next thread

next thread

also posting a thread now @ best way 2 process larger quanitities of trim safely (not w butane!)
chime in there that wouldd b great!

Last edited:

hammalamma

Veteran
IMO whipping only leads to budder, honeycomb, or unclear oil. That's just in my experiences. Dry it out more, think about it, does hard ass "shatter" or absolute amber seem like it has any moisture in it?

Last edited:

itsame

exactly. I dont "whip" I just move my dabber in the oil as it bubbles when I am torching it. The torch just accelerates the drying.

no humidity in the oil= shatter

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok, no humidity, torch on it once its seemingly well purged. thanks hammalamma and itsame
also, im in a place practically no humidity so that helps, been vac sealing dry w no water in the bottom also, then "whipping" or dabber moving or whatev.
this batch def seems a lil bit stiffer than before, still not getting that chalky feeling im kinda going for, but if i end up w "shatter" i suppose thats as good if not better (?)

hammalamma

Veteran
ok, no humidity, torch on it once its seemingly well purged. thanks hammalamma and itsame
also, im in a place practically no humidity so that helps, been vac sealing dry w no water in the bottom also, then "whipping" or dabber moving or whatev.
this batch def seems a lil bit stiffer than before, still not getting that chalky feeling im kinda going for, but if i end up w "shatter" i suppose thats as good if not better (?)

Better IMO.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok instead of a flame (yikes) i used a heat gun.... set to about 120-140 made nice bubbles i whip, heat, bubbles, whip heat bubbles
then no bubbles, just whip
still dont consider what i got "shatter" or budder or what have that, but just a much more viscous hash than before when i didnt whip or "torch"
def like the vac purge in the food saver tho... just started doing that and it speeds up the purge towards the end.

still open to suggestions, and im trying almost all that are suggested (put pyrex by heat duct for fan action and to reduce humidity) and i pencil erase motion/whipped this batch till my wrist got sore

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
next morning check my hash i made last nite, and its def more stable from whipping and heat and drying and all the things i did that yall suggested. thanks!
def still a lil sticky, tacky, and pully stretchy; but i can pull a peice off, roll it in a lil ball and not get any stuck to my fingers, sweeet
it still sticks to just about anything it comes into contact with, but not fingers.... i like some sticky-ness so it will actually stay on the dabber. still wondering how the chalky consistency is achieved and like a playdough feeling which mine lacks, acting more like silly puddy instead.

foaf

Veteran
its all about the purge. I personally dont find humidity is an issue, or if it is I haven't caught on to that fact. I live in the most humid place on earth and keep all my stuff in a humid environment.

If I dont purge much, its gooey, if I store that in a sealed vial, its stays gooey forever. If I keep it in an open container, it slowly gets hard. If I purge it for a long time at first, it is hard from the start.

Things that speed purge are heat, vacuum, airflow, surface area, and (well it doesn't speed it) time.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks foaf for chiming in on that, ive been vac purging and lightly stirring and it turned out very nice, breaks clean if pulled hard and pulls long strechies if pulled slowly. turned out very nicely last batch

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the key

the key

ok, latest batch turned out very proper and i think ive discovered the secret for my process:
vac purge for days.
leaving the pyrex dish with all the oil basically fully purged in the vac chamber for days. apply low heat (like set it on top of the fridge or heat vent or low heat from a heat gun). Im using a food saver and the attatchment plastic container
picture.php

the finished product is not shatter, but a nice budder, can touch it and form it into any shape, will not stick to fingers no matter how long its held, altho will get softer in contact with fingers,

this time i did the math and did roughly 100g of dry sift keif (made w 220 bag this time but would prefer to use a lil finerr with 3 cans of butane and yeilded about 20g of BHO.
picture.php

im happy and will continue to do do dry ice sift before butane and vac purge for long periods, applying heat to it the entire process. honestly, i didnt stir this batch very hard and will try the next without any stirring and report, i suspect that whipping and stirring is just a quick substitute for a proper purge....
also ive been reading that it takes just 30 mins to make a batch of bho (in high times) and i think thats misleading because the purge is the most important part (aside from NOT blowing urself up), and it takes longer that 30 mins....

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
anyone else getting flashes of this workbench engulfed in fire?

also, you applied to high of a heat, thats why its so dark, stay under 130 degrees....

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
def kept the temp below 130 the whole time, and no fire/sparks anyplace near the workbench.... :)

SacredBreh

AFTER...... all butane evaporated......

AFTER...... all butane evaporated......

I take a blow dryer to it...... let sit over night to room air as long as it is not raining or snowing (high humidity) then blow dry again then another over night. Usually shatters as scrapped up so sometimes heat a little with blow dryer to scrape but then cools to like those flat jolly rancher type fire sticks.

Usually do the BHO outside in a water bath at 120-140f until nothing but honey.

Peace

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this time i did the math and did roughly 100g of dry sift keif (made w 220 bag this time but would prefer to use a lil finerr with 3 cans of butane and yeilded about 20g of BHO.

also ive been reading that it takes just 30 mins to make a batch of bho (in high times) and i think thats misleading because the purge is the most important part (aside from NOT blowing urself up), and it takes longer that 30 mins....

Nice experiment bro!

20% yield from kief seems super low. Could you outline your extraction process?

I heartily agree that 30 minutes isn't enought time to include an adequate purge, using a conventional column at atmospheric pressure. Maybe in heaven or other places with a more rarified atmosphere.

I can however install a 12" column on my recycle system and extract a fully purged BHO oleoresin in 30 minutes using a rarified atmosphere, as I currently do a 24" column in 45 minutes, while averaging greater than 20% oil yield by weight running bud.

Attached is a picture of a -29-5 Hg vacuum purge on the oil from a 24" column.

Attachments

• 24 inch  Column extraction after purge.jpg
    24 inch Column extraction after purge.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Latest posts