What's new

BHO Help!!!

Ok so i tried my hand at making some BHO OIL. I used 26.grams of some freshly dried flowers. I got a Borcilite or how ever you say/spell it glass tube with 3 no bleach coffee filtrers with a 200 mesh screen over that I shot 2 cans of Neon X5 Tane threw it the larger cans dont know exact size. Any way I put a piece of filter in first before packing tube so nothing blows back witch I belive was a bad idea looked like most of the tane hit the filter and ran down the sides of tube I may be wrong but thats how it looked to me. My question is when was done I got about 1 1/2 grams oil. witch I thought i would have little more then that anyway I noticed when I empty tube the bud still had trichomes on it and I noticed the wall of the tube was covered with trichomes isnt the point of this process to strip all the trichomes is this normal? Should my tube look like this, when done? what am I doing wrong? I packed the tube pretty tight with a stick but seems like i should of or could of got more finish product out of this.

montroller

You can still visibly see trichs because it doesn't strip the whole head just the goodies from inside leaving it looking almost furry.

It sounds like you didn't pack the tube evenly and the butane channeled down the outside of the tube. Try repacking the tube a little tighter and focus on doing it evenly. You shouldn't have too much of an issue rerunning the material if most of it wasn't touched, just make sure to let the material dry the excess butane from the previous run.

jump117

Veteran
You can still visibly see trichs because it doesn't strip the whole head just the goodies from inside leaving it looking almost furry.

You think that the solvent washes resinous filling from inside
and leaves the empty capsule that looks as untouched,
and the observer mistakenly thinks empty shell for the whole head?

Such assumption has already been expressed recently.

Just because u see trichs doesnt mean they are still viable and have resins/oil in them. Butane pulls resins, not trichs. What ur seeing is trich carcasses.

In my opinion, this is simply impossible.
I would like to know what observations give you a reason for this assumption.

Cuticle, which forms the shell of the head dissolves along with the resin.

Never seen an empty shell, and do not think that's possible.

:thank you:

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
I believe the waxy shell of the trichome head to be dissolved along with and mixed with the resins within.

How would a solvent just break the shell and dissolve the inner resins without dissolving the shell?

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
You think that the solvent washes resinous filling from inside
and leaves the empty capsule that looks as untouched,
and the observer mistakenly thinks empty shell for the whole head?

Such assumption has already been expressed recently.

:thank you:

Much agreed, never understood the reasoning behind this belief.:thank you:

vertigo0007

Always doubted that theory, but had no specific basis for my doubt. On the other hand, i have, first hand, soaked dry ice hash in butane and it definetely didnt all dissolve. Maybe i did it wrong but there was definetely what seemed like trich skins or shells left behind. Like ragged out cellulose. What was that stuff, if not trich 'shells' 'carcasses' etc? Just stalks?

Bluewidow

A quick view before and after at 100x's will show you the heads are gone. As far as getting 1.5 grams from a tube, unless it was bunk herb, there was alot more in there. Pack as tight as you can, while still being able to push a little bit of air through, when u blow through it.

montroller

Admittedly I have never used a microscope to check ran buds but I have noticed that after running even tightly packed buds that there is something left where the trichs used to be. They look different almost like wet fur, but I guess that is just the stalks? That would make sense if that's the case.

I think its funny, how can you believe butane will get inside the trich head to extract the oil? The same way it gets inside the head disproves the theory, if tane is able to dissolve ANY of the "shell" to get the innards then it would simply dissolve the entire thing.... why wouldn;t it?

Illogical completely.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
300ml of tane to an oz of sugar trim. Not sure on the rationto flowers. Either the herb wasnt too triched out or you didnt blast enough tane. Was the oil light or dark. How did you purge it? Extra details help.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
1.5 grams is a low yield for 26 grams of flowers, so ostensibly you are leaving some behind. Fully extracted material will have only the stalks and hairs showing, with the capitate heads all gone, so a microscopic exam is still the best way to test that I've found.

How did you prepare your material for extraction? How did you insert the first coffee filter to prevent blowback?

vertigo0007

300ml of tane to an oz of sugar trim. Not sure on the rationto flowers. Either the herb wasnt too triched out or you didnt blast enough tane. Was the oil light or dark. How did you purge it? Extra details help.

I used this ratio for years, but no longer. I find the less 'tane i use the better the final product. Now i only run the 'tane until it the runoff is starting to run clear. Then by the time the last little bit dribbles out, from back pressure, its almost crystal clear.

Anybody use silpats to store their oil between? Saw several people in a cup video that have patties in between silpats for storage.

vertigo0007

No no no no no no! The result will be oil that tastes and smells like pure mercaptan! Absolutely do not use that fucked up shit!

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Always doubted that theory, but had no specific basis for my doubt. On the other hand, i have, first hand, soaked dry ice hash in butane and it definetely didnt all dissolve. Maybe i did it wrong but there was definetely what seemed like trich skins or shells left behind. Like ragged out cellulose. What was that stuff, if not trich 'shells' 'carcasses' etc? Just stalks?

Alot of people seem confused as to why their mechanical extract doesn't fully dissolve. If one were to expect almost complete dissolving of a mechanical hash it would have to be pure resin heads, the stalk, cellulose dust are what usually remain after the resins have dissolved.

I've tried smoking this contaminate after questioning did I get it all and while it has familiar smell it has no effect.

How was the quality of the dry ice hash? I've never seen or heard of the process creating a fullmelt product superior to water hash or traditional dry sift. Most of the dry ice hash I've seen looks to be atleast 70% contaminate, perhaps even more.

5tickynubz

X 3 on that butane. I saw that shit popping up for cheap so I bought a can to check out since I couldn't seem to find any info on it. Mirror test was ok but good god did that shit stink. It might be ok for filling cheap lighters.

It was really light yellow at first then I ran it again and it was much darker the darker stuff hardened up looked just like that amber glass