What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bho Disasters (PLEASE READ!)

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.gjsentinel.com/news/blo...cle_39c9e82c-9c61-11e8-876b-10604b9f6eda.html

Police: Fire was caused by hash oil operation
THE GRAND JUNCTION DAILY SENTINEL, Blotter, Aug. 10, 2018

A fire that ripped through a residence near North Avenue and Interstate 70 Business Loop on Jan. 4, 2017, was caused because the trailer's resident was making marijuana concentrate with butane and an explosion resulted.

Thomas Denton, 58, was burned on his face and arms and told emergency responders that evening that he "had been cooking with propane and it blew up," according to an affidavit for his arrest issued in June.

Investigators said they found a makeshift marijuana extraction system in the room where the fire did the most damage.

Evidentiary items collected include a glass Coke bottle with the bottom removed, a cap on top with a screen and raw marijuana, butane, other raw marijuana, and a pressure cooker, among numerous other items believed to be connected to butane hash oil extraction systems, according to the Mesa County Sheriff's Office.

Denton was advised on possible charges including unlicensed manufacturing of marijuana concentrate and fourth-degree arson in court on Thursday, and was issued a personal-recognizance bond.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://patch.com/california/capitola/butane-honey-oil-manufacturing-blame-soquel-explosion

3 Injured During Explosion In Illegal Butane Honey Oil Lab
The Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office said a man inside the home smoked marijuana and likely sparked the explosion.
By Autumn Johnson, Patch National Staff | Jul 11, 2018 7:05 pm ET | Updated Jul 12, 2018 9:50 am ET

SANTA CRUZ COUNTY, CA — The Sheriff's Office Special Enforcement Team is investigating an explosion in a Soquel home Tuesday afternoon. Deputies said the man renting the home on Main Street likely sparked the explosion when he started smoking marijuana inside the house, which was being used as a space to illegally manufacture butane honey oil.

The man, whose name has not yet been released, and two others in the home suffered "significant injuries" during the explosion and were taken to nearby hospitals, authorities said.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 9.33.25 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 9.33.25 AM.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 9.33.37 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 9.33.37 AM.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 51

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Assuming they had forced ventilation through the pop up garage, and the surrounding area was cleared of brush, this is one of the safest illegal operations I've seen pictures of, nasty assortment of guns..

https://www.ksbw.com/article/dollar40000-butane-honey-oil-lab-found-in-aptos/22703557

$40,000 butane honey oil lab found in Aptos
Christopher Salas, Updated: 10:20 PM PDT Aug 10, 2018

The lab was found in the woods on the 1000 block of Cathedral Drive.
Santa Cruz County Sheriff Sargent Brian Cleveland said, ' we got a call from an alert community member up on Cathedral, on the 1000 block of Cathedral in Aptos about a vehicle that was being loaded with large black bags which the neighbor believed was marijuana."

Cleveland said when deputies arrived on the property they immediately found numerous butane cans, marijuana and butane honey oil on a table at the edge of the property.

Cleveland said deputies stayed on scene overnight until detectives arrived with a search warrant the next day.

The sheriff's office discovered 3,000 pounds of marijuana, 25 pounds of processed honey oil, 8 firearms some of which were illegally modified, ammo, cash and the closed loop butane honey oil system worth approximately $40,000.

Cleveland said it was a 'very sophisticated and dangerous system' that was operated out of a 20x10' pop-up garage. He said 'they had a platform built in the side of the hill' and 'a pulley system to transport their product'.

According to Cleveland, in order to take the system apart, "We (Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office) had to call in a contract company in to dismantle along with environmental health and some other people."

Butane honey oil labs are extremely dangerous and a number of them have exploded in Santa Cruz county over the years.

Cleveland says with the size and location of this lab, "The explosion would've have been pretty large. It would've caused a large fire in a residential area that's heavily wooded."

The sheriff's office has issued arrest warrants for two unidentified Aptos residents they say are responsible for running the lab. The Sheriff's Office says the two men are 24 and 25 years old and they were renting the property.

In a statement, sheriff Jim Hart said, "I am appreciative of the alert community member who called this in and for the quick response from my deputy sheriffs. We all have to be vigilant to protect our neighborhoods from the hazards this kind of lab can cause.”

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 2.48.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 2.48.38 PM.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Mengsk

I wanted to be very careful mentioning this as I understand it's a burgeoning industry too. Under safe conditions the process is real industrial engineering I would say. However running pressurized flammable gas through pipes and vessels and a recovery pump, definitely sounds like danger is involved. Enough to make me fully reconsider bubble hash or whatever else clean and safe is out there.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just noticed I mistakenly posted up the most recent BHO explosion news stories in the wrong thread, rather than repost them, here's a link (post #'s 162-165,)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=212613&page=17

Much better here in the US, here's a story from Canada,

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...t-illegal-diy-cannabis-derivatives/ar-BBPPJiM

Police worried about illegal DIY cannabis derivatives
The Canadian Press, Bill Graveland, 2 days ago

CALGARY - Alberta law enforcement officials say they are worried that the legalization of marijuana could lead to potentially explosive consequences for users taking a do-it-yourself approach to making cannabis derivatives at home.

Just over a month ago, Canadians were given the right to purchase dried and fresh cannabis and unconcentrated forms of cannabis oil.

It is likely to be another year before concentrates will be legalized.

"What's going to happen — and this is just my prediction — is that people are going to do a butane hash extraction at home and they're going to blow themselves up," said Sgt. Guy Pilon, clandestine lab co-ordinator with the Edmonton Police Service.

"We've had a number of those in the recent past. People blow themselves up trying to make this weed oil."

Pilon said before cannabis was legalized, Edmonton police dealt with six butane hash oil labs. He expects many Canadians might want to experiment and attempt to make their own with the pot that they can now purchase at a store.

"It's butane honey oil, so it's not hash. It's a weed oil. It's a golden- coloured syrup and from that they can take it and create shatter which is a really potent concentrate."

Sometimes described as the "crack of marijuana," shatter is a hash oil concentrate made by using butane to extract resin with high concentrations of THC from a marijuana plant. The name refers to the end product which looks like a sheet of toffee.

A small amount of the drug is dabbed on a heated surface and inhaled or smoked in a pipe.

Because butane is used, a simple spark can create an explosion.

"With the regulation of cannabis and the decriminalization of it, one aspect that we need to focus on is public education," said Calgary police Insp. Kevin Forsen with the community support section.

"People can go onto the internet and read how to do it. Nobody's going to post how dangerous it is or very few people are going to do it."

Forsen points out that people messing around with butane at home put not only themselves at risk but others living nearby.

"Those are extremely dangerous processes and there is that risk," he said.

"When you look at shatter, the amount of THC that's in it can run up to between 90 and 95 per cent, so it's very highly concentrated and that might be something the illicit market would want to capitalize on right now."

Alberta's justice minister hadn't heard about police concerns, but said they appear legitimate and she is willing to discuss the possibility of more education.

Kathleen Ganley said the government has a plan in place but knew there would be bumps along the road once cannabis became legal.

"There was always an expectation that was going to have to fluctuate somewhat to deal with unforeseen circumstances," she said.

"This is the first time since Prohibition on alcohol was lifted that we've dealt with something that's a legalization of this scale, so I expect that we will have to respond to those issues."

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
good to see someone is still working on this project. nice work. really it's time to introduce everyone to squishing bubble hash instead of using risky extraction methods.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
good to see someone is still working on this project. nice work. really it's time to introduce everyone to squishing bubble hash instead of using risky extraction methods.

I know this is not the right thread. But which bubble tek is the most efficient if Im going to squish it (preserving the most terps)? The only thing I have done with bubble bags is dry ice shake shake hash.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://fox40.com/2018/12/02/modesto-man-badly-burned-after-early-morning-backyard-explosion/

Modesto Man Badly Burned after Early Morning Backyard Explosion
POSTED 6:05 PM, DECEMBER 2, 2018, BY KRISTI GROSS, UPDATED AT 04:09PM, DECEMBER 2, 2018

MODESTO -- One man was hospitalized from being burned in a Modesto backyard after an explosion lit up the night sky -- and it was all caught on a neighbor's security camera.

"I went into the backyard and I just hear a guy back there screaming 'help,'" said Jennifer Bartlett. "And I was like, 'What do we do?' And then ashes and embers were just flying at us in our house."

Bartlett lives directly across the alley from the shed that went up in flames just after 2:30 a.m. Friday. It was her Ring security camera that caught the blast on video.

“The explosion didn't wake me up. It was the screaming, the hollering and even the fire noise. The kind of like crackling noise woke me up,” Bartlett said.

Firefighters rushed to the scene on Renee Drive to find a large shed fully engulfed in flames.

"The cops came banging saying, 'We need you guys to leave the home, it's so close,'" Bartlett said.

The Modesto Fire Department says one man was injured in the blast and was rushed to a nearby hospital before being transferred to a burn unit with second- and third-degree burns.

"The roof flew off of the shed, the sides flew," Bartlett said. "I don't know how he was even as OK as he was."

Firefighters quickly knocked out the flames, keeping it contained to just the shed.

On Sunday, piles of charred debris were all that was left as cleanup began.

"Being out there and seeing the flame, I was amazed that it stayed just to that shed," Bartlett expressed.

The Modesto Bee reports the Stanislaus Regional Fire Investigation Unit determined the fire was the result of a butane hash or honey oil lab.

"Nothing really surprises me about anything so, I mean, because you never really know what's going on in anybody's life, in anybody's home, anybody's anywhere," Bartlett said.

Bartlett says she feels sorry for the man who was injured but knows it could have been much worse.

"I still feel sad for him regardless," Bartlett stated.

The guy had the common sense to go out back in a shed to extract, why didn't he think to ventilate the shed? A few $20 box fans from Home Depot placed in the doorway and an open window at the other end would have saved this guy's ass. Don't these guys get woozy extracting in such a dense cloud of butane?

Attachments

• P1010217.jpg
    P1010217.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 41
  • P1040267.jpg
    P1040267.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 53
  • fullsizeoutput_2c3.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_2c3.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
I know this is not the right thread. But which bubble tek is the most efficient if Im going to squish it (preserving the most terps)? The only thing I have done with bubble bags is dry ice shake shake hash.

the tech that leaves the material in water for the shortest time possible is the best for keeping the most terps. but of course dry sift works just as well if not better then bubble hash to squish and keeps it's terps well. but for bubble i would say using a bubbleator, good starting material and correct procedures gets the best results

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/9032041-181/drug-lab-blast-rocks-larkfield?ref=most&sba=AAS

Drug lab blast rocks Larkfield neighborhood
RANDI ROSSMANN THE PRESS DEMOCRAT | December 4, 2018, 10:29AM | Updated 13 hours ago.

A Larkfield man remained in custody Tuesday morning, suspected of having a garage drug lab that caused a small explosion.

The loud noise generated 911 calls about 10:30 p.m Sunday, bringing Sonoma County deputies and firefighters to the Corbett Circle address. Deputies found Thomas Tuttle, 64, outside the house, reeling from the explosion, sheriff’s Sgt. Spencer Crum said Tuesday.

“Tuttle was wet, disheveled and confused from the blast,” Crum said in a news release.

The man was living in the garage, where deputies said they found empty butane canisters, marijuana and other equipment, indicating a hash oil lab. Components also were in the side yard, where the explosion occurred, Crum said.

Deputies found a blown‑apart freezer, where some of the hash oil was being kept, Crum said. A spark from the fridge motor could have ignited the gas inside. The force also destroyed part of a backyard fence.

Butane is used during the extraction process, taking oil from cannabis. The highly unstable butane is known to explode and start fires.

Three other people were at the house. They were evacuated, and deputies determined they had no connection to the lab.

Corbett Circle is off Faught Road, near Old Redwood Highway.

Deputies arrested Tuttle on suspicion of making hash oil. He was taken to the Sonoma County Jail with bail set at $100,000.

Attachments

• dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls.jpeg
    dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 60

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/honey-oil-lab-explodes-in-california-city-tuesday

Honey-oil lab explodes in California City Tuesday
by BakersfieldNow staff Tuesday, December 4th 2018

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KBAK/KBFX) — A house explosion rocked the 7800 block of Fir Avenue in California City early Tuesday morning.

The fire and police departments responded around 3:45 a.m. and several secondary explosions sent projectiles, that turned out to be pressurized cans of butane, out the windows.

Crews from Kern County Fire and Edwards Air Force Base assisted the local department.

Investigators found evidence of an illegal honey-oil operation inside the home.

Honey oil, also known as hash oil, weed oil or dab, is a concentrated residue made by blasting marijuana plants with highly flammable butane gas.

No one was inside the home and no suspects have been arrested.

Environmental health personnel were working to remove the chemicals from the home, along with 3,000 bottles of butane.

Attachments

• 5c832e0a-ea54-4bb9-b216-78d8560700fd-large16x9_HoneyOillabexplosion.jpg
    5c832e0a-ea54-4bb9-b216-78d8560700fd-large16x9_HoneyOillabexplosion.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 51

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/local/article223070145.html

Woman, child hurt in suspected hash oil explosion
BY WENDY CULVERWELL DECEMBER 13, 2018 04:46 PM, UPDATED DECEMBER 13, 2018 06:21 PM

KENNEWICK, WA - Kennewick police say a woman attempting to illegally make hash or marijuana oil in a bathroom ignited an explosion that hurt her and possibly one of four children in the house.

Police and firefighters were called to the 2300 block of West 15th Place at 12:35 p.m. Thursday.

Sgt. Aaron Clem said responders found Lenne Parson and four elementary-aged children in the back yard and a small fire burning in the bathroom.

Parsons was allegedly using flammable gas which ignited, causing the explosion and resulting fire, he said.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.keyt.com/news/crime/explosion-in-vandenberg-village-connected-to-drug-lab/928502486

Explosion in Vandenberg Village connected to drug lab
By: Danny Max, Oscar Flores Posted: Dec 13, 2018 03:12 AM PST Updated: Dec 13, 2018 05:52 PM PST

VANDENBERG VILLAGE, Calif. Authorities say an explosion that rocked a Vandenberg Village neighborhood shortly after 2:30 a.m. Dec. 13, is related to a hash oil drug lab.

The Santa Barbara County Sheriffs Office says a 57-year-old man was badly burned -- his condition unknown. That same person was, or had been, extracting hash oil in a makeshift clandestine lab inside a detached shed, according to investigators.

The Sheriff's Office explains that the process of extracting hash oil is highly flammable and dangerous. In this case, an error occurred and it resulted in a large explosion, said the Sheriff's Office. Not only did the shed explode, but the residential home was damaged in the incident.

The burn victim's spouse managed to escape the blast without injury.

Investigators collected a large amount of processed marijuana, hash oil, and other forms of concentrated cannabis from the property, according to the Sheriff's Office.

The incident occurred in the 3900 block of Marion Court.

Authorities are encouraging the public to report any activities potentially involving marijuana cultivation or extraction in a residential area by calling the Sheriff's anonymous tipline at 805-681-4171.

INITIAL INFORMATION

Residents in one Vandenberg Village neighborhood in the Lompoc Valley awoke suddenly early Thursday morning to a massive explosion and fire that critically injured one man.

Santa Barbara County Fire and County Sheriff investigators are looking into the cause of the explosion and fire at a backyard shed on Marion Court along Aldebaran Avenue in Vandenberg Village.

Cell phone video taken by a neighbor on Marion Court shows the raging fire that threatened two homes on both sides of the shed fire.

"I just heard a big explosion", said neighbor Khrystal Jure who took the cell phone video, "I saw some fire and a lot of yelling and screaming to make sure the people were okay who where on the inside."

After the initial, powerful blast that ignited the fire, there were secondary explosions as firefighters arrived on scene.

Santa Barbara County Fire Department engines backed up by Lompoc City Fire Department engines responded.

"We were evacuated just as a precaution because there were several other mini explosions, but it was just scary", Jure said.

The massive early morning blast on Marion Court shook homes all around the surrounding Vandenberg Village neighborhood.

"I awoke to the sound of the explosion", said neighbor Bob Hebert, "shortly after the explosion I heard popping sounds."

An unidentified adult male was found at the scene with serious burn injuries.

He was expected to be airlifted to a regional burn center for treatment.

The explosion and fire resulted in considerable damage to a neighboring home.

The cause of the explosion and fire, as well as the secondary explosions, is under investigation by Santa Barbara County Fire Department and the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department.

Next door neighbors, including owners of the home damaged by the explosion and fire, declined to comment on camera on the early morning incident.

"I mean we're a close community here", Khrystal Jure said, "I hope, you know, that it's safe, that's why we bought our house here for, and definitely we want to know who our neighbors are."

According to the Santa Barbara Fire Department, a shed caught fire and exploded damaging two homes. One resident suffered critical injuries, a second resident suffered minor juries. Both victims were taken to area hospitals. Multiple homes were evacuated as a precaution.

As of 3:08 a.m., the explosions had stopped as firefighters started to douse the fire.

Attachments

• 5c12b06dbc7e8.image.jpg
    5c12b06dbc7e8.image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Hash Oil Lab_1544752138040.JPG_25249121_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
    Hash Oil Lab_1544752138040.JPG_25249121_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 48

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://www.sgvtribune.com/2018/12/...71jakfvbh_0vs7mvlhhahtcs7zulomuayeauthorities

Authorities investigate after a man was injured in marijuana ‘honey oil’ lab explosion in El Monte
By JONAH VALDEZ | jvaldez@scng.com | San Gabriel Valley Tribune
PUBLISHED: December 20, 2018 at 8:16 pm | UPDATED: December 21, 2018 at 7:03 pm

Authorities have launched an investigation into a marijuana honey oil lab operating in an El Monte garage after an explosion at the lab left one man injured on Wednesday, Dec. 19.

Just after 4 p.m., El Monte police and Los Angeles County fire officials responded to a call about a structure fire at a house on 11020 Elliott Avenue, El Monte Police Sgt. Richard Luna said in a statement. Firefighters and officers found a garage on the property enveloped in flames.

The resident, Jose Luis Fernandez, 42 was injured by the fire and was transported to a local hospital, Luna said.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames in about 20 minutes.

Arson investigators determined the source of the fire was an explosion in the garage, which had been converted into a butane honey oil lab. Honey oil, also known as hash oil, is a form of liquefied THC that is extracted from cannabis.

After a search warrant was obtained, a lab team entered the lab and removed hazardous materials and evidence for their investigation, Luna said. No arrests have been made.

Others will have to continue this thread as I'm leaving the cannabis oil extraction movement due to my inability to find affordable housing in SoCal.

My thanks to everyone for the opportunity to contribute, best regards, John E Schuyler

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
https://www.sgvtribune.com/2018/12/...71jakfvbh_0vs7mvlhhahtcs7zulomuayeauthorities

Authorities investigate after a man was injured in marijuana ‘honey oil’ lab explosion in El Monte
By JONAH VALDEZ | jvaldez@scng.com | San Gabriel Valley Tribune
PUBLISHED: December 20, 2018 at 8:16 pm | UPDATED: December 21, 2018 at 7:03 pm

Authorities have launched an investigation into a marijuana honey oil lab operating in an El Monte garage after an explosion at the lab left one man injured on Wednesday, Dec. 19.

Just after 4 p.m., El Monte police and Los Angeles County fire officials responded to a call about a structure fire at a house on 11020 Elliott Avenue, El Monte Police Sgt. Richard Luna said in a statement. Firefighters and officers found a garage on the property enveloped in flames.

The resident, Jose Luis Fernandez, 42 was injured by the fire and was transported to a local hospital, Luna said.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames in about 20 minutes.

Arson investigators determined the source of the fire was an explosion in the garage, which had been converted into a butane honey oil lab. Honey oil, also known as hash oil, is a form of liquefied THC that is extracted from cannabis.

After a search warrant was obtained, a lab team entered the lab and removed hazardous materials and evidence for their investigation, Luna said. No arrests have been made.

Others will have to continue this thread as I'm leaving the cannabis oil extraction movement due to my inability to find affordable housing in SoCal.

My thanks to everyone for the opportunity to contribute, best regards, John E Schuyler

thanks for contributing and hope to see you around again when you settle some where else. maybe colorado?

Spinme

In arcata cali when I was a young lad a certain person was blasting in a hotel room and it popped.
We spent the rest of the week scoring him opiats of all flavors as he was too scared to go to the doctor as it looked like he was in a meth lab accident or something

Splatoid

No Doubt

No Doubt

Hearing all these horrible stories honestly has me reconsider blasting period, and I ALWAYS blast outdoors in a well ventilated area.

I always make sure my pockets are empty and that conditions are not favorable for any static electricity, but even then it makes me nervous as I feel like I'm holding a glass bomb in my hands.
I have read a lot about this and I have decided not to even consider it. I am fairly accident prone because of hyperactivity and I/m 65. But I just can't slow down enough to be careful so this type of thing is a no go. But the final product looks nice for sure.
Good post to have on the forum.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Moment cannabis oil maker, 36, blows up flats in devastating blast that one neighbour escaped by jumping onto TRAMPOLINE - as he is jailed for more than eight years along with his girlfriend

James Toogood, 36, had been using butane gas to produce cannabis hash oil
The massive explosion caused £260,000 of damage to four properties
Toogood claimed that the explosion was the result of him 'just cooking' at home

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ht-years-causing-devastating-flats-blast.html