What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHO Assistance Required

Well did the extraction today. Went through about 8 cans of butane and 80gs of trim and only yieled around 1.6gs of oil. :( So thats only around .2gs oil per can per 10gs of trim. even know it says the okief is suppose to hold 22 grams?? I filled the okief as much as i could i never pressed it down. I tapped the side to make it settle. The oil is a darkish colour. It is fairly thick, it is also insanely sticky!! Can be very hard to handle. It smokes rather nicely. A nice up high. Not as potent as I was hoping though. I am thinking I will have to try it with bud and see how that goes.

It is so good!! Im afraid if I keep on smoking this stuff I will never want to smoke buds again!! I just wish my yields were a little bit higher. :(

jd4083

Veteran
Well did the extraction today. Went through about 8 cans of butane and 80gs of trim and only yieled around 1.6gs of oil. :( So thats only around .2gs oil per can per 10gs of trim. even know it says the okief is suppose to hold 22 grams?? I filled the okief as much as i could i never pressed it down. I tapped the side to make it settle. The oil is a darkish colour. It is fairly thick, it is also insanely sticky!! Can be very hard to handle. It smokes rather nicely. A nice up high. Not as potent as I was hoping though. I am thinking I will have to try it with bud and see how that goes.

Glad you had a good, safe first run! Enjoy that stuff but do it carefully, as you'e probably already noticed once you start smoking a lot of oil, after you get over the initial phase of just being wrecked for 3 hours every time you take a hoot, your tolerance will fuckin skyrocket :laughing: I have to take 2-3 week breaks from oil just so I don't make my already outrageous ounce-a-week habit + concentrates double that, lol

What exactly did you use for the BHO and how was it prepared prior to extraction? Trim incl. fans & whatnot? BHO extraction with anything less than very close sugar trim and popcorn kinda blows in the flavor/quality/yield department. I save my fans and close sugar trim for water extraction or QWISO and throw the popcorn/whole buds in for BHO.

I used Mainly fan leaves and some bud trim and a little bit of stem. The material was simply dried and that is it. I guess I will have to locate a source for some cheap bulk buds I can BHO.

jd4083

Veteran
that explains why the buzz and yield left something to be desired man...now ya know...if you can get ahold of good quality lightly bricked mexi or appalachian "mid-grade" try using that, you can produce some great quality amber glass with "mids" as long they're not dirt weed :tiphat:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used Mainly fan leaves and some bud trim and a little bit of stem. The material was simply dried and that is it. I guess I will have to locate a source for some cheap bulk buds I can BHO.

CBDs and CBN's are not only not psychoactive, but they modulate the effect of the THC present.

Fan leaves, while killer for pain, lower the psychoactive properties of the oil. If you are looking for those properties, you might consider running your fan leaves separately.

As has been noted, you can also build tolerance fast with concentrates and totally lose your ability to experience a euphoric high.

GW

I wish I could get my hands of some of that cheap mexi brick or "mids" I hear about. But alas I live in Australia! I can only really get my hands on good buds. I dont know anyone who has low quality cheap stuff. I think I may just have to splurge and use some good buds. I hope I can yield a fair bit. On the okief instructions it reckons you can yield 3-6gs from a oz of high grade. It also says you can yield 1g on fan leaf..... So who knows really.

Oh I also ran the rest of that trim today. Got 1.24gs out of 109gs of material. Pretty shitty!! Meh better then nothing I suppose!!

jd4083

Veteran
Try doing a QWISO extraction with any trim you might have left man! Just a quick dunk and shake for about 10-15 seconds in 91% or 99% isopropyl alcohol followed by a drain and you'll get much better yield without sacrificing much in quality at all.

I average about 12-15%/first run for whole frosty buds with BHO, so don't let your ~1% yield turn you off to bho dude!

Try uping the amount of butane you use.

I was only using 1 can with my honeybee extractor with approx 30 grams of cannabis and I too was disappointed with the amount of bho.

I ran another can and extracted about the same amount the second time around. I now use 2 cans of 300 ml per 30 grams of cannabis to average that 7 to 15% I was looking for. There is no sacrifice of quality because I run the 2 cans, one after another and then fully purge. Clear, sticky and potent!

jd4083

Veteran
Try uping the amount of butane you use.

I was only using 1 can with my honeybee extractor with approx 30 grams of cannabis and I too was disappointed with the amount of bho.

I ran another can and extracted about the same amount the second time around. I now use 2 cans of 300 ml per 30 grams of cannabis to average that 7 to 15% I was looking for. There is no sacrifice of quality because I run the 2 cans, one after another and then fully purge. Clear, sticky and potent!

IMO, the only reason you're seeing more yield is because you're leaving more butane in the product. I use 1 normal can of vector for ~30 grams of buds and I can assure you that 99% of oil heads who know what they're doing will agree that 1 can per ounce is the way to go, any more is too much.

jump117

Veteran
IMO, the only reason you're seeing more yield is because you're leaving more butane in the product. I use 1 normal can of vector for ~30 grams of buds and I can assure you that 99% of oil heads who know what they're doing will agree that 1 can per ounce is the way to go, any more is too much.
IMO, leaving an amount of butane in the product requires high pressure or low temperature,
otherwise it leaves only in form of bubbles inside bho,
the reason of seeing more yield is in extracting more resin with more solvent and longer extraction time,
try to use another can per your ~30 grams of buds and join the rest 1% :tiphat: of oil heads who know what they're doing.

IMO, the only reason you're seeing more yield is because you're leaving more butane in the product. I

Absolutely not!

My product is hard and fully purged without doubt.

The usage of an additional can of butane has no adverse affect on the extract, except for its affect on my wallet :)

No licking flame, butane pockets, air pockets or anomolies within my bho.

The gang at cannabis culture still advise me that it is some of the best bho that they have ever had but then I only use the best of the best bud for my product. Trim goes to dry sift.

jd4083

Veteran
IMO, leaving an amount of butane in the product requires high pressure or low temperature,
otherwise it leaves only in form of bubbles inside bho,
the reason of seeing more yield is in extracting more resin with more solvent and longer extraction time,
try to use another can per your ~30 grams of buds and join the rest 1% :tiphat: of oil heads who know what they're doing.

lol

sorry, I don't buy it. I appreciate the way you try to make things a little more detailed in your approach to oil-making, but this is layman's science IMO. 1 can/ounce is the standard for people who know how to make good oil, no way around that as far as I'm concerned...until proven otherwise, anyways . :thank you:

jump117

Veteran
what volume does occupy one ounce loaded into the extractor?:thank you:

thanx for the "layman" :wave:
99% who know what they're doing
picture.php