What's new

beta's Simple and Reliable Seed Germination Method

beta

Veteran
Starting older seeds can be challenging, so I've spent the last few years developing a simple and reliable method for consistently germinating them with as little fuss as possible. No more moldy seeds or fragile tangled roots on paper towels inside of ziplocks that you have to slowly and carefully open to check on - Just small, sterile, stackable, and secure containers that make it easy to monitor your progress. This should scale for any size garden.

To begin, you'll need a few things:

3.25oz portion cups with lids
Amazon
1676645927742.png

2.25" Cotton Rounds (I use Swisspers)
Amazon
1676646559945.png

A reliable temp / humidity sensor with phone notifications (I like SensorPush)
Amazon
1676646705975.png

Distilled water
1676646769427.png

Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (fresh bottle)
1676647093850.png

3ml pipette
Amazon
1676650305361.png

Directions:
  • Clean your hands and equipment - Sterility is key, especially with old seeds.
  • Set up the temp sensor to alert you if the temperature goes below 70F or above 80F.
  • Use the temp sensor to find somewhere dark that stays 70-80F consistently.
  • Combine 2 parts distilled water to 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide.
  • Put 1 cotton round in the bottom of a portion cup.
  • Fill the portion cup appx halfway with the H20/H202 solution you just made.
  • Drop your seeds in and close the lid. Soak for 12-24hrs in the dark at 70-80f.
  • Use the pipette to remove the excess solution.
  • Leave the seeds on top of the moist cotton round - Do not cover them.
  • Replace the lid, leave in a dark 70-80f space until they germinate (appx 24-48hrs).

Notes: You can optionally use fulvic acid and liquid seaweed extract at a rate of 0.5ml each per 100ml H20/H202 solution. For older seeds err toward 70F to slow down the pathogens. If the seeds haven't germinated at the end of 48 hours refill the portion container with fresh H20/H202 solution to rinse the seed, then remove the excess solution with a pipette and return to germination space. If you're starting multiple varieties be sure to label to the container and not the lid to avoid mix-ups. Once they have germinated use a clean spoon to transfer them from the container to your medium.

Temperature is key
1676657935845.png

Bottom's up!
1676651154864.png

After 12 hour soak
1676651314186.png

After 24hr germination
1676651327918.png

Last edited:

3rd-3yed

Veteran
Of course you can make a science project and buy all that stuff if you like... 👨‍🔬 ^^ I just need water and soil for my seeds and it's working fine. 🤷‍♂️
Maybe because you don't have old precious seeds in your collection that needs a steril germination protocol, almost everyone here know fresh seeds germinates easily without any additional help needed but that's not the point of the thread ^^

FLY-

Thank you for sharing, I'm struggling with my 5-year-old seeds not germinating. I noticed you mentioned "Combine 2 parts distilled water to 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide." Half a month ago, I soaked my seeds in tap water mixed with 10% hydrogen peroxide for two days, but they didn't sprout. (Was it because of the wrong ratio? Your ratio reaches 30%). I'm still trying, I've peeled off the seed coat and put them on a tissue paper, but they still haven't germinated. Is there any remedy? Thank you.

beta

Veteran
Thank you for sharing, I'm struggling with my 5-year-old seeds not germinating. I noticed you mentioned "Combine 2 parts distilled water to 1 part 3% hydrogen peroxide." Half a month ago, I soaked my seeds in tap water mixed with 10% hydrogen peroxide for two days, but they didn't sprout. (Was it because of the wrong ratio? Your ratio reaches 30%). I'm still trying, I've peeled off the seed coat and put them on a tissue paper, but they still haven't germinated. Is there any remedy? Thank you.
2:1 water to 3% H202 = 1% H202 (3%/3). I'd just get a bottle of the 3% stuff from the store to make it easier.

Outside of that temperature is the most important factor, make sure you have a good way to keep an eye on it. Good luck!

FLY-

2:1 water to 3% H202 = 1% H202 (3%/3). I'd just get a bottle of the 3% stuff from the store to make it easier.

Outside of that temperature is the most important factor, make sure you have a good way to keep an eye on it. Good luck!
I used 3% hydrogen peroxide and diluted it with 10 parts tap water. The temperature here is around 77 degrees Fahrenheit. Can I soak the seeds again? Thank you for your response.

beta

Veteran
I used 3% hydrogen peroxide and diluted it with 10 parts tap water. The temperature here is around 77 degrees Fahrenheit. Can I soak the seeds again? Thank you for your response.
That's waaaay too watered down, the H202 didn't do anything. I'd resoak if it was recent. You want 2 parts water, 1 part 3% H202.

Mudraya

i’m having some issues with damping off. was using 5ml of 30% per gallon to soak rockwool cubes with seed in them. germination rates are 100% but soon after breaking ground they perish. i’m assuming the 5ml was too weak? also what is the purpose of soaking them in the cups vs simply soaking the media with seeds inside (in my case rockwool)?

beta

Veteran
try sanding them before soaking ? cracking them before soaking i hope. i can visualize crushing them if the seeds softened...:badday: thanks for suggestions on this.:good:
Crack pre-soak. A lot of old seeds don't have the energy to break out of their shell and pre-cracking helps with that. I use needle nose locking pliers, you can just tighten the adjustment screw until you hear the shell crack.

It's a little risky so I wouldn't do it with all of them, but it's certainly worth trying. Good luck!

acespicoli

Better results lately seeds rinsed after the peroxide soak also in case of any mold its possible to re-soak with peroxide and rinse with distilled as often as necessary to prevent unwanted growths of damping off fuzzys
1687829124784.png

Prevent this from the start by removing the contaminates from the seeds coat,
1687829262670.png

Its interesting that clones are hard to get clean,
and the S1s the seed coats need to be cleaned of fungus and virus for a clean crop from clones

TMV the mosiac virus are some of the most common

Latest posts

Latest posts