What's new

Beste way to smoke cannabis for medical purpose with active charcoal?

Destroyer95

I am wondering about your experience using cannabis for medical purpose.
Of course I did some reading and a vaporizer is the cleanest option, but I love smoking. Not with tabacco, but pure in a pipe.

Now I am looking for a bong with the use of active charcoal as a filter. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I am wondering about your experience using cannabis for medical purpose.
Of course I did some reading and a vaporizer is the cleanest option, but I love smoking. Not with tabacco, but pure in a pipe.

Now I am looking for a bong with the use of active charcoal as a filter. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Get yourself a Jamaican "steam pipe/chalice", the is a ton of videos on Utube

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
It depends. I don't know what condition you are trying to fix, or which part of the cannabis plant you need. Here is my simplified way of thinking of ingesting cannabis, and how I do it.

Firstly, start with organic clean dope. Dope is leafy plant material (including chlorophyl) that we don't need, cannabis oils, and terpenes.

I vape off the terps using a Volcano Hybrid, through a whip. I heat @ 420*F for 15-20 secs, and take one power hit with the fan blowing. Then I dump the material into a container of ABV (Already Been vaped). It is spent as far as vaping is concerned. The material is odorless and slow to lose the goodies, as the oils stay put.

When that container is full, I make butter with it (plus some CBD flower and fresh pot), and then freeze the butter. I make cookies from the butter. Cookies are great medicine. A lot of un-needed plant material is tossed away after the butter is made. A lot of carbon, ash, and who knows what chemicals - all tossed away instead of ingested. This is where you are doing the most good, by not smoking or vaping that crap.

However... I have taken back up smoking joints, much to my lungs demise, so I can get a buzz refresh while away from the desktop vape machine. Vaping, because it is a quick process, mostly only releases terps, which are good for a quick rush and great relaxation. Plus I believe they help break down the oils that the joint left on the surface of my lungs. The cookies are a full body relaxation high, with lazyness, and lack of desire to do physical work a great side benefit. These work together, in a synergystic way.

Then there are strain considerations. I believe there are only a few types of oils, but there are a lot of terps. The terps are probably where the differences in "feeling" come from in strains (Indica vs Sativa). Vaping a gram (about a joint) in one hit, will have a real nice terp effect.

Let's break down the bong and active charcoal filter idea. The oils in smoke are not water soluble, but can be condensed to a thick sticky liquid, by the cool water. They then float on top and deposit on the bong wall at the waterline. On the way to the charcoal filter, some oil that made it through will condense in the whip tube, making it dark and sticky looking inside. More will condense in the charcoal, and perhaps some of the terps (which are lighter, and more easily evaporated, hydrocarbons) will get trapped there too. Not sure what remains to be inhaled. BTW, the whip tube on my 'cano is clean, with only a slight coat of light oils, and only at the first few inches.

I am about to buy a "Mighty" hand held vape, and a bunch of dosing capsules. It may keep me from smoking joints, which I mostly do for the portability. I can feel the oil stuck inside my lungs from the joints, and hack up a lot of liquid being made as the lungs try to expel that sticky crap. Sticky lungs are dropping my SPO2 level, and making me more prone to sleep apnea. The used material in the capsules will go into the ABV pile for butter.

Be careful not to let your medicine be your poison and start new troubles. So I am suggesting avoiding oiling up your lungs, and find another way to get the goodies.

goingrey

Yes. I don't have a bong anymore but I did this for years in the past. The charcoal works incredibly well at removing tars from the smoke, and the water catches any carbon dust. I used a ROOR activated carbon adapter that went between the downtube and the bowl. Also sometimes just carbon in the downtube without the adapter (more difficult to clean).

My reason was to smoke the biggest rips possible though. For medicinal use it may be wise to avoid combustion altogether, even if filtered, depending on the medical condition of course.