What's new

Best way to reflect light ?

basshead

White walls / Aluminium foil / MIRRORS etc.

I think using mirrors will be the best, what do you think about that :smoke:

bigleek

ICMag Donor
i like to white wash walls
if there is a problem with humidity it shows on the walls before the plants are effected

H

Huntington

The best is mylar but a close second is flat white paint. Considering the cost, hassle of installation and ease of messing it up (longevity) mylar is not worth the extra ooomph you get IMO/IME.

As for tinfoil and especially mirrors...lol.

ibjamming

Veteran
They sell panels at Walmart of foamcore. Just lightweight paper panels that can be stood up, duct taped ect for a couple bucks each. They are awesome. You can make a box of them, put them under the plants to reflect light up, curve them to reflect light anyway you want. Cheap, easy to get, easy to work with, and effective.

Can you explain more about these panels? Can you make a temporary "room" in a corner of a real room for say a cold night? Will they insulate? Where are they located, I've never seen them.

T

THC_Decapitator

I agree buy some bright flat white paint and go at it . mylar is a pain in the ass . panda film is handy if you dont like painting .
a mirrored grow room lol a buddy of mine loves his mirrors lol

H

Huntington

I agree buy some bright flat white paint and go at it . mylar is a pain in the ass . panda film is handy if you dont like painting .
a mirrored grow room lol a buddy of mine loves his mirrors lol
Ha ha...forgot about panda film as I've used it many times. It makes the cheapest, fastest, reasonably reflective walls there is in some instances. For a standing wall flat white paint but have put up barrier/temporary walls and here is where the panda film rocks. Lasts forever too.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
mirrors actually absorb some light. I use mylar and flat white walls.

mikeross

Do you guys think a glossy white paint would reflect more light than a flat white? I have always used Black/white poly in my rooms but with my next setup, reflective material isn't going to be a concern because I am going to be growing vertical. I was thinking of spraying my pot racks white just for the hell of it.

So why doesn't anyone use high gloss white paint? I assume flat white paint has been proven to be more reflective?

i have to disagree with mirrors absorbing light, i use mirrors to reflect light out of the corners and under the plant. it reflect light MUCH better than the white paint or aluminum.

R

Rysam

my whole room is covered in 3/4" R-board/celotex panels with the matte reflective stuff on 1 side. it works killer, is 13$ for a 4x8 sheet at lowes, and gives some sound and heat insulation (rated at R5). its a win win win deal for me.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
i have to disagree with mirrors absorbing light, i use mirrors to reflect light out of the corners and under the plant. it reflect light MUCH better than the white paint or aluminum.

I dont think mirrors absorb light either. I'm sure we've all used a small mirror to shine sunlight in our little brothers eyes (sorry little bro).

This is how I like to think of it.

Mirrors direct light in a very specific way, you just have to make sure that the mirror is aimed or you will miss.

Flat white surfaces diffuse light, but have little direction to guide the light.

So mebby we are going about it in the wrong way.. to simply chose one way.

Light manufacture companies have used dimpled aluminum reflectors.

- Less directional, than a flat surface.
- Dimples to diffuse the light.

So how about this.

White walls, with mylar in certian spots to reflect light?

R

Rysam

unfortunately "generic" mirrors poorly reflect light and are highly inefficient, its really not one of those debatable type topics.

think of this..
The mirror coating is on the back side of the glass so therefore the light loses intensity as it passes through the glass twice. then is subjected to the inverse sq. law. double whammy.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
unfortunately "generic" mirrors poorly reflect light and are highly inefficient, its really not one of those debatable type topics.

think of this..
The mirror coating is on the back side of the glass so therefore the light loses intensity as it passes through the glass twice. then is subjected to the inverse sq. law. double whammy.

Why is it not debatable?

I've measured reflected mirror light with my DSLR and it maxed out the settings for apeture and shutter speed. The mirror when aimed properly a textured white wall or even a matte white surface does not measure as high.

There is nothing spectacular about a signaling mirror either, and you can see those things a long distance.

The light reflected from a mirror is more focused. More light reaches the target. IF aimed properly.. The problem is aim really, the mirror can work against you if the angles are wrong. That is why I cannot recommend to use them. Not to mention they are heavy, expensive.
etc. But I'm not going to say get rid of them for people that just so happen to have them.

I personally am going to use foamcore with mylar on the top, to gather light and direct it back. In essence its a mirror. The room will be covered with white poly. (mebby, depends on my budget.)

Nice thing about foamcore, is that you can score the backside, just cutting through the paper and the uncut front acts like a hinge. So I have a surface that I can aim with by adjusting the angles.

Side note:

For many years I used foamcore for my LCD projector. It does have
great diffusion properties. So it gets a thumbs up for those of you wanting to scatter light, but its no reflective surface.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Why is it not debatable?

Because we're talking about the radiation the plant uses to grow with.... not the light that that camera and our eyes see as 'bright'. Even if it's a super-micro thin sheet of glass, it's still diminishing the intensity twice.

Read the threads on putting glass between your lamps and your ladies and you'll understand. No debate, mirrors suck. :D

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
ceiling white has a drop of raw umber. it isnt pure white. but close enough.

Is umber black? I watched a paint shop dude mix some bright white wall paint and it looked like he mixed in a tablespoon of black paint. It wasn't antique white either.:chin:

I've seen some of the titanium white paint that's supposed to be superior reflection. It comes in a small tube like artists paint and looks like it would be hard to apply. If I could find some in a can and was able to apply with a roller, I'd give it a try.

Latest posts

Latest posts