What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best way to plant landrace seeds directly into (outdoor) no-till pots?

RenaissanceBrah

Like putting a 1 inch layer of earth worm castings first maybe? Or directly 1/4 inch beneath soil, with cover crops / roots growing all around? Not sure how to maximize success of the seeds sprouting.

------

(Hoping to plant Snowhigh landrace sativa seeds that can be hard to germinate).

I have to leave for the summer, I grow with my friend in his backyard - he provides the space, I do all the technical stuff and gardening - he doesn't know much about it.

Any simple fail-proof instructions to give him to plant those seeds?

(I would tell him to germinate them, etc, but he's pretty busy and wouldn't want to do paper towel method and solo cups, etc... I know the crop could probably fail, but wanted to give it a go anyway, the simplest way possible).

Some pics of my no-till pots (currently have a small autoflower in there I planted earlier in the spring, it didn't get enough sun though).

may 2021 - 1.JPG may 2021 - 3.JPG may 2021 - 2.JPG

troutman

Seed Whore
Mix the worm castings with your soil.

Why don't you germinate the seeds and then go plant them so he can take it from there?
I soak my seeds for 6 to 8 hours and do the paper towel in a baggie method. Once I see
the slightest white spot showing from a germinated seed I plant them. I don't wait until
they make a little root.

If you let him plant them and they fail you'll wish you started them yourself. ;)

If you do what I tell you all he has to do is water them.

RenaissanceBrah

Mix the worm castings with your soil.

Why don't you germinate the seeds and then go plant them so he can take it from there?
I soak my seeds for 6 to 8 hours and do the paper towel in a baggie method. Once I see
the slightest white spot showing from a germinated seed I plant them. I don't wait until
they make a little root.

If you let him plant them and they fail you'll wish you started them yourself. ;)

If you do what I tell you all he has to do is water them.

Thanks - actually I'll try that.

Anything I should do to modify my soil? (By mix worm castings with soil, do you mean remove all soil from no -till pot, and re-mix it?)

(Thing is, I leave the country in 5 days or so, come back in late June. Or should I germinate then, to avoid monster plants if I plant now?)

G

for gods sakes plant now! that cute lil mongoose or ferret, troutman, i cant tell which is right on. 1/4 inch deep is a bit much though..i usually go the depth of the seed on its side. ... idk, maybe coach your friend on putting extra soil around seedlings as they grow tall.... id ask for pics periodically. maybe a cage around your sprouts, until they have 3 sets of leaves.....could be anything....:blowbubbles:
save some seed stock in case it goes wrong

RenaissanceBrah

for gods sakes plant now! that cute lil mongoose or ferret, troutman, i cant tell which is right on. 1/4 inch deep is a bit much though..i usually go the depth of the seed on its side. ... idk, maybe coach your friend on putting extra soil around seedlings as they grow tall.... id ask for pics periodically. maybe a cage around your sprouts, until they have 3 sets of leaves.....could be anything....:blowbubbles:
save some seed stock in case it goes wrong

Thanks, I'll plant now.

Any advice on earth worm castings? I have my own high quality ones, I feed worms with kelp, crab meal, malted barley powder, oyster shell powder, and basalt, apart from organic food scraps.

Was thinking I could put an inch of fresh EWC on top of soil, rapid rooter with seed inside, and hay around the rapid rooter, to smother the cover crop fully. Good plan?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I am gonna sift the soil on the next seeds I pop to make it finer. The coarse soil gave my seedling a hard time on the last seeds I popped.

G

i like the hay at the end, i might put some ewc on top buy also would mix it into the soil.
your worms sound top notch hope it all goes well.....i might find some chicken fence for a cage though....

RenaissanceBrah

i like the hay at the end, i might put some ewc on top buy also would mix it into the soil.
your worms sound top notch hope it all goes well.....i might find some chicken fence for a cage though....

Yup, put up plastic fencing to protect against rabbits, they were getting in there and eating everything up

Latest posts

Latest posts