What's new

Best way to insulate a room?

ijim

6" walls with insulation. Outside drywall taped and finished. Inside double layered drywall. You can tape and seal the first layer with gorilla tape. Then finish the second. I like the reflectex also. It is like bubble wrap with foil on both sides. It helps insulate and is a great light defuser so you don't have hot or dead spots in your room. Now you say your fresh air fan will be outside the room. If you have the bucks for a chiller then you can instal an icebox on your duct entering the room. It is a coil that you instal on your duct that cold water from a heat exchanger flows through. cools the air significantly and keeps the equipment and water outside your room. Search Icebox and chiller. Don't ya love a new project.

Dankgravy

I got my minisplit of craigslist.org for dirt cheap. Figured it was good for 6 more months while I save for a new one. solved alot of headaces for me. It would prob work even better if the room was properly insulated. good luck

Dr dank I want to do something similar. do you have a scetch or diagram of how things were set up or maybe a pic

I've been checking craigslist but unfortunately nothing under $1k has popped up yet. I'll def be keeping a lookout though

supermanlives, do you only use 1 layer of Reflectix? Also, what's a good R-value for that foam board insulation in a warmer humid climate?

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
r-13 on the walls and floor. r-19 on the ceiling. screw the portable and get a small window banger. portable takes up too much space and are not efficient at all. try not to skimp with environment. my room stays 68 degrees lights out with 5-10 degree outside temps.