What's new

Best way to install a fitting in plastic pail?

BlindDate

Veteran
I would never use tapered pipe threads for a bulkhead situation. You need to seal on the outside of the thread, not the inside.

I've used the uniseals for years and NEVER had a leak. Since they seal around the diameter and not the face, curvature is irrelevant.

rrog

Veteran
I have the Uniseals to try. Side note, though. The O-rings don't seal the treads. They seal the fixture to the face of the pail...in theory.

The Uniseals look more prone to user error. To me they look this way. I'll try and see, but they're essentially grommets and as a category (based on my reading and reading) grommets don't have the success rate of O-rings. Obviously Uniseals are mot your average grommet.

JohnnyToke

I'll be damned. And these work OK on a curved bucket surface?

I used those on my 1st set of 5 gal buckets and had leak problems. I could never get the o-rings to make a good seal. A few didnt leak but it only took one.

my 2nd go round, I used grommets and barb fittings. these worked better but had root plugging issues due to the 1/2" opening.

my 3rd set of buckets, I used 1" uniseals with 1" pvc pipe which there are no leak issues and work great. these are all I use now.

JT

rrog

Veteran
That is great to know. Like I said, I have a Uniseal to try, as well as many others converging on my house. I'll try 'em all and report back

Thank you all for taking time from your day to offer a point. Really very appreciated.

rrog

Veteran
Yea, there are solutions that don't need sealant. That's why I'm looking to narrow down the list here.

Thanks

SKUNK420

Like a couple people have said just use flood and drain fittings. They will seal to the round surface of the bucket. Use a hole saw to cut the hole. Do not use a wood spade bit unless you are crafty with the hand tools (do a search for a picture of one) and do not press real hard when drilling through the bucket because the plastic may crack.

opt1c

Veteran
i loves me some uniseals :) just make sure you cut the right diameter hole the first time; dremel is nice to enlarge a hole in a pinch too.. don't ask me how i know ;)

darkhollo

I believe this company is using something like uniseals.
http://www.cch2o.com

sweet fscking setup.

I never saw the uniseals til this thread. I'd like to try them out.
I used grommets from a supplier online to do RDWC with 2" pipe. I DIYed the above setup.

I think the uniseals are a great way. I'd like to hear your results on them.

S

squirrelfooker

This is what I use on all my thru wall fittings for my RDWC.
pvc-fitting-436-mal-adapter-sxmips.jpg

Along with this.
pvc-fitting-435-female-adapter-sxfips.jpg

Then I use two o-rings. I try to get a tight fitting o-ring so it seals around the treads well. Have used this set up many times with no leaks. I also drill the hole for the fittings so that you have to screw them thru the bucket. Hope this helps you out.

I do the same, worked perfect. You need the male threaded side to not be tapered down and threadless at the base of it. You need threads all the way to that shoulder so it will seat against the bucket. The shoulder needs to be flat and not rounded off. I can't remember who has which, but either home depot or lowes had the wrong ones, one had the right kind.

rrog

Veteran
Squirrel that is one handy tidbit. Thanks for stopping by and adding that man.

opt1c

Veteran
i use uniseal grommets for all my bulkhead fittings; super easy to assemble and disassemble... all u need is a bit of soapy water and a rubber mallet... they are nice cuz u can actually just run a hose through the uniseal and not get any leaks... saves a lot of extra fittings and connections... i think the most expensive part of my last diy dwc were all the fittings... shit adds up fast at home depot... feels weird when you're walking out of the store with 1/2" and 3/4" fittings $100 dollars lighter in the wallet and everything is in the smallest bag they have

rrog

Veteran
Thats funny opt. Another vote for Uniseals. Wow. Well, I have some and I'll test them also.

Latest posts

Latest posts