What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best way to determine when seeds are fully ripe?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
if you go for seeds, let her finish her life and let it die, forget the flowers.

The weed from my seed runs always tasted bad anyway. I couldn't smoke it. I presume once they are making seeds they don't need to bother smelling nice to insects. I have only done about 6 proper seed runs but each has just been bunches of seeds and no bud development as such. Just bracts that taste like straw.

After so many runs, I presumed this is the way?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Sort of, but I'm pretty sure beans would finish up their last week or two under 18/6. Maybe not ideal, but would work fine I think.

Once producing seeds, I think you can actually go back to 24h light. They are not flowering anymore. I was going to speak of this in my last post about useless bud quality.

I should really find you a source but the forum users will straighten me out if needed :)

Mr. Stinky

I've reveged lots of seeded plants in 24/0 after about 2 weeks. Gets them out of the production room quickly and this way I dont need to keep clones of each one while I make seed. And theres less chance of mixing up keeper cuttings
picture.php

Vesti

Seeds

Seeds

Once producing seeds, I think you can actually go back to 24h light. They are not flowering anymore. I was going to speak of this in my last post about useless bud quality.

I should really find you a source but the forum users will straighten me out if needed :)

Yea, I think you are almost certainly right. And practically speaking, by the time her sister sensimellas are chopped she is entering late senescence, and having done her job of securing a future for her genes likely doesn't feel the need (or have the energy) to throw balls at that point.

Just surmising, of course, and as you say I'm sure someone will set us straight if our thinking here is a little wonky!

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
When very heavy polinated some wont ripen like 10% and seeds could end up differnt sizes.

Yep, seen it often where a portion of beans don't seem to ever want to ripen properly or blow out to their full size. So easy to hit the girls too hard, hey?! :spanky:

billy

Last edited:

St. Phatty

You store your bud in Tupperware.

The top Tupperware is to protect the seeds from your pet bird.

But sometimes you forget, and forget to put the "Shield" Tupperware on top of your Tupperware Bud Stack - and she eats the seeds.

The ones that aren't eaten - are fully ripe !

HGCC

Yea, I think you are almost certainly right. And practically speaking, by the time her sister sensimellas are chopped she is entering late senescence, and having done her job of securing a future for her genes likely doesn't feel the need (or have the energy) to throw balls at that point.

Just surmising, of course, and as you say I'm sure someone will set us straight if our thinking here is a little wonky!

I may end up pulling some stuff inside and finishing seed plants on a window sill if it gets too cold outside. Will see how it goes, seeds should be ready in mid to late jan but I assume the colder temps they are in are slowing it down a bit so may have to adjust if we wind up with extended periods of single digit or teens.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The weed from my seed runs always tasted bad anyway. I couldn't smoke it. I presume once they are making seeds they don't need to bother smelling nice to insects. I have only done about 6 proper seed runs but each has just been bunches of seeds and no bud development as such. Just bracts that taste like straw.

After so many runs, I presumed this is the way?

All the pot around here before 1983 was seeded with mature seeds. The seed content became variable after that. The shittier but often skunkily dank pot had immature seeds.

Once producing seeds, I think you can actually go back to 24h light.

Might not be good for the seeds or your electric bill.

Hollow seeds are an idiot light. I've harvested many plants for seed at just the right time, and they were nowhere near dead. Fan leaves maybe. If they look dead, they've probably been dead for a while.

UFOpilot

My rule always was,wait at least 4 weeks before harvesting seeds.
But recently I have tested a few times if the bad ones were still usable.
The bad looking seeds(pale,small,flat) that had not ripened long enough,
I gave a cold period for a week in the fridge.
Then see if they sprouted. And a lot of them did!
And they also grew in a normal way.

So,if you only have a little amount of seeds,don't throw away the "bad ones".

billyblog

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone here noticed how indica beans are generally quicker to ripen than sativa beans? I guess that's directly proportionate to their respective flowering times.

I've had indica beans ripen to deep dark brown and testing highly viable in slightly less than 4 weeks from pollination but that included a slow hang drying which I gather allows them to keep drawing sap as they're curing. Just sayin...

billy

funkyhorse

I hope this is the right thread to post seed questions:
I notice that my own repro of a strain takes longer(48-72 hours) to show roots than the ones from the seedbank which show roots in just 24 hours in paper towel
Is there a special treatment being done to seeds by some seedbanks so they sprout faster?
It doesnt really make a difference at the end of the grow if the seed took a day more or less to germ as long as they are viable and germ but I am curious to know

I am also seeing some old seed germing as fast as and being more vigorous than fresh seed and I dont understand enough to find an explanation for this to happen. I am seeing this happening in a strain made by Afropips called Tribal Vision which should have been done before 2008 and from different strains/seed made by SamS I dont know when

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
sure, very fresh seeds contains much anti germinating parts in some strains, which will decompose by different factors (temperature, humidity, time)

and think about the origin of the strain easiest way to have some clue about which method will help to get rid of those retardants if you consider what is the main threat of the seed before next spring season,

from tropics maybe the water resistant coating is the key
winter survivors may need to be treated with cold

SolarLogos

How long do you all cure your seeds after harvesting them. I've been keeping mine in open jars on shelves out of sunlight for about 5 weeks or so before vacuum sealing them and putting them into the fridge. Just curious what others are doing.